3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi LPG mods, need photo of manifold URGENT

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:02 PM
itsmejto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi LPG mods, need photo of manifold URGENT

Hi guys, I'm new to your forum, happy to be here ...
I find I need a little help in the shape of a couple of good photos of the underside of a 2003 Hemi intake manifold.
I'm adding LPG-propane, not as a performance tweek, but to actually run the engine. This is a vapor injection system and uses individual injectors like the galoline system. I need to see where to drill the manifold on each port to insert a 1/4" round threaded coupling for the propane injectors and don't want to remove the manifold unless I really have to.
I'm sure someone with a digital camera could take a few close up photos of the underbelly of the manifold and if possible of the inlet ports of the heads too so I'm not working blind.
PLEASE HELP ME, it's all apart in my shop and was hoping to get it done this w/e.

itsmejto@nc.rr.com

photos of completed propane (lpg) conversion
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ofP1010307.jpg

Old 05-19-2006, 06:44 PM
abarmby
Champion
Default RE: Hemi LPG mods, need photo of manifold URGENT

Hope this helps you.
The rubber connecting pipe comes from the individual LPG solenoid valves and is tapped into the appropriate cylinder intake runner.
Sorry I can't give you a pic of the underside of the intake. The system is curently in use so that's not possible.
Magnify the thumbnails to get text info.
Do a search on here for other LPG pics of my install and info.
Al.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24099/0D1895DD08454C0F8B63D73DA528B071.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24099/542929E27E984E339373AE7A6A144615.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2006, 07:04 PM
20brewcity02
Professional

does someone have a link to where i can learn more about this at?

Old 05-20-2006, 04:37 AM
abarmby
Champion

Here you go http://www.prins-lpg.com/en/prins/

My system is the VSI Multipoint sequential system.
Works very well.
Al.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:54 PM
20brewcity02
Professional

do you guys have any pictures of your installs? we use a lot of lpg in the trucks at my work and always wondered what it would take to do in my ram 4.7. does it hurt the performance of your truck? and what else did you have to change to run the truck fully on lpg? thanks for you time.

adam

Old 05-20-2006, 09:19 PM
itsmejto
Amateur

Firstly you might want to consider the cost, for a v8 here in the USA it will cost you close to 3k just for the parts. I got mine from the UK and used a bully dog tank (modified to liquid supply) You will also have to have it certified for use on the road and have an inspection for emisions (should fly that one) you would do better finding a certified instaler in your area, if one exists. I couldn't find any here in NC.
Mine was a pig to wire up, the idiots that made the wiring harness used their own numbers from 1 to 8 for the injector wires and guess what, they wern't numbered like the typical v8 cylinder layout 1357 along one side and 2468 on the other. I had to rewire the harness to make it work, so I won't recomend the site I got mine from though it was made by Voltran in Turkey I think. Pretty ugly injector setup too. I havn't worked out how to add a photo to this message yet.[IMG][/IMG]
http://www.voltranlpg.com/

Old 05-21-2006, 07:41 AM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: 20brewcity02

do you guys have any pictures of your installs? we use a lot of lpg in the trucks at my work and always wondered what it would take to do in my ram 4.7. does it hurt the performance of your truck? and what else did you have to change to run the truck fully on lpg? thanks for you time.

adam
Adam.
Do a search on LPG on this forum.
Your will find a lot of pictures and posts I've made about my installation.
I have over 5000 miles on my system now without a problem. I for one would highly recomend one of these systems especially now my American cousins are feeling the bite of a $3 plus gallon.[:@]
Al.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:34 PM
itsmejto
Amateur

Al, What tank did you use on your system ? I'm using a new bullydog tank but I believe it uses a vapor outlet from the solenoid. I need liquid to feed my regulator/vaporizer and don't know how to find out how to rurn the vapor tube inside from poking up to poking down so it picks up liwuid instead, or even if the solenoid valve will work with liquid, any comments appreciated. Also, I'm ready to interconnect the signal wires to the gasoline injector lines now and can't find a reliable source of a wiring schematic for the hemi 5.7 indicationg which is pos/neg on the original wireing to the injectors. From what I can find it seems all injectors are fed from a + common rail, one to each injector but common to them all and the coil switching is done by the ecu with a negative pulse. I need to tap into that negative pulse line but don't know which color to use. I don't want to reconnect the battery at this pint as I have stuff unpluged everyehere.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:39 PM
abarmby
Champion

I used two tanks.
I didn't want a huge tank of 240 liters in the bed of my truck, so my installer used two 70 liter tanks and put them where the spare tyre goes.
I'm sorry, but I can't help you any further, as I had to chose a government certified installer to complete my LPG install.
It is now illegal to do it yourself here in the UK, so apart from approving what type of kit to use and where to install the tanks and other kit etc, I didn't have much input into the installation.
My installer did say that the wiring diagram was and is, a bit of a nightmare and didn't match up to the diagrams both in the Dodge manual and the LPG kit guides.
He spent many hours trying to sort it all out.
I think you really need to look at this very carefully and decide if you want to continue?
A properly installed system is esential as it can be dangerous, that's why I paid around £2500 to get it done.
Sorry I can't be any more help.
Al.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:06 PM
itsmejto
Amateur

Apart from the tank issue I too had problems with the wiring diagrams.
The typical v8 engine uses even cyls on one bank and odds on the other, well whoever did the wiring loom never heard of this.
They were split into two sets of 4 ... good start huh ...
then they numbered them 1234 and 5678 but wired them into two sets of four like that ...... gets better .... that was the injector plugs for the lpg. then the "interface wires" to connect in series with the existing petrol injectors were also numbered 12345678 , but not the same 12345678 as the injector numbers or the cylinder placement, nightmare, you said it ... I eventually worked it out, but for a novice it would be impossible. even for me, it gave me a headache and I've been doing electronic/electrical work for 50 years now.
I guess i'll just remove the liquid bung from the tank and see if it has a tube poking down.
Thanks for the help Al.

Quick Reply: Hemi LPG mods, need photo of manifold URGENT