3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 02:43 PM
NYPANAMA
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?

Got a question. Some tire shops are inflating tires with NITROGEN, instead of regular AIR. Any body have any info on the Pros and Cons to this?

Old 05-07-2006, 04:23 PM
eatsleepdrivesc
Veteran
Default RE: NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?

um a pro is that it doesn't lose pressure easily or lose it too easily, in orlando all the public transportation buses run by lynx they have the huge buses their tires are filled with nitrogen. hope this helps but maybe try googleing it or something

Old 05-07-2006, 04:31 PM
silentblinder9502
Professional

When air is cold, it compresses. For every 10 degrees the temperature drops you lose 1 psi in your tires. Nitrogen on the other hand is a cold gas. It stays close to 1 temperature all the time. Thus, preventing a huge loss of psi in your tires. Hope this helps

Old 05-07-2006, 08:52 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

They also claim better mpg and longer tire life. Many of the Dodge dealerships around here have the NitroFill system. The only downside is if you do lose air, due to whatever reason, I guess you'd have to get it filled again.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:52 PM
tcarothers
Rookie

I used to use nitrogen in my tires when i raced stock cars. The reason for the use was that you can set your tire pressures and they will stay consistant when the tire temps rise of fall. As for using nitrogen on the street, I think that it is too pricey, Just keep a tire pressure gauge in your truck and check them when you fill up. As for longer tire life, nitrogen will actually eat the rubber over time. Just my 3 and 1/3 cents worth.
Troy

Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

I use it in my PT all the time .It cost a little more to fill up about $2,00 for four tires. But the pressure stays up longer. Especially with Goodyear tire's

Old 05-09-2006, 12:29 AM
parkersdropped03

BETTER AIR PRESSURE RETENTION... The single biggest reason for tire failure is lack of maintenance of tire pressure. In fact, 54 percent of all vehicles on the road have low tire pressure. Oxygen in compressed air can permeate the tire wall reducing tire pressure. With nitrogen, diffusion is 30 to 40 percent slower than oxygen. As a result, nitrogen maintains tire pressure longer than ambient air.

ENHANCED FUEL ECONOMY... Maintaining tire pressure can boost fuel economy by as much as 6 percent. Nitrogen disperses heat more quickly than ambient air. By restraining the heat in the tire and reducing rolling resistance, you get better fuel economy.

LONGER TREAD LIFE... Longer tread life. With quicker heat dispersion, you get a cooler running tire which helps extend tread life and reduce tire failure. Nitrogen also prevents oxidation which can not only lead to tread separation and belt failure but, when combined with moisture, corrode rims. In fact, moisture can result in rust flakes that can fall into the valve stem, block the valve and cause under-pressurization. It can even cause the valve stem itself to rust.

SLOW CHEMICAL AGING... Filling a tire with nitrogen also significantly slows the chemical aging process of the tire's rubber components. This leads to fewer catastrophic failures like blowouts. Slower aging lengthens tire core life, which yields extra retreads and lower fleet costs.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:37 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

ORIGINAL: parkersdropped03

ENHANCED FUEL ECONOMY... Maintaining tire pressure can boost fuel economy by as much as 6 percent. Nitrogen disperses heat more quickly than ambient air. By restraining the heat in the tire and reducing rolling resistance, you get better fuel economy.

LONGER TREAD LIFE... Longer tread life. With quicker heat dispersion, you get a cooler running tire which helps extend tread life and reduce tire failure. Nitrogen also prevents oxidation which can not only lead to tread separation and belt failure but, when combined with moisture, corrode rims. In fact, moisture can result in rust flakes that can fall into the valve stem, block the valve and cause under-pressurization. It can even cause the valve stem itself to rust.

SLOW CHEMICAL AGING... Filling a tire with nitrogen also significantly slows the chemical aging process of the tire's rubber components. This leads to fewer catastrophic failures like blowouts. Slower aging lengthens tire core life, which yields extra retreads and lower fleet costs.
I can vouch for the ones above.....when I drove test cars for Southwest Research here in San Antonio, they found all the things mentioned above to be true (as well as a bunch of other car related goodies.....)

Dusty

Old 05-09-2006, 01:08 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: parkersdropped03
It also slows the aging process on your rims...especially if they're aluminum. They don't oxidize like they do when they're filled with o2....which can cause the rim to leak at the bead. [:'(]

Old 11-24-2006, 01:03 AM
claydawg
Rookie

My step-grandfather just got the tires on his silverado and yukon filled with nitrogen. I was showing him my new truck and he told me I should look into getting it done. If everything parkersdropped03 says is true (it makes sense), then I may get this done. Anyone else have this done? Any input on whether you like it or not?

Quick Reply: NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?