3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Delay when shifting from park anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
vinman966
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delay when shifting from park anyone?

I've had my truck for a little over a month now and don't know if I should take it to the dealer or not.
When shifting from park when I first start it up if it's cold out, there is a short delay before it engages. Doesn't matter if it's into drive or reverse and it doesn't happen all the time (I know it wouldn't happen at the dealer). At least one time, I had to put it back in park ant then to reverse before it would move. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Old 02-21-2006, 08:31 PM
papap
Rookie
Default RE: Delay when shifting from park anyone?

I think this is normal if its cold. If you let it warm up just alittle before putting in drive it will be ok.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been discussed here before. The delay is caused by the design of the automatic tranny. The best thing to do is start it up first, buckle in, set the radio, and whatever else is needed to get ready to go. By then the fluid has refilled the hydraulics of the system and no delay.

Hope this helps

Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 PM
cjwr
Professional

i recently noticed this with my dakota; i have the 5 speed auto. could this be for the same reason? it has only happened once or twice, so i haven't really thought much about it yet.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:39 PM
vinman966
Professional

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

This has been discussed here before. The delay is caused by the design of the automatic tranny. The best thing to do is start it up first, buckle in, set the radio, and whatever else is needed to get ready to go. By then the fluid has refilled the hydraulics of the system and no delay.

Hope this helps
I figured it was something like that...I appreciate the feedback.
Although this really ruins my reputation for always running late. Now I have to start out even earlier? How will I ever make that minute up? Maybe I'll have to scrape the windows too now LOL

Old 02-22-2006, 01:36 AM
rob[GL]
All Star

Totally normal... Especially if the engine is working a little harder to warm up... The truck will not shift into gear if the rpm's are too high...

Old 02-22-2006, 02:41 AM
vinman966
Professional

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

Totally normal... Especially if the engine is working a little harder to warm up... The truck will not shift into gear if the rpm's are too high...
Makes perfect sense because it happened to me again tonight. Engine was cold and the RPM's were at about 1k,
belted and adjusted the radio as advised in an earlier post (thanks gone fishin), shifted into reverse and about 5 seconds later the RPM's dropped and it started moving.
Maybe next time I'll have to mix in some mirror adjustment
As long as I know nuthin' is wrong...I just traded in a F@*d truck that had ongoing tranny problems and I was a tad worried LOL

Old 02-22-2006, 11:18 AM
stump_breaker
Captain

Yeah, it's common. Bothered me the first time it did it in my brand spankin' new truck until I realized - "Duh! It's 30 degrees outside and the truck is saying, hold on, I'm cold!" Kind of idiot proofs the mechanics for us jump-in-and-goers. I wish my 05 Jeep would do that. I catch myself not giving it warm up time and it sputters on me for the first 30 seconds or so.

Quick Reply: Delay when shifting from park anyone?