3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do i really need 4x4..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 05:28 PM
RBHEMI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i really need 4x4..

Allright this is my first post on here, and i'd like to say hello.

I recently sold my car, and im looking into buying a hemi ram. Gas mileage i dont care about. But my question is, is 4x4 that much slower than the 4x2. I was looking into both the SLT short bed ram, and the rumble bee. I live in NY, and i noticed some people were driving their 4x2's all year round. I dont plan on going mudding with it or anything. Want to get into the truck scene as i never have had one.

Also, is the ride height of the SLT Ram the same as the Rumble Bee.. ? Both 4x4, and 4x2?

Thanks,

I will be posting quite a bit, so its nice to meet you all.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:27 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Do i really need 4x4..

ORIGINAL: RBHEMI

Allright this is my first post on here, and i'd like to say hello.

I recently sold my car, and im looking into buying a hemi ram. Gas mileage i dont care about. But my question is, is 4x4 that much slower than the 4x2. I was looking into both the SLT short bed ram, and the rumble bee. I live in NY, and i noticed some people were driving their 4x2's all year round. I dont plan on going mudding with it or anything. Want to get into the truck scene as i never have had one.

Also, is the ride height of the SLT Ram the same as the Rumble Bee.. ? Both 4x4, and 4x2?

Thanks,

I will be posting quite a bit, so its nice to meet you all.
Ride height from of a Bee and regular Ram are no different. As long as you have the 20" rims on the regular Ram. It may look as if the Bee is a little lower due to ground effects, but it is the same overall height.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES....You need 4x4.
Living in NY....Thats like saying does anyone really need to have sex?
Even if you dont drive it in the winter, its a great safety feature in a hard rain storm.
Welcome to our cult...I mean club..This weeks flavor of coolaid will be cherry.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:50 PM
RBHEMI

Thanks for the welcome lol.

Is the ride height from a 4x4 the same as a 4x2?

Old 03-14-2006, 07:52 PM
bscottie

I traded in my 03' F-150 Supercab Lariat for this truck, 4 full doors and 4X4, I will never go back, mileage averages about 15.8 since the exhaust change with about 80% hwy (at 75-80mph) and 20%grandma time, I don't use the 4X4 very often, but its kind of like what they say about guns, better to be caught with it than without. power is equal to none without modifications, I love mine

my .02 worth

Old 03-14-2006, 08:10 PM
OJ

Same with me up north, 4x4 is really nice. When I had a 4x2 I had to watch where I parked and what types of raods or driveways I turned into, not with 4x4.

We went Christmas tree hunting one year with my 4x2 and I turned into what I thought was a driveway, well it was a new house under construction and the drive was mud.
Boy was my wife pissed when I got stuck in the middle of nowhere at night. Not now though.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:30 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

If this will be your only vehicle then get the 4x4. As far as ride height, generally, 4x4's ride a little higher in the front. However, my 03 is 4x and it rides pretty low up front. I think it's different for the new rams. I notice that the newer ones ride a little higher than mine, even the non 4x's.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:34 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

Living in the northeast I have plenty of experience with snow/ice. It definitely comes down to driver skill though. I use four wheel drive only if I have to in the snow. Everyone slows down and freaks out but it is all about being smooth on the throttle. When we get snow the car drivers at work comment that I must have had no problem getting to work. I tell them that they are correct, but I didn't even use four wheel drive. I have had two mustangs and a bunch of trucks, the worst possible vehicles for snow. I just learned how to drive them.

Will four wheel drive help with re sale value? Just a thought.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:47 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

I couldn't agree with you more. Just learn how do drive the damn thing. That goes for any car.
Best thing to do is to find yourself an empty wet parkinglot and go crazy. Do the same for when it snows. Get used to how it feels when you start to slide. That is what gets people into accidents (other than an ego). They just can't tell when they are sliding or loosing traction and by the time they realize it it is too late for the unexperienced to correct. Then they panic, crash, and burn......sorry, just being a smartass. Not trying to discourage you.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

I wouldn't really see a problem with a 4x2 year-round. I have a few friends with 4x2 trucks, and they never get stuck in the snow or anything. BTW, we are located in Maryland, we get plenty of wintery weather.

Quick Reply: Do i really need 4x4..