3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

performance mods..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:50 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default performance mods..

on the 5.7 hemi, I want to go to dual ex from the cat's back, truck is a 2500 reg cab long box slt wx4 with a six sp manual, I'm still waiting for dodge to build this truck, I would like the ex. pipe's to exit out the side ( like SRT )
I also want to add a cold air intake, I'm not looking for a racer but mods that can free up factery botled up horse power, I do not want to chip the truck or play with tuners and getting more mpg out of this truck is my focus, And yes, I know it is a truck.

Cold air intakes, Best ?
Ex, mangna flow, Flow master, ect ?

I'm a kid waiting for christmas with this truck, I can't wait...

Old 04-15-2006, 02:14 AM
ShortBedHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: performance mods..

I got the cheapest cold air intake on ebay for $20 for a hemi. It works good, and at about 3000 rpm's and up it whittsles and sounds cool. I like the flowmaster way better than any other, unless its a bassani or something expensive, but I went with flowmaster.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:02 AM
SiZzOuRcE

Magnaflows are the way to go. Dual inlet, dual outlet or true duals are your best bet. But trash the 'Y' pipe ASAP.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:31 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

can you go stright back from the cat's to the rear bumper on the hemi, or is the transfer case inn the way. Don't have my truck yet to see, I do beleave it's cheaper ( less pipe less restriction ) to run ex. pipes out the right side befor the wheal well., But I like the look of the pipes under the rear bumper...

Old 04-15-2006, 04:56 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

If you want cheap, go with Flowmaster, but if you're willing to spend money, go with Borla or Corsa.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:09 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

You might want to rethink the mods. You will have very little return for the money you invest in the mods. If you have another 10-15 at the wheel you are doing fantastic with those mods. I'd just leave it stock unless you just wanted a more aggressive exhaust note, then just replace the muffler.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:23 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

You might want to rethink the mods. You will have very little return for the money you invest in the mods. If you have another 10-15 at the wheel you are doing fantastic with those mods. I'd just leave it stock unless you just wanted a more aggressive exhaust note, then just replace the muffler.
Concur. I don't really see a difference between CAI's from different companies, there is just not much you can do up front with CAI design to free up hp. As for true dual, I've seen alot of people complain about performance LOSS. Something about loss of back pressure making the HEMI run worse.

There IS less hp loss if you have shorter pipes(side exhaust) due to surface friction inside the pipe, but definitely not enough for you to ever notice. To notice a difference we're talking hundreds of feet of pipe difference needed. If you do it, do it for sound or style.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:28 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

How restrictive is the stock ex system on the Hemi ? I would think that dumping the boat anker of a mufler off the truck would improve performance, and do the 1500 ram 2500 5.7 ram have the same size ex systems

Quick Reply: performance mods..