3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PowerWire

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
bgden21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerWire

I ordered my Powerwire last night, never thought something so small could get me excited.. Hopefully I can get the Air ram intake next..

Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 AM
steeringcolumn
Rookie
Default RE: PowerWire

ORIGINAL: bgden21

I ordered my Powerwire last night, never thought something so small could get me excited.. Hopefully I can get the Air ram intake next..
WTH is a "PowerWire?"

Old 03-17-2006, 12:13 AM
bgden21

LOL I think that is what it is called.. Airram sells them and they make something think that the air temp is 20 degrees cooler and it is supposed to give a little HP... Its was only like 30 bucks so i'm gonna try it

Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM
mcgill4

I PM'd AIRRAM and he said make sure you use atleast 91+ octane when using the powerwire if going WOT and using the superchips tuner. Didn't know if you had the tuner, but just an FYI. Without the tuner I am not sure. I ordered the powerwire and the jet stream scoop. Will definitely put the scoop on, but will probably wait for the powerwire as gas seems to be going thru the roof again.

Later

Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM
jeffjs
Professional

Sounds like another version of the resistor trick. Read a lot of posts where people agree not to use such a thing.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffjs

Sounds like another version of the resistor trick. Read a lot of posts where people agree not to use such a thing.
The "Resistor Trick" that you speak of is the one that removes your actual air temp sensor and Jumps your grey plug and uses the resistor to simulate the temperature. The reason this is a REAL BAD mod is because, as the real outside temperature changes that resistor does NOT adjust and is a set value/temp... and this leads to Lean/Rich A/F mixtures. Not to mention the PCM will learn the sensor is NOT working and will eventually stop using its input.

The POWER WIRE does NOT work like that, allot more time has gone into the POWER WIRE to insure you get a consistent 20 degree difference no matter what the outside temps are. This means it will NEVER cause you to run over Lean or Rich...The PCM will think the air is ALWAYS 20 degrees cooler than actual at ALL TIMES. The effect is additional timing and at WOT you will get approximately 2% more fuel. While normal driving you will NOT get the additional fuel but you do get the timing advance and that’s the real reason for this mod.

As the out side air temps change the POWER WIRE allows your air temperature sensor to work as advertised... and your PCM is able to adjust the timing and fuel to the ever changing intake air temps... but it will always read 20 degrees cooler than actual. UNLIKE the "Resistor trick" mentioned above which does NOT work with your air temperature sensor to insure a constant KNOWN difference in temperature. Your PCM will NOT learn the POWER WIRE and the gains will not be lost over time... unlike the "Resistor trick" that jumps the plug, after time your PCM will learn the values are too high/low and it will stop using the it for the air temp inputs and will start using the battery temps instead. But with the POWER WIRE this will not happen.

I hope this cleared up any misunderstandings, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 03-21-2006, 12:14 AM
jeffjs
Professional

Interesting explanation. Do you have a link with more details?

Old 03-21-2006, 01:14 AM
schawks73
Professional

Here is a link to order the POWERWIRE and a few paragraphs to decribe what it is...

http://www.airram.com/products6_DodgeTalk.htm

also, you have probably already said this but i tend to read quickly and not real theroughly (sp?). I have a stocik 05 4.7L and i just got a flowmaster(dual) put on it and i ordered the AIRRAM intake/scoop/PW and i was wondering if i HAVE TO use the 91+ oct for the PW or if that is just the PW with a tuner or flashpaq? Let me know.

-David

Old 03-21-2006, 03:16 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using the POWER WIRE with the SUPERCHIPS or equivalent programmer we do recommend the use of 91+ octane fuel due to the fact th eprogramer advances your timing and the POWER WIRE only makes your timing curve slightly more agressive.... So be on the safe side and run the 91 octane... its worth it just for the performance gains alone.

Using the POWER WIRE alone you can use the low octane fuel but you will get better performance with the mid grade or the 91+ octane fuel. The Power Wire alone will not cause any damage by using the low octane fuel because it adds 2% more fuel at WOT... This makes more power and the 2% more fuel creates a more stable/RICHER A/F ratio. So if you have added headers or about to do so you have learned that headers have been known to lean you out at WOT... the POWER WIRE will help make you richer (+2% more fuel) at WOT and help prevent possible burning up valves/cats/o2 sensors due to running lean.

What makes the PW special is the fact that it is a PLUG & PLAY mod.... you do NOT have to cut your air temp sensors harness. If you where to do this mod on your own you would have to cut your truck harness and solder and heat shrink the correct resistor "IN LINE"... not to difficult... but when you want to take your truck in for service... they WILL NOT like that mod because it alters the information the PCM uses. So you should remove it.... if you have the PW you could have it removed/installed in less than 10 seconds.... but if you solderd in place it would take you much longer.

So there are many reasons to run the POWER WIRE, not to mention the 8-10HP gain you get with the PW.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 03-21-2006, 09:03 AM
bgden21

Installation was so easy. I did reset the comp too so hopefully Ill have some positive results. There isnt a programmer for the 2005 4.7 is there?

Quick Reply: PowerWire