3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I might chicken out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:53 PM
GA Hemi
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I might chicken out!

Last week, I started a thread about tail lights. I would like to put on a clear set of tail lights on my '05 Hemi QC and install LED bulbs in the tail lights. I just went by the auto part store to see what kind of LED bulbs they had. They had the correct bulbs but all over the package was written "For off-road use only... not for use on public streets". Now I am scared to make the tail light mod!!! I don't want any hassles with the cops... or worse, my wife have a run in with them.

Anyone else facing this problem? Or have already crossed that bridge? Are LED bulbs really illegal?

Old 03-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I might chicken out!

they should be ok. if you look at tractors they use them alot now since they last WAY longer than the regular bulbs.

as long as they are not blue and you replace the reds and ambers correctly there shouldnt be a problem.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:12 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drew is absolutely correct. The main issue with most of the LED/Neon lights is the coloring and the usage of them. Mainly, replace your stock ones with the same color lights and you shouldnt have an issue.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:42 PM
prerunner
Captain

Most of the newer expensive vehicles are comiing with the led bulbs.

Both above posts are correct when it comes to the color issue. Your brake/turn signal/emergency lights CAN be red. Everything has to be a different color....ie: clear, green, amber. this is how i got away with putting strobes in the back....they take the place of my hazards I did not install the strobes for the front.....would be to tempting to use on the freeway:|:|:|:|:|\

Basically what they look for in color..is if you have any kind of added emergency/beacon lights on your vehicle. In the state of CA....they won't even sell you anything in blue or red. For your tail lights....you have nothing to worry about!!!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
GA Hemi
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read some where on the internet that to be legal, you must have a "RED" reflector on the rear of your vehicle. Any truth to this?

Old 03-01-2006, 11:57 PM
GotHemi?
Professional

If your concern is about reflerctors I have a solution. Before I got my line of fire led light bar between the tailgate and the bumper I had reflectrive stickers stuck under there. May I suggest the $10 for two sticker pack at Pep-Boys. Don't get the stuff that is rolled up like tape, they aren't as bright. These are commonly used for the sides of semi trailers and truck trailers and they are super bright when headlights hit them. The space I had them made them invisible unless light hit them and gave great visibility for parking your truck on the street at night. Just a suggestion, the only reason I got rid of mine was because I had to stick the line of fire where I had them mounted. Make sure you line em up good cuz they are super sticky but I removed mine no problem when the time came with Goo-Gone adhesive remover.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran

Make sure and check what your state's laws are.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
prerunner
Captain

I believe that your brake and turn signals need to be red. However, everything else can be any color other than red or blue. This is for CA. Not sure about any other states.
You can put as many lights as you want around your vehicle....as long as you stay away from red or blue. In the state of CA...you can't even buy red or blue lights without proof of being either in law enforcment or fire fighting.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:21 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

The only thing I don't like about our trucks... I *HATE* that the brake lights, AND the turn signals are red...

Every other manufacturer uses yellow turn signals, and I think that makes much more sense...

It has been scientifically proven, that the human eye does not react as fast to the color red, as it does to other colors... I know many times, I have found myself questioning whether a person is turning, or they simply suck at using their brakes...

Personally, I plan to replace my turn signal bulb with a different color. If every other car on the street has yellow turn signals, I don't see how it could possibly be illegal for me to change my color.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:47 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

It's when you start using the blues and greens that you get in trouble. I think around here, even the washer nozzle lights are illegal.