3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1200 mile trip report

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006 | 03:11 PM
osteodoc08
|
Record Breaker
Default 1200 mile trip report

I am back, safe and sound, in South Florida after visiting my parents in the Atlanta area. I just wanted to share some observations and of course some MPG calculations

1. On my first tank up there I traveled 542 miles on 29.8 gallons of 89 octane gas. This is 18.1 mpg. Overhead said 20.2mpg Speed was around 70-75 mpg in decent traffic, all highway (Fl tpk and I-75)
2. Second fill up was with 456 miles and 28.2 gallons. That's 16.2 mpg. Overhead said 16.9mpg That was in mixed highway/rural backroad driving with a little city.
I haven't filled up the tank for a third measure as I got in at 4:30 AM this morning and was exhausted. Overhead said 18.6mpg.

Other observations:
1. My speedo must be off as I got pulled over for doing 82 in a 70 even though my cruise was set at 78-79. County mounty let me go with a verbal warning. Prior to getting pulled over, I passed 3 state troopers, they didn't bother.
2. I prefer driving at night as there is far less traffic, but my lights must be bright as I kept getting flashed. Gonna lower them down a bit today as they do seem to be aimed a little high. I swear I could see the racoons in the trees with my brights on
3. I hate it when someone blows past you and 5 minutes later you have to go around them because they can't regulate thier speed and then they blow past you again.
4. Pine pollen and a black truck don't mix well.
5. Just hit 15K so I'm gonna switch over to Mobil1 in the crankcase and change the diff fluid tomorrow.
6. Weather was perfect except for the last 30 minutes when I got a little rain and slick roads. Gotta get rid of those crappy OEM tires!
7. No matter how many times I hear Lee Greenwood's "Bless the USA" it doesn't get old and I still crank it up.
8. We have a very beautiful country. Me and Trinity had some good bonding time over the course of the trip. Nothing like turning the radio off with the windows down, country air, sunshine, and 75 temps to make you feel good.

Old 04-11-2006 | 04:17 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Default RE: 1200 mile trip report

I got to know my truck on the 1300 mile return trip from Pennsylvania to Arkansas last year. I bought it up in PA, and we drove it back about a week later. According to the computer, I averaged about 16.5mpg or so on the highway. It also only had about 900 miles on it by the time we hit the open road, so mileage varied between then and now, I'm sure. According to my Garmin GPS, my speedo is spot-on. Never any problems with Johnny Law. I'd set the cruise about 5 miles over the posted limit, look over to see the wife and daughter sleeping, then just relax in the seat and drive on through.

Both wife and child enjoyed the return trip much more than they did the trip up there in my old '04 VW Jetta GLI. The new Ram was like a big sofa compared to the leather sport seats and cramped back seat of the Jetta. The steering wheel mounted radio controls were my favorite feature on the return trip. We've since taken it to Atlanta for Thanksgiving, and I've driven it to Texas for a business trip. I love traveling in this truck.

Old 04-11-2006 | 05:20 PM
osteodoc08
|
Record Breaker

I've done the trip before with the truck, but not just me. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 04-11-2006 | 06:46 PM
TheRedMonkey
Professional

I have yet to take my truck on a big road trip. The longest I tend to drive is from Sacramento, CA to San Diego. About 500 miles or so. I am really interested to see how it does on the Grapevine. For those that don't know the Grapevine is a mountain area that seperates California from Southern California and can be a bitch for traffic.

Old 04-11-2006 | 09:09 PM
HankL
Champion

Great report.
I enjoyed reading it.
I certainly agree with #7 and #8.
Every now and then when a station plays the group Alabama's song 'I'm in a hurry to get things done' it is worth cranking up and singing along too.

Old 04-12-2006 | 04:56 AM
Cunard

the best highway mileage my truck ever had was 12.2 mpg.........has 20,000+ miles on it now

Old 04-12-2006 | 11:38 AM
bobgraphics

Just did 1658 miles round trip from Annapolis, MD to Chicago, Il. First long trip, truck started out with 3,000 miles on the odometer.
Total fuel used - 82.9 gallons, I used 89 octane, mostly Sonoco on the tollway travel plazas.
I was pleasantly suprised to average just a hair over 20mpg. Constant 70-75mph. Previously, in my day to day driving, I had yet to break the 14 mpg mark.
I too, noticed some disparity in the speedometer passing the automatic radar signs in the construction work zones, my speedo read 55, the radar sign read 58.
The truck handles well up to about 75mph, at 80 mph the front end likes to float little.

Stock 06 1500
4.7L
5 speed auto
2wd, regular cab, short bed

Old 01-10-2008 | 08:29 PM
Petz
Professional

i just absolutely love my dodge ram! I have made two long distance trips from tulsa (chicago and houston) and really enjoy having all of the comfort and extra space to relax in. I have made trips in a honda civic, nissan altima, and chevy blazer before but nothing beats the Ram. Also love being up higher and having the feeling of a big heavy truck around you.

My dad and I would make june trips from california to utah to fish and I remember having the windows down at night and feeling the warm air and watching the electrical storms off in the distance of AZ and NV. Hopefully one of these days I can get my Ram out there and make new memories.

Quick Reply: 1200 mile trip report