3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Rams equipped with Sentry Key

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
byrdman64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Rams equipped with Sentry Key

the interface or module he is talking about will allow you to install the aftermarket alarm system.
i just install a alarm system last week. the interface module cost $20 dollars. the one i bought has remote start, turbo timer, keyless entry and Alarm. $460 out the door. the interface module allows for two things to happen one the truck to be remote started without the senrty key and for mine allows me to leave the truck running for two minutes for the turbo to cool down while i walkway with key in hand and the alarm set-doors locked. thats it in a nutshell! have no fear! just do it! Keep Rammin!

Old 12-12-2021, 11:31 AM
Irwin Billiot
Amateur

do 2001 have this security feature? i never got a fob when i brought truck, after 6 months now its stalling after 15 minutes of running, replaced so much stuff i got myself confused

Old 12-12-2021, 11:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Black key is just a normal key. Grey key is the 'security enabled' key. If your truck starts with a black key, then you don't have that particular feature.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Irwin Billiot
Amateur

i read if you remove the iod fuse for 10 sec and it starts back up its because the module was reset. this worked to remove "no bus" situation crank no-start. truck started right up, it usually takes 5 -10 minutes sitting to start but not when i removed and replaced iod fuse.

problem, my key is black and doesn't have enough room for a chip. i've never had an fob. and i can't see any module. i'm guessing previous owner bypassed it and somehow after i used it awhile it working again?

Old 12-12-2021, 04:26 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

Fifteen years later

Old 12-12-2021, 05:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Irwin Billiot
i read if you remove the iod fuse for 10 sec and it starts back up its because the module was reset. this worked to remove "no bus" situation crank no-start. truck started right up, it usually takes 5 -10 minutes sitting to start but not when i removed and replaced iod fuse.

problem, my key is black and doesn't have enough room for a chip. i've never had an fob. and i can't see any module. i'm guessing previous owner bypassed it and somehow after i used it awhile it working again?
Pull a build sheet for your truck, and see if there is any flavor of stock alarm system on it.

Yeah, truly old thread, and he's in the wrong section too. He has a second gen.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:28 AM
Irwin Billiot
Amateur

i was able to get the build sheet (thanks for email address), i don't see anything that sounds like an alarm system; however the truck is behaving just like an immobilizer is taking affect after around 10-15 minutes. there's no fuse/relay in security spot under hood, and one won't stay stuck if i put it in. and i can't make out any security flashing red button on instrument cluster (its old and might not be working though.)

anyone know what a skim/skreem/fob would be referred to as on build sheet?

side note when i search this site in 2nd forum it send me here, i just tried it again. it'd be nice to post that email address in all forums, it definitely has me thinking i have no security issue

Old 12-15-2021, 10:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Might be listed as Remote Keyless Entry. But, that's not an alarm.

Does the truck just quit after 15 minutes? Will it start right back up? Or does it need to sit for awhile before it will restart?

Old 12-15-2021, 03:31 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

RKE is something else. Keyless entry is listed in the 2001 parts book but security keys (or SKIM) are not. SKREEM is the later CAN bus vehicles, keyless and security are integrated into one module (Sentry Key REmote Entry Module).

Old 12-17-2021, 11:53 AM
Irwin Billiot
Amateur

it'll start up again sometimes, but then shut down after about 5-10 minutes. then it'll be no-bus and i have to wait 10-15 minutes for it to start again. the process is always the same. its not the computer because i tried a new solopcms computer and it does the exact same thing. can't be a wire or connection because its not random. changed crank sensor...tuned engine, which runs great, but alas i can't solve problem. thanks for input!

Quick Reply: Dodge Rams equipped with Sentry Key