3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:22 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: gas mileage?

ORIGINAL: tamuccmike

thanks cbrewster, point proven...i live in fort worth, tx...and even on 820 where it's 5 lanes, at 8 o'clock in the morning...all that "staying in this lane or that lane" doesnt work, because its constant stop-and-go traffic, and hey i gotta move over into another lane because this jackass didnt yield...not an option, and even if it were, it wouldnt help...& driving to where you NEVER go above 2,000 RPM...not possible either...its called accelerating to get onto the interstate/loop without getting creamed...is it even possible to drive to work on a highway and not exceed 2,000 RMP? I seriously seriously doubt that by taking all of that advice, id go from my current 14.6-15.5 mpg mark, to 20...5 more miles per gallon is not possible with driving habits alone...yes it helps, but not that much...all trucks are different, and i feel damn lucky to get 15mpg after reading what others post on here (10-12mpg constantly.) Maybe your truck has some kind of program from the factory that they decided to put ONLY on your truck? They said, "Hey, we will really make this one particular truck get 20+ mpg." But, I highly doubt it...in fact i have never seen anyone post better than about 18mpg....but 20? because of some MINOR driving habits (with the exclusion of the 2,000 RPM thing.) I don't know what else to say...oh and whilst I'm ranting..."and if you want even better fuel economey then toss in a set of 4.56's, electric fan & underdrive pulley... " how much does that cost again?
I live in EULESS and had to drive 183-820N to Mark4 Every day for 2 years in my truck... and If I wanted too I was able to get 18MPG in the STOP and go traffic... the trick was to do allot of coasting whenever possible and do your best to maintain one speed. I have driven in the SAME EXACT traffic as you and YES its a parking lot at times... no question about that... but YES if you at least TRY the sugestions you will see an improvment over what you are seeing now.

I know a shop Texas Drivetrain Performance who will do your gears parts+labor for 425.00 on a 2x4 and he will do th e4x4's for 850.00 parts and labor.... I can hook you up if you like.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-08-2006, 01:34 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: cbrewer954

I have an 03 4x4 qc with the hemi, I just got the best mileage I've ever had yesterday. Coming back down from Yosemite I got all of 12 mpg. That's downhill cruising at 75 with cruise control set and no a/c. going up I got all of 11.8

If you’re going "DOWN HILL" why on earth would you set the cruse to 75MPH??... don’t you know that your truck applies the breaks all by itself to maintain speed going down hill... You could have gotten 100MPG (NO JOKE) just by setting the truck in "NUTRAL" and applying the brakes manually.

I took a trip from DFW to ARIZONA and back ... we went PHEONIX for the weekend then off to Flagstaff.... with the 4.56's I was to maintain 19.8 MPG for the entire trip combined to include the weekend city stop and go traffic using the SAME EXACT methods I suggested to you guys ... but I was very strict and did NOT break any of the "RULES" once... Going up hill I was able to maintain OVERDRIVE for most the entire way up and got 14-15MPG (OVERHEAD) (This dropped the AVERAGE from 20+) and on the way down (ANY hill that was steep enough to maintain set speed) put it into neutral and coasted till the speed started to slow... then I threw it back into OD...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-08-2006, 01:41 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

let's see a non-photoshopped picture of this digital read out for your 19+ mpg...& in the picture, somehow prove that it's your truck! that'd be outstanding..

Here you go... this is from the 2400 mile trip from DFW to Florida and back... average speed was ...>GULP... a blistering 65MPH... with 2 days of STOP and go traffic.

The AVERAGE is 20.1 and these pictures where taken just outside of Dallas on the way home... we where about 50 miles out at this time...

The DTE is IMPOSSIBLE to fudge..... I would like to see ANYONE post a better DTE than 456!! That is an average of what your getting a tank!

You wanted PROOF thats my truck....? OK look at the WINDOW banner... thats our =AIR=RAM=> LOGO!

