3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake change....05 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 08:55 PM
05ramlaramie
|
Veteran
Default RE: Brake change....05 Ram

well...I got 1 out of 3 questions answered....

please do not change the topic yet.

So you think my rotors are definitely warped???? Will the dealer take care of this no problem??? what was your approach when your rotors were warped?? Did you tell the dealer...THEY ARE WARPED..REPLACE THEM!!! or did they check out the truck first and give you the run around....Cant find anything wrong at this time...lol

Also....my other questions WERE: at what mileage did you change out your brakes and at what cost from the dealer.

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:23 PM
WingViper
All Star

I changed my brakes when they started to squeal a bit, only had to do the fronts. Did it myself. Bought Duralast brakes for like $36 and they have a lifetime warranty, so you take them back with the reciept and they give you new ones, BLAM. Easy as cake.

Not sure about the warped rotor problem. Never had one and this is the first vehicle I've ever had with a warranty.

P.S. Where'd you get the dash inlay. I like it. Is it smooth or ridged?

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:27 PM
05ramlaramie
|
Veteran

thats cool....so you only have to buy once...huh??? NICE

Do you remember how many miles before you changed the pads????

This is my first non-manual vehicle and truck for that matter.....I was thinking brakes would last to around 20-25k miles.

I NEVER had to change a set on any car yet though.....Ive had 4 brand new vehicles in the past 5 years and never reached over 20k miles on any of them...plus they were all manual so the brakes lasted longer!

I was thinking I would bring the truck in for a brake pad change and the 18,000 mile service since I havent brought the truck in since its first oil change.....Ive been changing the oil (synthetic) and rotating the tires myself.

I want them to perform the 18-20k mile service short of changing the oil....I'll do that.

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:28 PM
05ramlaramie
|
Veteran

ORIGINAL: WingViper

P.S. Where'd you get the dash inlay. I like it. Is it smooth or ridged?
what do you mean??? I dont know what you are referring to....

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:31 PM
WingViper
All Star

Actually, now that I think about it, I changed the pads at 30k, not when they started to squeak. I had a squeaking noise and thought changing the brakes might help. In fact I remember them being rusty (they were original pads from 19k miles in Indiana winter). They actually had alot of pad left on them. I'd suggest just popping off a tire or stickin your head up in there to look and see how much pad you have left. Alot of highway miles plus soft braking and aero-braking might have saved you alot of pad.

Your silver center dash piece around your stereo and environmental control unit

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:33 PM
05ramlaramie
|
Veteran

30k miles....nice

My brake squeal maybe slightly every now and then once under 10mph and coming to a soft stop....not often though...

chances are I have plenty of pad left....I guess my rotors are warped though....ill have to take a wheel off and spin the rotor and see whats up.

if thats the case though...I hope they dont give me a hard time to change them out...its under warranty correct??

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:34 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

Has anybody gone with drilled and slotted rotors? And has anybody tried those green brake pads...their like organic or something?

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:35 PM
05ramlaramie
|
Veteran

the silver is part of my dash bezel...if you look at my pics..i have the silver inserts on all the doors as well.

It came standard with my Laramie package....otherwise I believe just the silver dash bezel sells for around 300.

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:38 PM
WingViper
All Star

Damn, that may be too expensive for my taste. I have the billet inserts for the Infinity system...which is crap and I plan on ripping out anyways. Maybe I'll throw in the HEMI ones.

I've never had warped rotors so I have no clue on that. One of the guys with a higher intellect than mine will surely figure that out for ya.

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:46 PM
05ramlaramie
|
Veteran

yea i have the infinity inserts also...even though now the only infinity piece I have is the sub....ripped out the stock system too!!

Quick Reply: Brake change....05 Ram