3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wrong Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:16 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wrong Oil

ORIGINAL: Lateral-G

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

For real!! With Mobil 1 bulk at wally world going from $20-$25 or plain dino for $10-$15 why would anyone not change their own oil. This is assuming that you know how and have the ability to do so.
Well, maybe because of the ease and convienence of driving in somewhere and getting done quickly. Not to mention having to deal with disposing of the used oil or going to the parts store to get the oil, filter and other misc items. The you have to have all the tools, drain pans, funnels, rags, etc. and a place to do it. (ever change the oil in the winter, in the midwest without a garage? I have and it sucked big time)

I changed my oil for many years starting when I was a teenager. However, now that I am older, have a busy job, 4 kids (with another on the way), a home, family obligations, extra-curricualr activities, etc. finding the time to even change the oil is a non-existant proposition. If you can change your own oil that's great but for a great many people it's not an option. My time is worth money and I'm OK with paying a few extra dollars to get the oil changed so I can have the time I would have spent doing it on something else I enjoy.

just my nickel's worth.....

-G-

I completely understand and agree with you. Perhaps I should have worded it, If you want to change your oil and you have the ability/set-up for it, then there is no reason not to do it yourself.

I used to change the oil in all of my family's cars. One it was cheaper and two it was just as easy/fast for me to do it. Plus, I knew it was done right. There are many horror stories of oil change places, Jiffy Lube, Wally World, etc, that have cross threaded oil plugs, left oil out, etc and ruined engines. I've even seen a W-W employee drive a brand new conversion van onto a lift and dump it over on its side because he didn't have the right wheels fully on the lift (should have seen the owner!!). That is a hassle that I can eliminate by doing it myself. Now my mom and dad have thier oil changed for the exact same reasons you listed, unless I'm home to do it for them.

I also change the oil on my wife's car, a 2005.5 VW Jetta. Main reason is that only the dealership stocks oil filters for it, but they also charge almost $100 for an oil change and "inspection." I save almost $60 by doing it myself. Good thing is that it only has to be done at 5K, 10K, then every 10K after that. It can be hard to find the right oil though, Mobil 1 0w40.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Lateral-G
Professional

I completely understand and agree with you. Perhaps I should have worded it, If you want to change your oil and you have the ability/set-up for it, then there is no reason not to do it yourself.

I used to change the oil in all of my family's cars. One it was cheaper and two it was just as easy/fast for me to do it. Plus, I knew it was done right. There are many horror stories of oil change places, Jiffy Lube, Wally World, etc, that have cross threaded oil plugs, left oil out, etc and ruined engines. I've even seen a W-W employee drive a brand new conversion van onto a lift and dump it over on its side because he didn't have the right wheels fully on the lift (should have seen the owner!!). That is a hassle that I can eliminate by doing it myself. Now my mom and dad have thier oil changed for the exact same reasons you listed, unless I'm home to do it for them.

I also change the oil on my wife's car, a 2005.5 VW Jetta. Main reason is that only the dealership stocks oil filters for it, but they also charge almost $100 for an oil change and "inspection." I save almost $60 by doing it myself. Good thing is that it only has to be done at 5K, 10K, then every 10K after that. It can be hard to find the right oil though, Mobil 1 0w40.

I agree with you there Osteo. I changed the oil all the time on mom and dad's cars when I was living at home. I too, have heard horror stories about oil change places. I usually stick with one and go there on a cinsisten basis. Plus i watch them throughout the entire process. i may **** them off but so what. it's my car and I have every right to see what they do. So far there are no complaints from me on the service I get. With my new cars I get free oil changes from the dealer. Those are nice but they still can be a hassle since you have to schedule them and wait longer than the local VIOC.

-G-

Old 05-19-2006, 10:43 PM
MY D8ONA

Well I have an update. I went to the dealer this afternoon because I just had to have the answers.
1. They did put in 5w30. Cheaper to buy in bulk.
2. I am convinced that I am OK with 5w30 this time and maybe even through the summer in FLA.
3. The "service" manager was an *******.
4. The operations manager understood my concern and explained everything to my satisfaction.
5. My next oil change will be on the house 5w20 or 5w30 which ever I choose.
6. The "service" manager was an *******.

They told me that the recommended oil weight is the best overall for the entire country. My situation living in florida could allow for a slightly heavier oil because of the constant heat in the summer. If I were back up in Ohio 5w30 would not be as appropriate, especially in the winter. 5w20 or 5w30 every 3000 miles really would not harm the motor. The key being the every 3000.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:36 AM
sspp
Professional

ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

OK, an even better question.

Why are you paying someone else to change your oil?
For real!! With Mobil 1 bulk at wally world going from $20-$25 or plain dino for $10-$15 why would anyone not change their own oil. This is assuming that you know how and have the ability to do so.

I would assume that it would fall under freedom of choice. The same freedom that I (or anyone else) exercised when they bought a Dodge instead of a Chevy or Ford. Simply put, if I can afford to have someone else do it, it is my choice. Period. Even if I am capable and have the means I simply may not feel like doing it. However, I am very specific about any work that is done and materials/oil used beforehand.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:11 AM
arrowman
Professional

I'd gladly spend $5 over retail for the fluid to do it myself and know it's done right than to trust some hacks that can't spell their name without errors.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:05 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

ORIGINAL: arrowman

I'd gladly spend $5 over retail for the fluid to do it myself and know it's done right than to trust some hacks that can't spell their name without errors.
I agree, I dont agree with a couple of the people on here. I dont care if you have the money to get it done, If you can afford a brand new truck, I hope you can afford $30.00 to get the oil changed! lol.. And if you dont have a half hour to change the oil yourself, that's a very unhealthy life you're living. Just a thought, slow down a little, life isn't a race. If you want things done right, you must do them yourself.

Quick Reply: Wrong Oil