Guys Im not BSing you... I have NOTHING to gain. Im just trying to help you get better fuel economey in a HUGE truck!

by the way, K&N is the best intake out there just to let you know
I will be more than happy to show ANYONE my tailgate! Even if you have a HEMI! LOL, well it will have to wait till ai get the tune right... but I WILL BE RUNNING low 9's in the 1/8th.... possibly high 8's.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-08-2006, 01:49 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

sorry to keep posting....but i didnt even see this in all his previous posts...2002 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4.7L, FM PORTED HEAD's, FM 212 cams, FM 70mm TB, H/O Intake, =AIR=RAM=> Induction, =JET=STREAM=>, BG flash, Gibson headers, 4:56 Gears, "Modified" ASP Pulley, 180 T-Stat, Fram HP-1, DENSO "IRIDIUM" PLUGS, MRK 8 Electric Fan 4.7....i see...well, whatever
LOL... NOT all those mods where not on the truck at that time... well some of them where...

at that time I had

2002 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4.7L, H/O cams, FM 70mm TB, H/O Intake, =AIR=RAM=> Induction System, =JET=STREAM=>, 4:56 Gears, "Modified" ASP Pulley, 180 T-Stat, Fram HP-1, DENSO "IRIDIUM" PLUGS, Electric Fan.

So yes I have done a few mods... but the only ones that really help fuel economy are the FAN, Under drive pulley, =AIR=RAM=> Induction Sys., =JET=STREAM=>SCOOP and 4.56 Gears.... ohh and the BIGGEST factor of all.... Driving style!!

BUT this was the point of the originally posters question.... HOW to increase fuel economy... well there you have it!

ORIGINAL: justinp923

just got a 06, 1500 quad cab sport. can't get better than 13mpg. anyone have any suggestions to increase fuel economy?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-08-2006, 01:55 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES?
[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Again I have been around this 3rd Gen Ram since the day it came out... I have made it my business to make my truck FASTER and BETTER than stock... I have tested and tuned and most importantly LEARNED.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-08-2006, 04:49 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Air Ram, I think comparing your truck (heavily modded) to a stock-ish truck when it comes to mileage is like apples and oranges. Actually I believe you do get fairly decent mileage and here's why; in my old 2003 Avalanche with 40k miles and the 5.3, when I drove I averaged 16ish mpg. Now when my granny-driving wife drove it, get this, 21 mpg! So the biggest thing is driving habits. Me, I like to hear the pipes roar and she couldn't care less. Same way on the current Dodge. Me about 14-15 and my wife was hitting 18 BEFORE it had time to break in. Once again, the pipe thing (LOL).

Now it mostly stays parked and she racks up the miles on the beat-to-crap Geo Prizm driving into Dallas everyday. I'm curious what she could get now that it has 9k miles or so.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:16 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: stump_breaker

Hey Air Ram, I think comparing your truck (heavily modded) to a stock-ish truck when it comes to mileage is like apples and oranges. Actually I believe you do get fairly decent mileage and here's why; in my old 2003 Avalanche with 40k miles and the 5.3, when I drove I averaged 16ish mpg. Now when my granny-driving wife drove it, get this, 21 mpg! So the biggest thing is driving habits. Me, I like to hear the pipes roar and she couldn't care less. Same way on the current Dodge. Me about 14-15 and my wife was hitting 18 BEFORE it had time to break in. Once again, the pipe thing (LOL).

Now it mostly stays parked and she racks up the miles on the beat-to-crap Geo Prizm driving into Dallas everyday. I'm curious what she could get now that it has 9k miles or so.

Well yes my mods did help MPH BUT When I was stock I could easily pull 17-18 MPG average...on the highway.... the city killed my economey and it averaged 13-14 in the city... this was because of the 3.55 gears though.

With the basic mods I was able to get up to 19MPG with the driving habbits I mentioned in my my first post...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-09-2006, 12:16 AM
rob[GL]
All Star

ORIGINAL: AIR RAM

ORIGINAL: stump_breaker

Well yes my mods did help MPH BUT When I was stock I could easily pull 17-18 MPG average...on the highway.... the city killed my economey and it averaged 13-14 in the city... this was because of the 3.55 gears though.

With the basic mods I was able to get up to 19MPG with the driving habbits I mentioned in my my first post...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

I posted this image in another thread... But I'll post it again here just to back you up...
And for the record, 99% of the posts I have seen this "tuccamike" guy make have been very very negative and borderline troll'ish...

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/2609953FCAAD4DFAA70CE9344120E910.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Hemi Dave
Professional

my 05 hemi qc 4x4 3:92 was getting a combo average of 14.3 until I put on the mopar cai...now its about 13.8 combo.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:29 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

quote from air ram..."Well yes my mods did help MPH BUT When I was stock I could easily pull 17-18 MPG average...on the highway.... the city killed my economey and it averaged 13-14 in the city... this was because of the 3.55 gears though." So all this f-ing time you have been hounding me about getting 20 mpg almost stock when you had 17 stock? i possibly could have believed 17 stock...but ur a 4.7 highly moded...all this time you've been a jew...

Quick Reply: gas mileage?