3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I might chicken out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:18 PM
dieselram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I might chicken out!

I wanted to do the exact same thing, but I was also worried about Johny Law. Check out the LED tail lights on Ebay. I just installed a set on my truck and they include reflectors built in and you don't have to wire resistors in to stop the "bulb out" light and a DOT stamp of approval molded into the lens. I paid $180 shipped, but they should continue to come down in price (used to be $300 a few months ago).

Old 03-02-2006, 07:07 PM
prerunner
Captain

In CA green is ok. Noone really wants to use green tho! Red and Blue are the only ones you can't use. Red on brake/turn/hazard lights only!!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 07:15 PM
dieselram
Captain

So can I tell the cop that a truck doing 80 in 35 zone is a hazard and I therefore need the red lights?????

Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 PM
prerunner
Captain

ROFL!!!!
And the officers responce would be: "Sure son....just jump into the back of my cruiser here...and you can enjoy mine!!!"
Being that doing 80 in a 35 zone would probably get yr license suspended:|:|:|:|:| But you could try it

No. Hazards=stock hazards. As in the turn signal and hazard combo. Only the rear hazards can be red! which is how i got around putting the strobes just above my brake lights

Old 03-03-2006, 01:57 AM
dieselram
Captain

Luckily cops don't think a 3500 can speed, have you thanked your truck today?

Old 03-03-2006, 04:55 AM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

The only thing I don't like about our trucks... I *HATE* that the brake lights, AND the turn signals are red...

Every other manufacturer uses yellow turn signals, and I think that makes much more sense...

It has been scientifically proven, that the human eye does not react as fast to the color red, as it does to other colors... I know many times, I have found myself questioning whether a person is turning, or they simply suck at using their brakes...

Personally, I plan to replace my turn signal bulb with a different color. If every other car on the street has yellow turn signals, I don't see how it could possibly be illegal for me to change my color.
Here in the UK it's mandatory we have the yellow turn signals.
I'm trying to come up with a way to make the lights on my 03 conform.
The way we do it here, is to junk the clear reverse lights and instal some yellow bulbs. Tie into the turn circuit and then install a new reversing light.
We also have to have a rear red fog light with a warning light on the dash, to let you know it's in the switched on position.
It's a lot of work ............but hey...................my Dodge is worth it

Old 03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
prerunner
Captain

The only thing I don't like about our trucks... I *HATE* that the brake lights, AND the turn signals are red...

Every other manufacturer uses yellow turn signals, and I think that makes much more sense...

It has been scientifically proven, that the human eye does not react as fast to the color red, as it does to other colors... I know many times, I have found myself questioning whether a person is turning, or they simply suck at using their brakes...

Personally, I plan to replace my turn signal bulb with a different color. If every other car on the street has yellow turn signals, I don't see how it could possibly be illegal for me to change my color.
I never said it was illegal to change your turn signal color. I said the only lights on your vehicle that CAN be red is the brake/turn/hazard lights!!!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 06:12 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

ORIGINAL: prerunner

I never said it was illegal to change your turn signal color.

ORIGINAL: prerunner

I believe that your brake and turn signals need to be red.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????

Old 03-03-2006, 06:15 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Anyways, for the guy in the UK...

Could you not just stick a Green bulb into the blinker spot? A green bulb emitting light through the red plastic tail light cover... Should make a Yellow appearance, should it not?

Old 03-03-2006, 07:45 PM
abarmby
Champion

Anyways, for the guy in the UK...

Could you not just stick a Green bulb into the blinker spot? A green bulb emitting light through the red plastic tail light cover... Should make a Yellow appearance, should it not?

He he he...................basic physics.
I never gave that a thought. I last studied that back in the day ha ha ha.

Just looked on the web and found this.........http://www.bway.net/~jscruggs/add.html

It's worth buying a Green bulb or painting a clear one eh?
I'll try it and post a reply.
Thanks so much for what could be a very easy, fast and effective fix.
Cheers.
Al.