3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wierd Code/ Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:55 PM
ogram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Code/ Check Engine

Hi All,
New guy here with an unusual (to me) issue. I have a 2003 Ram Quad Cab, 5.7, with 95000 miles. I bought it new in '03. I went over the hill from where I live to Reno last Wednesday, did my business, and started home. Shortly after getting back on the freeway to return home, the motor gave a little hiccup and the check engine light came on. I kept driving, watching the gauges and listening/feeling for any more issues, but nothing happened. Truck had full power, ran fine, and got me home that night. Got up next morning, went and started the truck, no check engine light and ran fine. Put the code reader on it and got P020# codes on 6 of eight cylinders, cylinders 3 and 7, no code. Seems weird that I would get simultaneous malfunction codes on 6 of 8 cylinders. I've looked at everything simple and everything looks good. I cleared the codes and have driven the truck some to see if they show up again, so far nothing. Could it be an altitude issue, since I went from more or less sea level to over 7000 feet and back? I'm baffled, anyone had a similar experience or maybe some wisdom to share? Thanks!

Old Today, 04:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,299 Likes on 3,045 Posts

Injector circuit problem. Given the number of them you are getting a code for, I would suspect an issue on the power side of the injector circuit. There are a couple splices in there that may cause an issue. Coils are fed from the same power feed, so, it's likely your problem is AT or after the splice where injector power feeds break off.

Moving this to third gen ram section for ya.

Quick Reply: Wierd Code/ Check Engine