3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I might chicken out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 08:04 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I might chicken out!

Just had a quick look at the tailight clusters on my 03.
When you switch the sidelights/tailights on, they shine red on the same bulb as the turns. The bulb has two filaments and responds as a tailight and turn indicator.
So.................. if I put a green bulb in place of the clear, when I put my lights on, they will permanently shine yellow?
It will fix my turn signal problem, but everyone will think my turns are on permanently when I switch on the tails due to the green coloured bulb now doing it's job ................?

The bottom set of bulbs of the clusters are also on as part of the tailights and double up with their double action /filament bulbs as brake lights when the brakes are applied.

I wonder if I can disable the tailight in the tailight/turn light bulb, just leaving the bottom bulb as my tailight, therefore removing my problem?
Will I throw a "bulb out" code if I cut the tailight feed?
Hope you can follow all of this ???????
Cheers for any help you can give.
Al.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:35 AM
prerunner
Captain

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

ORIGINAL: prerunner

I never said it was illegal to change your turn signal color.

ORIGINAL: prerunner

I believe that your brake and turn signals need to be red.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????
I stand corrected[sm=guilty.gif]..i did not mean to add the turn signal part in there. Thats what happens when yr at work posting here and not working

Old 03-04-2006, 01:55 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

hehe
no worries dude
i was just teasing you anyways

Old 03-04-2006, 02:04 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

ORIGINAL: abarmby

When you switch the sidelights/tailights on, they shine red on the same bulb as the turns. The bulb has two filaments and responds as a tailight and turn indicator.
So.................. if I put a green bulb in place of the clear, when I put my lights on, they will permanently shine yellow?
It will fix my turn signal problem, but everyone will think my turns are on permanently when I switch on the tails due to the green coloured bulb now doing it's job ................?

The bottom set of bulbs of the clusters are also on as part of the tailights and double up with their double action /filament bulbs as brake lights when the brakes are applied.

I wonder if I can disable the tailight in the tailight/turn light bulb, just leaving the bottom bulb as my tailight, therefore removing my problem?
Al.

See, now I did not know that. I guess I never payed much attention to my own lights at night time. :P

I think that the turn signal - when activated - actually probably just interupts the electrical flow to the top bulb for a split second, and then back on, and then back off... To get the blinking effect. I would hazzard a guess that if you tried to insulate either lead on the bulb, that it would deactivate the bulb all together. But I guess it would hurt to take 10 minutes out of your day to find out for sure.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:25 PM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

ORIGINAL: abarmby

Al.

See, now I did not know that. I guess I never payed much attention to my own lights at night time. :P

I think that the turn signal - when activated - actually probably just interupts the electrical flow to the top bulb for a split second, and then back on, and then back off... To get the blinking effect. I would hazzard a guess that if you tried to insulate either lead on the bulb, that it would deactivate the bulb all together. But I guess it would hurt to take 10 minutes out of your day to find out for sure.
It was a good idea you had. It still might work if I can disable the tailight function without throwing a code.........
I will investigate and do a follow up post.
Thanks for the idea.
Cheers.[sm=deal.gif]

Old 03-07-2006, 05:25 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Tried the green bulb theory yet?

Old 03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
abarmby
Champion

Not yet.

Been soooooo busy building and alterations etc in my house.
I will try it though as it seems the way to go.
Al.