3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:13 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?

Haven't done it yet, but plan too. I've read alot of good things about it, one being that it doesn't have to be reinflated as often.
As soon as i do, I'll make sure and post it.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:29 PM
06POWERWAGON
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is only one potential benefit: Better pressure retention.
It does not enhance fuel milage or give longer tread life. Proper pressure just helps the tire perform as designed.

I wouldn't fall for the "chemical aging" benefit. How long does this chemical aging process take without nitrogen vs with nitrogen. Maybe I am just skeptical of everything these days, but the outside of the tire is exposed to more than nitrogen, right! (Maybe this would apply to semi truck recap tires?)

The tire store where I just bought my last set of tires (I think it was Discount Tire?) claimed it is a waste.
The store doesn't want to promote the idea of inflating your tires once with nitrogen, and then not having to check the pressure.
There is no substitute for a tire gage and air compressor! Most tire stores will check and fill your tires for free if you don't want to do it yourself.

Normal air is 70% nitrogen already.
When your tires get low, and they will, you will most likely add normal air anyway.

Basically, if the nitrogen is free, there is nothing to lose, so go for it.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:38 AM
1baddodge
Professional

Well here are my 2 cents. I have been running nitrogen for probably about a year. So here is my opinion. Yes it does save your tire wear why because the temp stays constant especially in the spring and summer months you see it when the road is so hot. Your inner tire temp does not build up and wear your tire as much. As far as the weight ratio that is a no go. There really isnt that much of a difference to make an impact on gas mileage. I spent about $10.00 to have all my tire's done, do I think it's worth it, personally yes. Think of this at least have your spare done. How often do we check our tire pressure in our spare tire. I bet if you took a tire gauge to it tommorow it would be low. So what good is that. Food for thought. Again just my 2 cent's. As always i hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41359/A2F5B903C95B486299ECC42B7B5D294F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2006, 12:19 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

This could be the most foolish thing I have ever heard.

My first question is how does a gas temperature stay constant? Completely impossible. No matter what gas you have it will be similar to the ambient air through conduction.

Have you ever seen a tire and rim weathered from being open to the air? Not on a daily driver, maybed on one that has been sittting a few years.

Even if you have your tire filled with some stupid inert gas you still have just as much of the tire open to the ambient air temperature, sun and whatever else. Depending on your elevation Nitrogen is around 70% of the air you breath.

Remember the first rule of marketing. Creat a need for your customers.

This is just stupid.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

Ask Nascar, they all use it. Must be a reason. Besides when the car catch's on fire.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:15 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

I don't know about Nascar but Sprint cars run Nitrogen. They also tear down engines after every race. Why not tear down your motor once a week along with adding Nitrogen to your tires.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:23 AM
1baddodge
Professional

Actually Nascar does run Nitrogen filled tires along with all aircraft, Formula race cars etc.. Maybe my wording was misleading but Nitrigen does not heat up as fast as air does also your air pressure does stay constant as opposed to air. So for any confusion I may have stated, sorry. Hell it's better to try and fail than not to have tried at all. It's all personal preference. Hemibuell relax it's not like were testing flux-capsitors and saying they work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41359/8915F21B51FA4CD6A451ECA17F122812.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Jetpig
Professional

Nitrogen molecules are larger than those of regular air which also has nitrogen in it. I think everyone knows that if you don't check the pressure over a long period of time, the pressure bleeds down some. The best tires in the world bleed air over time. Nitrogen is much more maintenance free because they don't bleed as bad.

All the other stuff I am not sure about but I can definitely see those advantages. Nitrogen also doesn't hold moisture like air regular air does.

By the way, a local GM dealer here is advertising on the radio a swap from air to nitrogen for $26.95. What a SCAM!

Old 11-27-2006, 11:01 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I've never had a tire failure from using plain old air. I just make sure that the pressures are where they are supposed to be.

I'm not sure about the corrosion issue, but I never really saw any on the inside of many aluminum rims unless they were "washed" with a cleaner not approved for aluminum, but that was typically on the outside. Most of it was minor pitting and a dull finish.

Are the things they state about nitrogen fill true? Probably. Will I see a real world difference? Probably not.
I can see a use in extreme environments like airplanes and race cars, where leakage might be a concern. The airplanes go from one temp extreme to the other. By having the nitrogen fill, they are less likely to lose pressure during these temp swings. Same with Nascar. As the tire heats up, so does the gas inside. This gas is bouncing all over the place. The bigger nitrogen molecule might keep from losing pressure. But if you actually go to the periodic table, the atomic radius is actually smaller than oxygen. Go figure. Maybe the linking of the atoms cause a bigger actual molecule, but nitrogen in itself is smaller than oxygen.

But that brings up another issue....Temperature. Remember the ideal gas law PV=nRT. I don't see how the molecule or even molecule size can exert an effect on T, temperature. Since the pressure and volume of the tire doesn't change, how can the temperature? n is a constant, but the R is based on the kinetic energy of a molecule. Air is roughly 21% oxygen and 78% nitrogen with a mix of other gases at 1%. If we use this to calculate the kinetic energy of the gas, you'll see that the molecular weight of nitrogen to be roughly 14 and that of oxygen to be 16. So since the molecular weight is a key factor in determining R, perhaps the nitrogen does effect temperature, but to a very minute and insignificant amount.

How do I think nitrogen benefits:
1. IF it works as advertised and your tires stay inflated longer so you have an optimal tire pressure for a longer period of time increasing your tire life, MPG, etc.
2. It probably prevent corrosion, but not to the degree where I would notice it. Perhaps because the Nitrogen is also free of H20. Most gas station pumps don't dry the air that is being put into your tires. The nitrogen is dry, so no moisture.

My skepticism:
1. If air is already 78% nitrogen, do I get a benefit from "pure" nitrogen? Am I really benefiting from 20% boost in nitrogen to my tire?
2. How do they get all the air out of a tire during a "swap"? Does the tire completely collapse on itself as the extract the "regular air" and fill back up with "pure" nitrogen? I don't think so. There is still "regular air" in the tire as they fill up with "pure nitrogen"

That's it. My .02 anyhow. I'll stick to compressed air.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:13 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I'll stick to my air compressor over filling my tires with nitrogen. I'm not going to pay to have my tires filled when I can do it my self as often as I want. Any air will leak frim a tire over time, Rubber will expand and contract no matter what temperature the inside air is, its a physical property of rubber and this will also happen with aluminum too so even if the tire doesn't expand or contract that doesn't mean your aluminum rims wouldn't. I would believe this alot more though if someone could tell me how exactly nitrogen can stay "cool" in the middle of the summer in Arizona where its usually 117+/- out during the day and in the high 90's at night? I know the properties of gases and unless its compressed to a high pressure in a small volume of space in a container that does not expand or contract and is sealed air tight it wont stay cold.

Quick Reply: NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?