3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torn between 2 trucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:55 PM
jhalfhill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn between 2 trucks

I really want a PowerWagon but i don't want a gasoline motor. I'd rather have the Cummins instead. I wonder how much trouble it would be to order a factory Powerwagon without a motor and have a Cummins installed. Everything should bolt up ok. Other than cost, would there be any major transmission issues in doing this?

Old 04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Torn between 2 trucks

I could be wrong but i thought there was a thread somewhere on here that was talking about why the powerwagon wasnt available with the CTD, it had something to do with the front mounted winch and some other factors in its design resulting in the absence of the diesel.....

Old 04-18-2006, 01:01 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

The weight of the motor is one thing. The CTD weighs almost 400lbs more than the HEMI. [>:] Plus all that weight up front would be hard on the suspension...especially if the truck is primarily marketed as an off-road rig.

Then of course there's the winch that takes up room in the front. There's quite a few reasons why....

Old 04-18-2006, 01:37 AM
jhalfhill
Rookie

but the transmission in the powerwagons would work with the CTD?

Old 04-18-2006, 01:44 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Auto or Manual.............??? I guess either one i couldnt tell ya.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:46 PM
ibanezta
Rookie

what is it about the hemi that you don't want? it gets better mileage than the CTD, and out here in the cali bay area, diesel is a couple cents over premium unleaded. so unless you're towing all the damn time, id just get it with the hemi. it'd be better off road any ways with the hemi. otherwise, i wouldnt bother with the power wagon if you want a CTD.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

well what ibanezta said about the hemi getting better mileage is incorrect since one big advantage diesels have its putting out more power with better fuel economy. now i know that the Hemi has more power than the CTD but im making a general statement and the diesel motor might weigh more but i would rather have it for the fact that it is alot easier to pull extra horses out of a diesel than it is to do to a gas motor. they make a chip for the cummins that doubles the stock horsepower (giving you about 670 hp) and it is near impossible to pull that kind of power out of a hemi unless you are talkin about doin some serious stuff to it. what he said about it being heavier and thus not as good offroading is correct but i doubt that you are doing any real serious mudding where weight would be a big issue due to the fact that he is buying a big heavy fullsive truck. if he was going through an ungodly amount of deep mud that would cause a heavier vehicle to sink then i think he would be looking at a jeep. for his needs im sure the power wagon with a CTD would suit him but i dont know enough to know if it is possible to put one in the truck you are looking at. if you are dead set on having a diesel then go with a different dodge truck. good luck with your truck shopping

Old 04-19-2006, 03:42 PM
dieselram
Captain

You can't get the Power Wagon with a diesel for two main reasons: 1. The intercooler for the diesel is where they mounted the winch and 2. the weight of the diesel engine forces you to use the heavy duty springs (much stiffer and therefore less articulation) and the larger rear axle (which does not fit the locker in the Power Wagon). Now, if you can find some of the other features for sale (skid plates, electronic disconnect sway bar) they should mount up, but I'm positive. I, along with a few other 3rd genners here, are still still trying to find them for sale outside the dealers.
For horsepower, yes the Hemi has 20hp on a diesel (345 vs 325) but the Cummins has 200ft/lb on the Hemi, and as mentioned before, the ease of upgrades. Now, power to weight ratio and redline, the Hemi rocks the Cummins.

Now, as for this mileage thing, its been talked about on here many, many times: Diesels Get Better MPG, final. Show me one Hemi getting 20mpg, I've got 40 examples of 20mpg Cummins (unloaded), including an 11sec 2500 that still gets 23mpg. I routinely get between 18-20 and I basically have to the worst setup for mpg, vehicle-wise (excluding the engine). And in Florida, diesel is cheaper than regular grade (87) by a nickel.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Mystro
Captain

The deisel is a tow rig and the PowerWagon is a offraod rig. Both can be used to cross trades but the hemi motor makes for a better offroad rig. Dodge knows what they are doing.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:54 PM
ibanezta
Rookie

stock for stock the CTD gets worse mileage. right now only bullydog has a prgrammer that will work on the 06 CTD. haven't heard of any numbers. even with just that however, you're going to have to upgrade your torque converter otherwise your tranny will prematurely fail. my buddy has an 06 CTD 2500 4x4 QC, i have an 06 1500 4X4 QC hemi with 3.92's. we just went to tahoe. he was gettin an average of 15mpg or so. i got 18-20. no, you're not going to get the same power out of the hemi as you will the CTD, however it is also delivered differently. the hemi doesnt need as much power or torque to run the same times. with either motor once you start adding power, you are going to have to look at beefing up the bottom end and tranny. if i were to get a diesel, i'd wait till next year and get the 6.7 litre. i think that will get better mileage because even with almost a full litre more motor, it makes the same torque with a little less power. which means the new motor is slightly detuned compared to the current CTD which could translate to better fuel economy. the only reason to get a power wagon really is to use it off road since it is setup for it with the wench, electronic disconnect for the sway bar, and the lockers front and rear. if you're not going to use these things, just get a 4x4 CTD and get a leveling kit for it, and it will look like the power wagon does stock. it's all a matter of what you're looking for in a truck. the only thing i like more about my truck is the ride. other than that, id go either way again with a CTD or a hemi. test drive both and decide from there.

Quick Reply: Torn between 2 trucks