3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tornado

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:38 PM
whyte69
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tornado

there are hazards to using these things. A friend of mine (not a guy that I heard about from a friend of mine) who used one of these things and it failed to perform, so he left it in there if things would change over time. He forgot to check on it now and then until one day one of the little fins snapped off and was sucked into the engine and proceeded to wreak havoc on his internals. It didn't blow anything, but he did have to open his engine up to fish all the little pieces out and do a complete system flush. The downtime alone would be enough to scare me away from ever using one of these things.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
New2Durango
Professional

Someone just posted me this article for something I had posted earlier. Here it is from "popular mechanics":

VORTEX GENERATORS
These devices, which are usually installed on the upstream side of the mass airflow (MAF) sensor, use stationary vanes or, on some devices, spinning blades to make the inlet air between the air cleaner and intake manifold whirl around in a mini-tornado. This vortex supposedly mixes fuel more thoroughly with air, which means the fuel will, theoretically, burn more completely in the combustion chamber. Trouble is, there's a lot of intake tract downstream from these devices designed to maximize a smooth airflow. Turbulence, coupled with the restricted airflow caused by the device, can only reduce the amount of air sucked into the manifold. Less air means less power.
Again, we tested two devices. The TornadoFuelSaver is a nicely made stainless steel contraption, available in an assortment of sizes to fit most vehicles. We installed it on our truck's intake tract immediately upstream of the MAF sensor. We purchased the second device, the Intake Twister, on eBay. It was crudely handmade from sheet-aluminum flashing and pop rivets. It looked like something we could make in about 10 minutes from an old soda can. The staff at UTI was reluctant to install it: The bent sheetmetal vanes looked as if they might break off and be digested by the engine. The device is one-size-fits-all, and is simply bent into a curl to insert it into the intake duct.

THE DYNO SAYS: Both devices reduced peak horsepower by more than 10 percent. The Intake Twister increased fuel consumption by about 20 percent; the TornadoFuelSaver provided no significant change.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

NOT THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! Serious waste of time and money.

Quick Reply: Tornado