3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stop The Odometer Must Read!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:18 AM
Black Beast
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stop The Odometer Must Read!!!!!

WOW! I'm diggin this forum- it has big hairy *****. I'm up half the night feeding my kid every hour on the hour so I need the stimuli, keep um comming,Thanks!

Old 02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
mcphipps

In reality, the reason for NOT asking questions like this one about the odometer is this:

Take a look at how many people have viewed this thread. At the time of this posting: 1030
Thats how many people stopped in to "look" at what this is about. I know that alot of the views are returns from the same people. But what caught your eye in the first place? I am being honest here, stopping the odometer. I wouldn't do it at all because that is just not my style. But just think of the people that are "watching" this thread just for that information. There are ALOT of views but only 2 pages of posts. That tells me something. The problem is two-fold. First there are people out there that WILL do this to the vehicle IF a procedure was posted. Second, some moron could easily post on here some silly-sas thing to do to make the odometer stop and in reality cause major damage to your vehicle, and some person without the knowledge would try it. Some people would say: "Well, thats what they get for trying it".....but alot people come here seeking knowledge and rely on what they see in the posts, and don't know any better.

Now, whether or not the orginal poster of this question was going to do this procedure (if it was posted) the fact remaqins that it would have been available for many people based on the amount of views for this thread. All I can really say, and this goes for ANY information you find on ANY forums is this: Do your research on any subject before you do anything. Most people on these forums are trying to help other people by passing on information, and some will be passing on thier own experience, this good. Thats what these forums are all about.....but the "end user" must beware that not all the information they get is fact and (or) good advice.

I don't post much anywhere I go really. I just thought that I had to say something on this subject. I am getting down from my soapbox now. Thanks for listening...(like you had chaoice anyway)...LOL

Mike

Old 02-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Wemdog

First of all, Im 22 years old, I agree that the guy is trying to cheat some one in the end because he did say he tried it. I have owned used cars in high school and college, Im still in college. I used to drive a 2000 ram 1500 5.9 magnum in it. Now I did buy a new 2005 hemi, yes the 5.7L HEMI, oh by the way mine is also a 4x4 and I Have all of my teeth. My truck blew up after 5450 miles on it. So new isnt always better. My parents havent paid for a single car, except the 68 buick riviera I had and that was given to the family for free. It is possible to trick the computers on vehicles, but why would you really want to???

Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 PM
hemi1827

There is actually a way to stop the odometer. My father works for Daimler Chrysler and last time he was in Auburn Hills, MI he was speaking with an engineer who explained to him the process which involves many different combinations of turning the key to certain positions and engaging other switches in the vehicle. Of course he would not tell me, nor do I care to cheat the system. Like some one said before Car Fax was created for guys like that. There are also about 5 different locations on a vehicle where the odometer is stored(different cpu's). But like the odometer stop there are also many different functions on a vehicle that are designed purely for diagnostic use only.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:20 PM
eltupac
All Star

HEY GUYS I DID IT, I DID IT!!!!!

I finally put my shelves up.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Hemimadman06
Rookie

Alright whats the point of sitting here bi*ching about a post that is about 2 weeks old or so. BIG RIG, I just like you threw the tootless part in there to spice it up just for ****s and giggles. But anyway hemi said he has been told there is a way of doing it that is all i wanted to know. the reason i asked the question in the first place is because i have a buddy that was working on someone elses 06 dodge and he said he was doing it all day long. i admit i tried it to see if it would work(but im sure everyone of you would have done the same thing in trying it to see if it worked or not) but i could not get it to do it so that is why i asked you all."madman"

Old 02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
oppie311
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I think we have pretty much beat this subject to death. Let's end it now and start discussing relevent topics and serious issues.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 AM
omars121

wow for all the ****in people who think this **** is stupid go ****in jump off a bridge dont ever tell us u never did **** illegal .... wow man ... ****in people gotta chill out .....

anyways man yea that **** does work all the way up to 2005 but on the 2006 there is mulitple sensors that read the mile, if you unplug the dash, the car wont start, if you turn the key, it will sut everything off but still read the miles... if you unplug the sensors ... it still reads the miles.... i dont know what the **** they did to this truck but ive been trying to find out it for 6 months now... if you figure it out.... EMAIL ME PLEASE

Old 01-23-2007, 03:57 AM
motorider228
Champion

wow omars way to bring up a topic that's over a year old within your first or second post flaming other members . It is very shady to set the odometer back and if I was around when this was a new topic I would have jumped on the guy too. The only reason to set an odometer back is to cheat someone.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:58 AM
viper359
Professional

Hi Guys;

I have been reading this forum for some time now never posting. I am about to buy a Ram in March. I wish to make the following comment. I think everyone's response to this persons question is completly out of the normal for this group. The insults your fligging are just not right.

Maybe I am the only one that thinks the following, but I would like to the answer to his question. Reason you ask, because I want to know all the various ways someone might screw me when I buy my used Ram. Based off answers already given (though somewhat vague) I am already going to demand a printout of the computer reports or logs from the dealer.

Just for the record, I do not endorse anyone tampering with anything that would cheat, lie, or extend their warrenties by any means fraud. However, I do believe the best way to combat fraud is to understand the possible tactics used. I cannot say if the orignal posters question was to be used by malice, or like me, it was a question he was just curious about. I do think many of you have over reacted to that first poster. Where did the Welcome To The Board, Glad you own a Dodge, warm invite go??

Hope to have my Dodge at the end of March!!

EDIT: I did not see that this post was a year old, sorry.

Quick Reply: Stop The Odometer Must Read!!!!!