3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:47 AM
Rneld
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...

Love the truck ... Love the grill.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:39 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I think this whole thread comes down to whether we like the SMALL aesthetic changes to the Ram or not. Yes, the frame is stiffer and it has a coil over front suspension. These are nice (and can be argued on another thread), but the thread seems to be centered around performance and the look of the truck. I don't think the new headlights are bad, they just take some getting used to. One thing they do is change the lines of the truck. In the 02-05 Rams the headlights are not the centerpiece of the front end, they tuck away nicely and play a back seat to the curves of the fender and hood. Personally, I like this style. With the 06's, the headlights and grille play a more prominent role. They stand out more, and take some of the attention away from the lines on the front end (the first picture in the previous reply show this perfectly). Good, bad or ugly, it is all opinion.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: HemiMan4451

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

I just gotta say this, for like the 40th time, between a lot of threads.

Trucks are built for towing, payload, mudding or what have you. They are NOT built for racing. These 0-60 and quarter mile times you guys are posting really have nothing to do with how well the truck performs, where a truck is SUPPOSED to perform...
Yea, SRT-10 owners love to go off-roading in their trucks, and compare payload and towing with other truck owners. People need to stop being so close-minded, trucks nowadays are not just built for payload and towing.
I didn't say anything about the SRT-10, Lighting or SS did I? Nope...

0-60 and 1/4 mile are not what Dodge, Chevy and Ford are looking at when they are building these trucks. They are looking at how much towing capacity that can get out of it, how much weight you can get into the bed, how much torque you can come up with, suspension etc. Maybe Nissan and it's Titan look for speed. But that's the reason why it suffers in the real truck tests.

I have no problem with a truck racing. But when you look at how good a truck is, you should look at what a truck was designed for, not how fast will go.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:25 AM
DodgeThisRam06

i currently own an 05 1500 which is in the process of being replaced by the lemon law over a rattle for an 06. ive had the 05 since july but after test driving the 06 that i will be getting i really have to say that it is an improvement. putting the trucks side by side shows how outdated the 05 looks and the 06 does look meaner in my opinion. the dash layout has more of a truck appearance and it being so quiet makes for a much more comforatble ride. it was also alot smooter ride in my opinion....but once again this is just an opinion and im not trying to start anything....i think they are both great trucks considering they are basically the same thing. its just that this is the upgrade...some will like it some wont....to each their own.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:50 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I just think its funny how people say, "An 05 is outdated." Why, because the headlights and grille are different? No, what is outdated is a 1994-2001 Ram. Everything changed in 02, the hood, fenders, side panels, headlights, interior, cab configuration, etc. I hate to see what the guys with 06's say when the 07's or 08's come out and, if by some Act of God, Dodge changes style of mirrors. Will they then consider their 06 outdated? lol.

I'm just giving you guys crap, I just think you are misusing the word "outdated." I would say the 06's are more "refined" than the 02-05's - sound dampening material, suspension, etc. Hell, according to your logic, my 04 was outdated compared to the 05's because the 05's had the Ram logo on the tailgate! I'll consider an 03-05 Ram outdated when Dodge gives the Hemi more power, until then, we are just arguing plastic and how quiet the truck is.

If I was in the market for a new truck, sure I'd buy an 06 Ram (I'd get a CTD though, not the Hemi). But I wouldn't sit back and say, "Ewwww, look at the 03-05's they are so early millenium." The reason Dodge made the truck quieter and more refined is, more yuppies are buying trucks as family vehicles. They are used to 4 banger Hondas that felt like they were riding on clouds and could barely hear the engine as they lugged up a hill. It's smart in regards to selling more trucks. But for the other 70% of us that want trucks, and want them loud, and tough, and durable, we could care less if the purr of the engine can be heard as we floor it.

When I was test driving trucks 16 months ago, I knew the Dodge (with the torsion bar setup) rode and felt more like a truck than the F150 or Silverado. But that is why I bought it, if I wanted a "car like ride" I would have gotten a car. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the F150 and Silverado felt too "prissy" for me.

As for what I like in the 06, its the suspension. It is easier to lift and level (a simple leveling kit instead of cranking the torsion bars). As for the frame being stiffer, I am still trying to figure out how that translates to performance. The 06's tow the same amount as an 03-05, and I believe the payload is the same. Maybe less flex in an accident ? I'm not a big fan of the change in the dash - more plastic makes it look cheap. The cupholder setup is definitely better than the 03-05's.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:05 AM
rob[GL]
All Star

Let this thread die. The guys with the 2006 are just talking **** to justify their lousy purchase.
Never once did I bash anyone else, I wrote up my opinion on two trucks. If you don't agree, then you obviously own a 2006.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are happy with your truck, that's all that matters... Because you're the one who has to drive it.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:54 AM
DatNeggaDodge
Rookie

I love my 06' 1500 QC Hemi 4x4! Dodges just get better every year! I love it! Next year when they come out with a better truck, I'm going to get it! YEAH!!!!

Old 03-20-2006, 11:37 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

And be upside down too!

Old 06-09-2006, 01:56 AM
lerouxma

Are you sure you were driving a 5.7L HEMI. That is what I have and it beats my friends ford (5.4L) and my father-in-law's GM. If you want to look at an ugly interior, look at the Ford.....Boring, it looks like they got their ideas from japanese car makers.

I tried all the trucks for 2006 and my 2006 Dodge ram TRX4 kicks ***.

Marc

Old 06-09-2006, 03:41 AM
Bruce
Professional

I had one hired out while my truck was in the shop,i was going to change my truck for a 2006 one until i got this on hire,it also was a slt.Man was i disapointed,i'm gonna wait
till the next model comes out and if it looks anything like the dakota i'm gonna get a titan.I noticed the 2006 was a lot quiter inside though.My buddy has a ford and loves my truck
and he drove the 2006 also,he said if he had never driven a dodge before this truck would not interest him at all.

Quick Reply: Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...