3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7 blowing smoke and loud knock at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:32 AM
RLHawk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 blowing smoke and loud knock at high rpm

Hello all. This is my first thread on here but have read many that have helped. Hoping you all can help me today. I bought an '03 1500 4x4 Laramie with the 5.7 hemi. It ran, but barely. Once I trailered it home and looked closer in the daylight, there wasn't any oil in it. I filled it and now it smokes and knocks loud at around 3k rpm. It barely idles and absolutely no power at any range. The girl I bought it from said the truck had been put on its side. She also showed me the print out from an O'Reilly scan. It said the MAP sensor needed replaced, fuel injectors 5 circuit open, injector circuit cylinder 6, and fuel system 1/1 rich. I assume there is alot going on, but the knocking and smoke have me concerned the most. From what I've seen on other threads I will do a compression check tomorrow. If anyone has any ideas I would be eternally greatful.

Old Today, 07:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

If it ran for any appreciable time without oil..... rings and bearings are going to suffer. If it is knocking already, that's only gonna get worse. Time for a different motor, or a rebuild.

Old Today, 08:51 AM
RLHawk

Thank you for the insight. While its not good news, it is what i figured and was afraid of. I hoped that with the knock and smoke only showing up at around 3k rpm that maybe it wad a valve spring or something of that nature. Wouldn't the knock sensor have kicked in and put it in limp mode? Just no telling how long she ran it with no oil. I plan to do a compression check today.

Old Today, 03:13 PM
RLHawk
Default Valve seals?

Well, ..... more bad news. I put air pressure in cylinder 1 and its not pressurizing. Most of the air comes back out the oil filler tube, but there is a very small amount that also comes out the dipstick tube. My undereducated assumption would be that the valve seals are gone in this cylinder (or worse, cracked head). Any tests you may know of to see if it is just the seals or hole in the piston? Any other suggestions?

Old Today, 03:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

If you are getting it out the oil fill, that goes directly to the crank case, same as the dipstick tube, as the oil fill is larger, that's where most of the air will go. (path of least resistance) Either the rings are REALLY bad, or you have a hole in the piston.

Old Today, 05:19 PM
RLHawk

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you are getting it out the oil fill, that goes directly to the crank case, same as the dipstick tube, as the oil fill is larger, that's where most of the air will go. (path of least resistance) Either the rings are REALLY bad, or you have a hole in the piston.
That's what I was afraid of. It sounds like I need to do a complete engine swap. There goes the pocketbook. Thank you HeyYou for the respond.

Quick Reply: 5.7 blowing smoke and loud knock at high rpm