3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

going to wax the ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:56 AM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to wax the ram

Ok, I broke down and went to Kragen and loaded up on all sorts of goodies. I bought the McGuires NXT wax, the show car glaze and an orbital buffer. I have a question. What process do you use witht he orbital. I have polished and waxed my previous trucks with a higher power rotary polisher. I thought that the orbital would be a better use on the new truck (less risk of a screw up). The orbital came with 2 different bonnets. One was wool, and the other one was something else, I cant remeber. The wool is for polishing and the other for buffing. Do you uses the orbital for appl ying and taking off? Before I have used the wool for poilishing and then wiped off by hand and then waxed by hand. Any recomendations or suggestion. Oh, by the way, my truck is black and I have read some previous post on black trucks. That led me to make my purchases on the nxt wax.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:22 AM
RcBandit28
Captain
Default RE: going to wax the ram

I've never been a big fan of the orbital buffers. But I guess they serve their purpose. I believe you can both apply and remove w/it. But I would apply it by hand and buff it off if it was me. When I've used the more powerful rotary buffers, the wool pads were always more aggressive and had more bite to them and can damage easier, so you may want to use the other pad for the polishing.

I've been a detailer for going on 7 years, and I just don't think anything beats a good hand wax job, I sometimes like to buff vehicles w/a light compound and hit it with a rotary buffer, then go back over it with a high quality glaze and just wipe it down w/Cheese cloth. This also helps assure a lesser chance of swirl marks.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 AM
mill500
Veteran

Check this site out...these guys are pretty serious about care care. They like the Porter Cable buffer, but the instructions should apply to most any buffer.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html

Old 01-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Daddywags
Record Breaker

I wouldn't suggest taking it off with the orbital since your truck is black. Instead I would put it on with it and then buff it out in a forward to back pattern to prevent swirl marks.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:45 AM
stump_breaker
Captain

Going to "wax the Ram". Thought that was one of those double entendre's or something