3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plz need help Can not stop running lean

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 11:43 PM
eray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plz need help Can not stop running lean

Its a 2004 ram 1500 4.7 started running lean a month or so ago cant figure it out iv done intake manifold gaskets,pcv valve and tube,rollover valve was busted fixed it,iac valve,throttle position sensor,air intake temp sensor, coolant sensor, ignition coils, sparkplugs, ran some fuel line, map sensor, half a dozen o2 sensors,valve cover passenger side was leaking,evap pump, purge canister, fuel pressure holds at about 58 running drops a few minutes after turning off restarted computer when i scan it its fine then trims start going up slowly iv checked every ground i can find good battery what am i missing starting to run hot and only vehicle i own i drive about 50 miles a day so gas is killing my wallet im so frustrated its insane plz god someone got any ideas cant find any vacuum leaks i work sunday to Wednesday then im working on it in the sun all day 7am to 7pm im beyond my body’s limits being a cancer patient with multiple surgeries done im 34 but feel 60 single dad and its killing me but i cant quit on it what can it be please guys any step by step to diagnose iv sprayed bottle of carb cleaner everywhere no change

Last edited by eray; 04-29-2024 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Adding to
Old 04-30-2024, 12:42 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Breathe.

Replaced
Intake Manifold Gaskets
PCV Valve + Tube
Rollover Valve (fixed)
IAC Valve
Throttle Position Sensor
Air Intake Temp Sensor
Coolant Temp Sensor
Ignition Coils
Spark Plugs
New fuel line
MAP Sensor
Multiple O2 sensors
Valve Cover Gaskets (leaking oil)
EVAP Pump
Purge Canister
Fuel Pressure Holds 58 (Excellent)

Symptoms
Fuel Trims Climb and engine is running hotter

What are the trims and how are you testing them?
How's the coolant level?
Is it consuming any coolant?
Is the oil milky?
Is the water pump original?
How does the air filter look?
What brand O2 sensors have you used? Dodge trucks often have issues with aftermarket sensors. You might be chasing a red herring.
Did you switch gas stations about a month ago?

Last edited by Prismatic; 04-30-2024 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:27 AM
eray

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Breathe.

Replaced
Intake Manifold Gaskets
PCV Valve + Tube
Rollover Valve (fixed)
IAC Valve
Throttle Position Sensor
Air Intake Temp Sensor
Coolant Temp Sensor
Ignition Coils
Spark Plugs
New fuel line
MAP Sensor
Multiple O2 sensors
Valve Cover Gaskets (leaking oil)
EVAP Pump
Purge Canister
Fuel Pressure Holds 58 (Excellent)

Symptoms
Fuel Trims Climb and engine is running hotter

What are the trims and how are you testing them?
How's the coolant level?
Is it consuming any coolant?
Is the oil milky?
Is the water pump original?
How does the air filter look?
What brand O2 sensors have you used? Dodge trucks often have issues with aftermarket sensors. You might be chasing a red herring.
Did you switch gas stations about a month ago?
Sorry im just so tired and beat work 12hr days then try to work on the truck my days off keeps raining me in and gotta get this fixed i was gonna take the throttle body off but passed out wake up and its raining lol on trims max out at 32% after warming up and driving im testing with my launch scanner live data
no oil in coolant or vice versa water pump changed a lil over a year ago changed thermostat when started to get hot air filter is a few months old o2 sensors iv changed out nkg i think and some cheap ones now i think bosch on upstream and use the same gas station my coworker has same truck and has warranty on fuel pump and radiator and said i can use his warranty wanna make sure before wasting that but im stumped out of ideas and broke

Old 05-02-2024, 05:39 AM
Prismatic
All Star

Before wasting time on a fuel pump take your truck out for a drive with the fuel pressure gauge hooked up, if you can tuck it up through the hood. If the pressure is good don't even bother.

You can get a set of fuel injectors on Amazon for like $60 for the 4.7. A clogged or failing injector can cause a lean issue.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:22 PM
eray

Before wasting time on a fuel pump take your truck out for a drive with the fuel pressure gauge hooked up, if you can tuck it up through the hood. If the pressure is good don't even bother.

You can get a set of fuel injectors on Amazon for like $60 for the 4.7. A clogged or failing injector can cause a lean issue.
iv heard horror storys about those I ordered a set and returned them cause they just felt cheap i took all of the packs out and injecters cleaned them i did notice a few have a crack going down the side of them runs good until she warms up and start getting in the pedal then maxed fuel trims all of a sudden i dont know are those injectors ok

Old 05-04-2024, 02:07 AM
Prismatic
All Star

Originally Posted by eray
iv heard horror storys about those I ordered a set and returned them cause they just felt cheap i took all of the packs out and injecters cleaned them i did notice a few have a crack going down the side of them runs good until she warms up and start getting in the pedal then maxed fuel trims all of a sudden i dont know are those injectors ok
How did you clean them? Did you energize the coils while shooting pressurized carb clean through? I have this tool ->
Amazon Amazon
and it works good. Lets you pulse the injectors while spraying cleaner through.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:20 AM
eray

How did you clean them? Did you energize the coils while shooting pressurized carb clean through? I have this tool -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CD2CV7XR and it works good. Lets you pulse the injectors while spraying cleaner through.
i used a battery and spray can rig and a jewelry cleaner lots of crud came out she fired up ran perfect until i gunned it then all sensors i ges went crazy about 1 min into drive it appears i have a huge electrical problem im guessing iat sensor reading -40, o2 sensors max volt, map goes crazy, all at once and the same times by what im seeing here are some pictures as it wont let me post the recording it all seems to start when fuel loop opens so where should i look or is it a computer fried iv fixed some wiring issues and bank 2 seemed to drop a bit but im not good with electrical at all to time consuming

ing

Old 05-05-2024, 12:12 AM
eray

Well funny i took all the wiring apart fuse box, computer and all grounds used contact cleaner brush and let dry inside as its been raining all day and went to start it and she runs fine so far no lean condition but battery charge while running is now 13.5-7 was running 14.3-5 everything seemed to be running good mpgs back at round 12 in town havent hit highway yet or try ac or radio dont wanna jinx it got work in the morning

Quick Reply: Plz need help Can not stop running lean