3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck computers=backstabbers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
b3nzyme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck computers=backstabbers?

two questions that i know have an easy answer but i just want to know what you guys say:

1: Let's say I was racing my truck engine one day and it blew up/messed up or whatever. I took it to the dealership. can they scan your computer and tell that you raced your engine and thus not cover it by warranty? theoretically, if that is so, I don't think that's right because let's say i was just wanting to pass somebody on the highway. that would be practically the same thing. and there's no way a warranty should not cover something like that because it's not right to sell someone a peice of crap that can't even perform at full throttle. Vehicles should be able to last just as long at full throttle as they would at a simple 1200 rpms. that's just my thoughts..

2 i've added only two mods to my truck...simple glass pack duel rear exit exhaust and a K&N high-flow filters. Well as of recently I have been overconident that if any happens to my engine, it'll be covered. Well, i re-thought that recently and I wonder if anything should go wrong with my engine, will they be able to say that those mods caused engine failure and thus void my warranty? If so, that is screwed up because those mods barely have any effect, (or shouldn't because good flowing intake/exhaust is supposed to INCREASE the life of the motor).

sorry for over-elaborating i just want you guys to see my point of view (as well as answer my questions lol)

Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM
greenmachine
All Star
Default RE: truck computers=backstabbers?

Just an example of how dealerships will try to get out of warranty work--- my father in law blew his motor in his o2 Ram. The dealership tried to tell him it was his fault because the scan revealed that he overtempted the engine and that it was low on oil. He told them that they could talk to his lawyer.

What really happened was he was headed toward KY Lake and lost a seal or ring I cant remember which, then the truck overtemped due to lack of oil. You know how it is going down the interstate you tend not to pay attention to your instruments. Good thing is they did cover it. My father in law says it acted like a totally different truck afterwards so I m guessing it did not feel right from the get go.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:52 PM
ShortBedHemi
Rookie

I was wondering also, could I program my truck with a superchip flashpaq and if something were to blow up, could I just switch it back to stock and they not know anything about it?

Old 03-22-2006, 06:00 PM
b3nzyme

^^^ yea.. that question iwanttoknow too...theres too much people like me and this guy above DONT know about computers..

Old 03-22-2006, 06:03 PM
b3nzyme

and one more thing.. i never wanted to get a performance module/chip or anything like that because i am soo paranoid that the backstabbing computer will be able to tell them that it happened...

WHERE ARE THE HACKERS WHEN YOU NEED THEM? LOL

they need to post on the internet:"hacks for your dodge ram", "how to hack your dodge ram", "codes to make your computer forget the past three days"

WEEE NEEED HAX0RZ!

Old 03-22-2006, 06:19 PM
greenmachine
All Star

I had a superchip in my truck and never had an issue. My friend also had a superchip and anytime he had to have service done he reloaded the old program, worked every time.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

My current neighbor had a V6 Accord Coupe and he missed his 4-5 shift and went 4-3 instead and brought the RPM's way over redline and damaged the engine. Honda refused to pay for the repair because they could see that the motor had been reved to xxxx rpm prior to the problem and denied the claim. He paid out of pocket for that one, to the tune of $1750! So it isn't just Dodge, but all makes.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:43 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

The computer records EVERYTHING you do in your truck. If you are in an accident, they can tell how quickly you were going, if you pressed the brakes (because some people claimed brake failure, when in reality they were lying), etc. So, yeah if you are constantly flooring your truck, and happen to blow something, the dealer would know.

As for mods like an intake and exhaust, I highly doubt they would cause any signficant performance increases to cause a problem. In fact, less restrictive exhaust and intake are easier on the engine. The rule is, if the dealer can PROVE that your modification or aftermarket part directly caused the failure, then you are screwed.

I've had a programmer on my truck for about a month. The manual says to take the truck back to stock when going in for service, in case they flash the computer with an update. If the truck is not set at stock, and they flash the computer, the programmer no longer works. It is simple, just take 10 minutes to return it to factory settings before taking it in for service.

I think if you had a supercharger, NOS, or something that truly added serious HP, then you should be worried.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:51 PM
ShortBedHemi
Rookie

So will they be able to tell that I re-programed my truck?

Old 03-23-2006, 01:00 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I imagine they can. I can't say for sure, but if something happens when you are doing 120 mph, they'd know you did something. Thats probably a good question for any of the Dodge techs on here, if you install a programmer, and return it to stock before service, can the dealer tell?

Quick Reply: truck computers=backstabbers?