3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What would you do with $1000 . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006 | 02:31 AM
tincup
|
Default What would you do with $1000 . . .

Hello all. Been popping in on the forum for a little while now and wanted to introduce myself. I own a black '04 QC 1500 with a Hemi. Wife is allowing me a budget of $1000 to do some mods on my truck. Truck is stock other than a line-x liner. So what mods would you start with?? Thanks.

Old 01-29-2006 | 02:34 AM
FL_ThunderRoad
Professional
Default RE: What would you do with $1000 . . .

CAI, FLOWMASTER, Maybe a Superchip for starters!

Old 01-29-2006 | 03:03 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: tincup

Hello all. Been popping in on the forum for a little while now and wanted to introduce myself. I own a black '04 QC 1500 with a Hemi. Wife is allowing me a budget of $1000 to do some mods on my truck. Truck is stock other than a line-x liner. So what mods would you start with?? Thanks.
Well it all depends on what you plan to do with the truck.....but a few easy ones are.....

Air Intake Kit....whether it be Cold Air or Ram Air....
Flowmaster exhaust
K/N Air filter
Superchip definitely

I would do those first and foremost...as that can help with the HP and somewhat on the MPG.....and for the most part....thats about $400-600 worth of stuff on its own...

Sidestep rails/running boards arent a bad investment...specially if you or the wife is short and gonna be driving it alot....they arent for everyone...but they might be for you

If you are gonna keep it mainly a street truck (very little or no offroading) I'd swap out the factory rotors and get a set of drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic or metallic brakes.....better braking power and an ideal upgrade...you can check out eBaY for sales on them. I just bought a set of rotors, all 4, drilled/slotted for $160 delivered to my house....but mind you..i have a car....even still...you could do much the same...

I'd also consider things like a bed cover or rims or sidesteps...it all depends on what YOU really want to do with the truck...as without that kind of info it kind of limits us with what we can tell you...for example...if you were gonna make this into an off-road truck....you'd get a different response on items....

Old 01-29-2006 | 03:08 AM
tincup
|

DR: Mostly street, very little off road (if any) and a truck I am going to keep. I have factory 20s and am satisfied with the look of those wheels. I am 6'2" so I am no really worried about rails/boards. Mostly looking for performance mods.

Old 01-29-2006 | 03:28 AM
Crash

Hmmm, looks like we might be married to the same woman as my wife has allowed me to
spend the same amount on my 2005 QC Hemi. I agree with the other members on the upgrades
and that is what I am going to buy. Flowmaster exhaust seems to be the exhaust of choice but
I was leaning toward Magnaflow dual exit straight out the back. It costs about $460, any thoughts
on Magnaflow? The K&N series 77 with the polished intake tube is really nice also so I will purchase
that too with the allowance I was given . I found it for $250. Prices sound good to you? Thanks.

Chris

Old 01-29-2006 | 03:36 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: tincup

DR: Mostly street, very little off road (if any) and a truck I am going to keep. I have factory 20s and am satisfied with the look of those wheels. I am 6'2" so I am no really worried about rails/boards. Mostly looking for performance mods.
Then what we've posted already will do that for you. For $1000, you wont get alot of the "good" upgrades....but the ones that are posted will get it done. It wont be super fast, but you'll notice a difference...and you should hopefully notice a better mpg as well.

Maybe a working hood scoop/intake? I dunno how other people feel about them, but I like them...

Old 01-29-2006 | 07:03 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran

Exhaust, Tint, Cold Air Intake or possibly a lift.

Old 01-29-2006 | 07:13 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran

I personally do not like flowmaster exhausts...I went with an Air Force 1 exhaust with chrome tips...it exits out of the back, kinda to the corners they call it the "extreme" exit...That was $360...my K&N intake was $280 (after shipping) and for the 04-05 HEMI the superchips flashpaq is about $400-$450...all of that added up and it is...$1,090...like i said i do not like flowmaster...when i went to the muffler shop i told the guy "i want the deepest sounding exhaust that will perform the best" and he set me up with the Air Force 1...if you can find that I highly recommend it

[IMG]local://upfiles/25949/263D9789D8534C6EAAD4E11AF492004F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2006 | 12:52 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I love Flowmasters! Never heard an Air Force 1 . . . I'd be curious to hear the sound. You might be surprised, but when shops try to push a certain brand of muffler, its usually because they get a monetary incentive. Heck, I push a certain brand of windows in the homes we build for the same reason. Windows are windows, but when the manufacturer sends me a check for selling them, it gives added motivation. I don't have any gripes against any of the muffler brands. I just found each one had different benefits and drawbacks. Magnaflows were too quiet for me, AeroTurbines sounded good on the website, but never heard one in person. I just loved the sound of the Flowmaster.

Are their any sound clips of a Hemi with the exhaust you have?

Old 01-30-2006 | 05:18 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

Honestly, I searched on the web for about 30 minutes one night looking for info on Air Force 1 exhaust, & I didn't find anything...but i have seen people post on here saying they had an AF1 intake...I had never heard of it until I went to that muffler shop (it's called Schaffers Muffler, it's in Corpus Christi, TX.) I will try to post at least an audio clip of my truck...it really sounds good...but I do not really have a way to get audio or video of it...but I'll look for a way. I'm pretty sure I have heard our trucks with flowmasters on them...they are loud, but i just think mine is really deep and sounds more like a modified type engine...I might be able to get my best friend's dads camcorder...but ill have to see about that...hope i can do it soon...

Quick Reply: What would you do with $1000 . . .