3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cab lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007 | 08:36 PM
Rizzo20
|
Rookie
Default RE: cab lights / fender flares

LoL, your right!

Old 07-15-2007 | 01:00 AM
bltp203
Rookie
Default RE: cab lights / fender flares

Can you give any tips or advice for those of us that wanna do this?

Was the headliner a pain?

How do you know where to drill?

Any info would be great.

Old 07-15-2007 | 09:03 AM
Rizzo20
|
Rookie
Default RE: cab lights

bltp203 sorry bro, I had intentions of doing that but ran out of PC time, wife naggin'! The kit comes with a nice template thats easy to line up with the roof lines. As far as tools go, 10 mm deepwell, T-20 torx bit, T-50 torx bit , 1/4 " & 7/8 " drill bits and drill, hammer and center punch. The headliner comes down just as srenken said. I had the headliner down in 10 or 15 minutes. The sun visors have 3 torx screws holding them in, the A and B- pillars have two 10 mm bolts, You'll need the T-50 torx bit to get the seatbelt harness off of the B pillar, after popping the lenses from the reading lights in the overhead console there are two T-20 screws that hold that up.I didn't remove the rear pillar covers next to the rear window (quad cab).After removeing the rear coat hooks (have no screws, operate just like arivet push pin)and all of the items mentioned above the liner came right down.It took alot of guts to drill 15 holes in my roof, 5 of them being bigger than a quarter! Just make sure that you have the template centered, check it 3 times to make sure you have equal space all around and then start center punching The only thing that I was hung up on was the fact that I didn't have a 7/8" drill bit. Figured I run over to lowes and get one. Most 7/8" bits which they really didn't have any, use a 1/2" shank. Not alot of people have a drill that can use 1/2'" shank bits so make sure first! The "easy" solution is to buy one of those cone shaped speed bits that drill holes from 1/4" to 7/8" all in one bit. The only problem was that single drill bit wasover $30. One last tip, make sure that you put a blanket or something inside the truck before you start drilling. I left the headliner just laying on top of the seats so it caught most of the debris from drilling. There were a few pieces of hot shrapnel that actual melted down into my floor mats..... I think it was a pretty easy upgrade as long as you leave yourself the 3-4 hours that it takes to do it. I'll leave you with a few more picsfrom the front, I think they lined up awesome!
Edit: Wiring was easy. Screw the ground wire to the inner roof panel via the self tapping screw provided in the kit, and run the power wire down the right A- pillar to the plug that srenken mentioned. A quick test with voltmeter revealed that one gray wire had 12 volts on it so I used a saddle connector and tapped right in.

Old 07-15-2007 | 09:48 AM
#Red
Record Breaker

Great job and they look fantastic! I may do it to my truck. I always liked cab lights on a truck but they were not offered on the 1500. Good job. Red

Old 07-15-2007 | 12:12 PM
NJMandCEM
Professional

They do look nice.... Wish i had a set...

Old 07-15-2007 | 04:52 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

great install!!! took you long enough though!! I actually asked about this about a month ago and didnt get any hits. I definately wanna do this to my truck but i think i wanna go with the clear lights. Great install by the way. Truck looks awesome!

Old 07-15-2007 | 08:14 PM
Rizzo20
|
Rookie

Thanks for the comments! I've always been a "cab light" guy. Some say it gives it a pappy look but as long as I'm happy that's all that matters. It's also one of the coolest mods I've done for under $100.

Quick Reply: cab lights