3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:24 PM
eatsleepdrivesc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4.7L performance

hey guys i was looking and found a webpage that susposidly sells a new H/O intake manifold for the 4.7 and new cams for it to, to increase it 30 hp..

http://www.buymopar.com/store/magnum.html

check them out hope this helps!!

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 05-13-2006, 05:09 AM
badassblueram

ORIGINAL: prerunner

Jet chips is worthless!!!!
180 degree thermo can be found at Jet Chips site.
Just installed the gibson shorty headers and the 4.56 gears yesterday....i'll post after this weekend with my likes and dislikes.
Jet may be worthless but if you have a 4.7L newer than 03 (04 and up) then its all you've got thanks to the PCM changes that Dodge made. And the only motor JET offers a thermostat for dodge is the 5.9L. Trust me; ive spent a lot of time on hold with plenty of companies trying to find one.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:27 PM
20brewcity02
Professional

no, spend the money and get the kenne bell reflash. well worth it

Old 05-15-2006, 04:38 AM
stykthyn
Professional

If you really want to try forced induction look for an STS trubo kit. Can we say 100+ rwhp? It is made for the hemi, but will also bolt on to the 4.7 with no problems. I know that at one time Stripper sold them. The Kenne Bell SC is defunct and no longer made. PAxton makes a good charger for the money also.

If you dont want forced induction I would go with these mods

4:56 gears
206 cams
Fastman ported throttlebody
viper electric fan
AIRRAM CAI
ported heads
shorty headers
exhaust cutout
180 t-stat
custom pcm flash

there are no aftermarket programmers for the 04+ vehicles yet so we are stuck looking for a custom tune. With all these mods you will be able to outrun any stock hemi and possibly some modded ones too. Add a turbo/supercharger on top of that and you will be making some crazy power.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:16 PM
prerunner
Captain

ORIGINAL: badassblueram

ORIGINAL: prerunner

Jet chips is worthless!!!!
180 degree thermo can be found at Jet Chips site.
Just installed the gibson shorty headers and the 4.56 gears yesterday....i'll post after this weekend with my likes and dislikes.
Jet may be worthless but if you have a 4.7L newer than 03 (04 and up) then its all you've got thanks to the PCM changes that Dodge made. And the only motor JET offers a thermostat for dodge is the 5.9L. Trust me; ive spent a lot of time on hold with plenty of companies trying to find one.

The jet chip does help performance, if you want to reset the computer every 500 to 1000 miles. Otherwise the computer just compensates for the chip and yr running stock settings.
Jet DOES offer a 180 degree thermo....i have it installed!!!

Old 05-24-2006, 03:27 PM
stripper
Rookie

ORIGINAL: stykthyn

If you really want to try forced induction look for an STS trubo kit. Can we say 100+ rwhp? It is made for the hemi, but will also bolt on to the 4.7 with no problems. I know that at one time Stripper sold them. The Kenne Bell SC is defunct and no longer made. PAxton makes a good charger for the money also.

If you dont want forced induction I would go with these mods

4:56 gears
206 cams
Fastman ported throttlebody
viper electric fan
AIRRAM CAI
ported heads
shorty headers
exhaust cutout
180 t-stat
custom pcm flash

there are no aftermarket programmers for the 04+ vehicles yet so we are stuck looking for a custom tune. With all these mods you will be able to outrun any stock hemi and possibly some modded ones too. Add a turbo/supercharger on top of that and you will be making some crazy power.
We still are a STS dealer. Very good bang for your buck going with a STS turbo system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Brad

Old 05-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Max00racer
Veteran

with all the money you'd dump into that engine to get good clean performance....might as well just get something off this site http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/blocks.html

Old 06-12-2006, 08:29 PM
SLVRram

i have a o4 4.7L also and i was looking for more power out of it,the sts turbo sounds interesting but will it really bolt up to a 4.7L

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-13-2006, 03:20 AM
GreenJeepsRule

yup - bought my wife a nice truck - but only got the 4.7 - now need to tow a lightweight camper with it..... not a good idea - this thing blows - but too late now. 3,200 lb trailer, having to kick down to 2nd gear on anything but level ground to maintain 55-60 mph - ran 40 miles into a headwind 4600 rpm in 2nd gear - exhaust is blued out all the way to the tip now! only have 12k mi on this thing, if I can't get more low end out of it for towing, gonna have to sell it and buy a real man's truck

regarding rear end gears. 4.11 or 4.56 - I see a number of you put in 4.56 - any of you towing? impact to mileage running empty?

any other ideas? forced air with turbo or supercharger should improve low end torque - but if I'm spending $5k - time to sell it and buy a used diesel

thanks

Old 06-13-2006, 03:42 AM
jman76

See what i cant get is why i am only getting 10 to 12 mpg , (k and N ) and fixing to purchase 50 series flowmaster! Does anyone know if i have a 3.55 rear or a 3.90 rearend 2x4 2002 SLT. And yes it is dissapointing the power the engine only makes i know it is capable of at least 280 hp

Quick Reply: 4.7L performance