3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no crank no start C-Codes AA and AB

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 10:41 PM
Dodge-Freak
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no crank no start C-Codes AA and AB

so long story short i’ve rebuilt my truck from the frame up, it’s ready to start but it won’t even make a noise when turning the key, i got it to show C-Codes, it’s showing AA and AB which is PCM and TCM messages not received, it there anything i have to check or do to make this go away ANY help is greatly appreciated

Old 06-07-2024, 07:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

What year is your truck? Engine? Trans?

Old 06-07-2024, 08:54 AM
Dodge-Freak
Amateur

46re

im fairly certain it’s the PCM and ECM grounds , and the 2 engine grounds on the passenger side that’s causing my problems, but if not then idk what

Old 06-07-2024, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

PCM has nothing to do with the cranking circuit. It's all about the relay. I don't know if the relay's in yours are removable..... but, Trans in park, ignition in start position, (a second warm body makes this a LOT easier....) you should see 12 volts on pin 85 of the relay socket, and pin 86 should go to ground. Either being missing will result in a no crank condition.

Are you sure that a 46RE??? and not the 45RFE??

Old 06-07-2024, 11:00 AM
Dodge-Freak
Amateur

i’m not too sure on the trans, that’s what i thought it was but also i ran into way bigger problems, i added 2 grounds, 1 for the PCM 1 for the ECM checked all motor grounds and some other computer grounds, all good, but after i turned the key again and got the terrifying “no bus” message, and i have no idea what causing it or where to start, or even fully know what that means, i called the dealership and they said “i don’t even know what that means” so no help there

Old 06-07-2024, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The dealership is pullin' your chain. They know exactly what it means. At least, the service department should.

I would start be removing your grounds, on at a time, and see if things come back. I suspect you are grounding something you shouldn't.

Quick Reply: no crank no start C-Codes AA and AB