3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are Rear End Problems an Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are Rear End Problems an Issue

Chad, I'm keeping my eye open for when a Cummins grenades an AAM 11.5. I'm amazed at what they can handle, over 600hp and 1000 lb-ft torque to the rear wheels. oh, and the torque usualy peaks around 1500rpm

Old 02-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Boater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the replacement is a different model axle than the original axle, so you should not have any more problems. Im paranoid about this too I have read alot of posts about this. I definately intend to complain about rearend noise before my warranty is up, so they will have to inspect it. I honestly thought I heard some the other day. Im only at 4100 miles!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 PM
RICKJAMES

I'm going through the same thing right now. Pinion Bearing went out after hearing a humming noise. I have 90,000 miles on it with the extended warranty at 100,000 mine is luckily covered still. Then they called me this afternoon when I was supposed to pick it up and they said that when they were in the rear end the Spider Gears were chopped up too....they needed to be replaced. I asked if this was a common occurance and he said I'm the first case he has ever heard of this happening. Hmmm...obviously not! My $.02

Old 12-13-2006, 10:03 PM
gordo24fan
Professional

For less than $620 you can get the Auburn installed (part and labor). I did it to avoid peg leg, but was really convinced when I heard of the problems dodge rearends have.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:07 PM
jb291

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and this thread caught my eye. I have a 2004 1500 Hemi Sport. at about 4000 miles it developed a loud hum that comes from the rear of the truck and lasts for a couple of seconds after I first start to accelerate from a stop. It sounds like a brake is hanging up. The sound is not constant and happens offen but not consistently. It has been to the dealer 5 times but the dealer states that they checked the truck and there is nothing wrong with it. The truck has about 25000 miles on it now and the sound almost always happens after I brake and accelerate from a dead stop. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-14-2006, 03:15 AM
gordo24fan
Professional

If you know what makes it happen, insist on them riding with you. If they hear it in front of you they can't give you some song and dance BS about how nothing is wrong. I did that with my GTO and got the dealer to fix it. They claimed they didn't hear a thing and I knew what conditions made noise happen. They ended up replacing my whole rearend. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:30 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I noticed the other day, I drove around a corner, a sharp corner... Gave it some gas, and only 1 wheel broke loose... I have the 3.92 LSD in my 2005 HEMI... Just for ****s and giggles, I pulled over into a side-street with lots of snow, and both tires spun on the ice... So I don't know whether to be worried or not.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Critter7r

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

I noticed the other day, I drove around a corner, a sharp corner... Gave it some gas, and only 1 wheel broke loose... I have the 3.92 LSD in my 2005 HEMI... Just for ****s and giggles, I pulled over into a side-street with lots of snow, and both tires spun on the ice... So I don't know whether to be worried or not.
If a non-LSD diff has an equal amount of low resistance (such as on ice) both wheels may spin. A non-LSD diff sends power to the easiest wheel to turn, but if both tires are on ice, they might both turn very easily. Try it on dry pavement to get a more difinitive answer.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Critter7r

P.S. Nobody has bothered to mention whether they have had their axle fluids flushed every 15,000 miles like it's recommended in the maintenance schedule. Honestly now.... how many of you have had your diff blow up or fall apart after having kept to the maintenance schedule?? Because I'll tell you what, here at the dealer, for every 25 Rams that come in with 15k or more on it, maybe 1 gets the axle fluids changed. Not that nobody does those things themselves or has them done domeplace else, but I know a lot of people skip out on it because they think 15k is too often. I bet it wouldn't seem like it was too often if it would keep your 45K truck axle from blowing up!!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 PM
helopilot
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Critter7r

P.S. Nobody has bothered to mention whether they have had their axle fluids flushed every 15,000 miles like it's recommended in the maintenance schedule. Honestly now.... how many of you have had your diff blow up or fall apart after having kept to the maintenance schedule?? Because I'll tell you what, here at the dealer, for every 25 Rams that come in with 15k or more on it, maybe 1 gets the axle fluids changed. Not that nobody does those things themselves or has them done domeplace else, but I know a lot of people skip out on it because they think 15k is too often. I bet it wouldn't seem like it was too often if it would keep your 45K truck axle from blowing up!!

So by changing fluids I will prevent a clip that was designed incorrectly from falling out???? That's kinda funny...somehow I am pretty sure that if a clip is going to fall out it can happen at 1 mile or at 100,000 miles and no amount of fluid changes are going to prevent that.

Quick Reply: Are Rear End Problems an Issue