3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Line-x Vs Rhino

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006 | 02:33 PM
HuskyJazz
|
Professional
Default Line-x Vs Rhino

Is there really a difference in these two bed liners? If so what are they. They both look good and apparently hold up, so what's the difference.

Old 02-07-2006 | 02:41 PM
wildneg
Rookie
Default RE: Line-x Vs Rhino

I have been checking both out for like 2 weeks. Finally went to a Rhino installer to check samples and such. I'm debating on even getting a spray in, or drop in, or a bed rug. From the looks, i'm tempted to get a bed rug cause I will have a soft top tonneau cover most of the time that removes easily to put objects taller then the bed.

People who get Line-X swear by it, people who get Rhino swear by it. Line-X goes on a bit thinner, but is much harder material. Your bed doesn't loose any detail (the dips and valleys of the bed). You will still see the shapes. Rhino is thicker, but more flimsy (from the samples). It will cut up a bit easier. Its a softer material. But is thicker and not as thin as the Line-X. But people who have Line-X say you can't really chip it or cut it. Its hard and solid.

The only other thing that I have read and seen first hand, Line-X doesn't fade anywhere as fast as Rhino. Rhino bed liners I see from people here at work fade by the first year. Noticeably fade. Line-X stay their color a lot longer. I know a guy that has had one for about 3 years so far and is still just about the same color. The Rhino on the other hand is like a dark gray shade after a year.

The Rhino sales guy was telling me that is a problem, but they have a cleaner/top finish you can put on every few months that is suppose to preserve the black color. It is more like a protective wax or something. Blocks out the UV rays. I really didn't wanna do that all the time :P But one thing to think about, is if your going to have a tonneau on most of the time, this wont be as big a factor as it seems.

I'm sure you'll get all kinds of feed back from people on their choices. Like I said, Line-X users swear by it, and Rhino swear by theres. But if I was to get one, which I probably wont (going with the bed rug), I think I would choose Line-X.

If you want, I can take a picture of the samples. Thickness and you can see the top texture. Line-X is a bit more 'rugged' looking. But is more plastic feeling. The Rhino is not as bumpy and rugged, but feels a bit more rubbery (Then the line-x, not really rubbery at all). Just more flexable (the sample).

Let me know! Can have them posted by this evening when I get home from work.

-- K

Old 02-07-2006 | 02:51 PM
Drew
Professional

I know first hand Line-x is tough as nails. . .I have it on my rocker panels and they constantly get nailed with rocks. after a year of abuse it still loock good

Old 02-07-2006 | 03:05 PM
schaady
Rookie

Have you ever looked at "ARMALINER"? That is what I have in my Ram and it is great. It goes on thicker then the Line-x and is more scratch/cut resistant then the Rhino linings that I have seen. Plus I have had it in my truck for 4 years and it has not faded.

Old 02-07-2006 | 04:20 PM
HuskyJazz
|
Professional

Well I just checked on the armaliner and the closed dealer is about 176 miles away, so that is not an option. I have heard that object slide easier or more on the line-x and rhino lining is more like rubber so objects don't slide around. Is this true?

Old 02-07-2006 | 04:32 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: HuskyJazz

Well I just checked on the armaliner and the closed dealer is about 176 miles away, so that is not an option. I have heard that object slide easier or more on the line-x and rhino lining is more like rubber so objects don't slide around. Is this true?

yes.

however, when I put something in the bed it is usualy heavy enough that it usualy wont move, or I ratchet strap the thing down

Old 02-07-2006 | 04:58 PM
wildneg
Rookie

Sliding was an issue for me too... but my g/f who decided to rub something in... said why not buy a horse floor mat. Under 10$, cut to fit, and put it on top of the cover when u need to put something your afraid will slip around :P Its cheap, not very heave, and you can roll it up and put it away in a corner until you need it again.

This was one of my problems... Line-X is a slicker looking material. More bumps for things to grab on? But wont really help... But ya, you can just get a simple mat to put down. U can get nice ones that people make exactly for trucks that fit the bed to a T, but more money. You can get a cheap horse floor liner or something along those lines, cut it to fit, and pay a hell of a lot less. You can always leave it in there or you can just put it in when u want to put light things that will slide in the back.

I had the same thoughts as you and now am going with a bed rug I do beleive. Pretty much same protection and things really don't slide at all. BUt if I was to get a spray in, would prob be Line-X and would probably end up getting some custom cut rubber mat to put on the bottom if needed.

If you want to feel the texture of the two, stop at the places that install it. They SHOULD have a small sample you can take with you to compre between the two. Thats how I did it.

-- K

Old 02-08-2006 | 04:38 AM
sspp
Professional

Armaliner is good stuff. The Dodge Dealer I bought from would only cover it under warranty if they had it installed. Line-x or rhino would be on my own.

Old 02-08-2006 | 11:49 AM
kniteraven

The warranty should not be an issue for choosing between Line-X, Rhino, or Armaliner. Line-X has a lifetime warranty and I'm 99% sure Rhino is also lifetime. sspp, you won't be on your own with Line-X or Rhino. Instead of going to Dodge, go to the respective dealer for Line-x or Rhino and they'll fix it. I've never heard any complaints about either brand concerning repairs.

Old 02-08-2006 | 12:28 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Everything has pretty much been said regarding the Line-X vs Rhino spray in's. The only other big thing I can think of is preperation. The person that preps the bed for the spray in is the biggest key factor in long term durability. So make sure you go to a shop that has been around a while and knows all the tricks of the trade, so to speak.

Quick Reply: Line-x Vs Rhino