3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck computers=backstabbers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:03 AM
ShortBedHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: truck computers=backstabbers?

Yea thats what Im wondering.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:33 AM
buckw1
Professional

So much misinformation. 1st, most dealers service writers and managers DO NOT know the limitations of their own warranty! Anything major usually requires a district reps approval, and they are generally out to serve the customer cause they don't want lemon law or a buy back.
What can be required to validate powertrain warranty: Proof of scheduled maintenance being done, especially oil changes.
ANY none factory mod to the powertrain can be a reason for denial of claim, so if you have a CAI,Superchip or whatever, put the original back on before going to dealer.
Does the powertrain computer store ALL info? NO! The trans and engine computers will store about 20 seconds of data immediatly before and after the check engine light turns on. It will show percent of throttle, rpm, vehicle speed and other data and could probably be used to scare some customers. But by itself, it can not be a reason for denial. Todays engines all have a rev limiter along with a speed limiter. Passing speed and rpm can be high as was noted.
Now I suspose if the computer data showed a drag race event, ie: truck in neutral, rpm high, 0 mph and next frame shows truck in gear and speed of 20 and rpm of 1500 I would imagine there is nothing you could do to get warranty other than make sure computer does not show that info by flashing back the original programming which erases the memory.
So this talk of computers storing ALL driving info is not 100% true.
Ohh, the latest airbag computers will also store ALL vehicle info in the event of deployment, but again it is only a few seconds before and after the event.
Now Onstar on the otherhand, hmmmmm, are the commercials true? can it call call you and tell you your car is broke? You BET! GM knows whats broke before you bring the vehicle in for service! and they know if you been naughty or nice Onstar and European technology scares me, it is almost a invasion of privacy......and now Honda or some Jap car maker has a fully automatic cruise system, look Ma, No HANDS!

Yes, I work in a dealer, not Dodge though.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:56 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

Thats what I meant by everything, if you are at 2000 RPM's, 0 mph, and then 3500 RPM's and 30 MPH, the computer would have to catch that. That is not "normal" operation. I agree, it is not going to record you cruising at 35 mph all day long. Its not really that inconceivable for the manufacturer to set certain parameters outside normal operation (i.e. 2000 RPM's and 0 mph), and record operation for a specified amount of time. They'd be stupid not to do it. As you said, dealers and manufacturers are not fond of Lemon Law returns. They'd probably want to know the reason why your rear end grenaded "suddenly while driving 25 mph." Well, checking the computer could theoretically say you may have been doing 25 mph, but after you power braked it at 2500 rpm's. Food for thought.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:24 AM
05_FL_RAM
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: buckw1

So much misinformation. 1st, most dealers service writers and managers DO NOT know the limitations of their own warranty! Anything major usually requires a district reps approval, and they are generally out to serve the customer cause they don't want lemon law or a buy back.
What can be required to validate powertrain warranty: Proof of scheduled maintenance being done, especially oil changes.
ANY none factory mod to the powertrain can be a reason for denial of claim, so if you have a CAI,Superchip or whatever, put the original back on before going to dealer.

Yes, I work in a dealer, not Dodge though.
Damn, talk about a mouthfull of nothing.
No offense, but emptying trash cans after closing does not qualify as "I work at a dealer".....
A CAI will NOT void your entire powertrain warranty....nor will exhuast work.....nor will many other things....the FlashPaq though....again, no....and this is going to depend on your attitude with the dealer and type of repair needed.

Please read H E R E about the Mangnuson Act and again H E R E about SEMAs efforts to guide you.

I will say that records of regular maintenance is a big plus...not only does it help you build a relationship with the dealer...it puts your records in THEIR system too.

Quick Reply: truck computers=backstabbers?