3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Bag Failures

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 02:07 AM
SonofSparks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Failures

Has anyone experienced any air bag failures??

Old 03-15-2006, 10:36 AM
steeringcolumn
Rookie
Default RE: Air Bag Failures

ORIGINAL: SonofSparks

Has anyone experienced any air bag failures??
What kind of "AirBag"failure are you reffering too???

Light Staying on/Blinking on dash????

Wrecked the truck they did NOT deploy???

Deployed for No reason????

Old 03-18-2006, 02:40 PM
SonofSparks

Wreck the truck with no air bags deploying?

Old 03-18-2006, 03:24 PM
kgdb

Just because you wrecked doeant mean the air bags should have deployed. There are many variables that have to be met before they will deploy. Whats the details of your wreck? Any pictures?

kgdb

Old 03-26-2006, 02:28 PM
SonofSparks

Hit from behind at a high rate of speed, then hitting several cars in front. Truck was totaled from insurance company. Only had 1200 miles on it at time of accident.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:58 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Hope you are okay. The airbags are designed to employ when there is a head on or frontal collision at a predetermined force.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:59 AM
GotHemi?
Professional

My airbags did a very good job of not deploying when I didn't need them. I was suprised they didn't pop and I am glad they didn't. You can't drive a truck with popped airbags back from canada the next day. It was a major relief and i was saved by the belt, had I not had the belt on I would have needed the bags to save my face from hitting the glass. I wonder if the computer factors in whether or not the seat belt is on before deployment? Anyone know? I wonder if my bags would have gone off if I wasn't strapped in?

Old 04-01-2006, 10:35 PM
derwood
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reference to the 2006 owners manual:

The front airbags are designed with a multistage inflator system whereby they may deploy at different rates of inflation based on occupant size and severity of collision. Even though the driver front airbag does deploy, the passenger airbag may not. The "Occupant Restraint Controller" (ORC) determines if a frontal collision is severe enough to require the airbags to inflate. During a moderate-to-severe rear impact the ORC may deploy the seatbelt pretensioners only.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 PM
SonofSparks

The Dodge Ram was my parents, unfortunately my dad was killed in the accident, and my mom was severly injured.

I have been trying to gather information on airbag failures to decide whether or not to pursue legal action. There are quite a few complaints listed on the NHTSA complaint site.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm

**I appreciate all of the information everyone has contributed.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:40 PM
srenken
Professional

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I would not waste your time and money on attempting to sue a car manufacture, unless you can show a viable design flaw caused the injuries. Car companies design their vehicles to meet strict federal motor vehicle safety standards, and have good lawyers to support their designs.

http://www.carseat.org/Legal/0_legalIP.htm
The standard you are looking for is FMVSS208.

The complaints you will find are from people who most likely were unable to get the desired out come from their cases. Bottom line, your parents were rear ended by a driver that is responsible for his actions (or his insurance company is).

Car manufactures can design their vehicles to withstand a rear end collision from a vehicle traveling at 100 MPH, but how often would this occur? How much more would you be willing to pay for this type of protection? Volvo is reported as having one of the safest vehicles on the road with respect to occupant safety after a collision. The price of this safety is reflected in the sticker price for these vehicles.

If you parents were wearing seat belts, which is the primary passive restraint for all vehicles, and suffered massive trauma, what was the source of this trauma? The sheet metal crumpling into the passenger compartment? Airbags will provide some protection for this, but that sheet metal has to go somewhere.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Failures