3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster Cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Baycraft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Cat-back

Im thinking about putting a Flowmaster Cat-back system on my 2004 Ram--Im sure plenty of you guys have done this. How loud are the flowmasters in comparison to other brands? Performance gain? Any torque loss?
I have to go with the Cat-back due to where I live--which sucks, but its better then the tickets!!!

Thanks ahead of time for the input everyone!!!

Old 05-24-2006, 05:18 PM
MR YOON
Default RE: Flowmaster Cat-back

ORIGINAL: Baycraft

Im thinking about putting a Flowmaster Cat-back system on my 2004 Ram--Im sure plenty of you guys have done this. How loud are the flowmasters in comparison to other brands? Performance gain? Any torque loss?
I have to go with the Cat-back due to where I live--which sucks, but its better then the tickets!!!

Thanks ahead of time for the input everyone!!!
I would rather you go with a simple muffler swap rather than wasting the money on a whole catback. the stock pipes are full 3inch mandrel bent pipes. Just swap out mufflers. 50 series HD is hemi specific but quieter than the 50 series delta flow. I've heard both before so i know. if you want louder of course there is the option of the 40series.
I do like flowmasters sound but I feel that i gained a little bit more performance with my magnaflow flow plus i like smoother exhaust tone it has to offer.

i don't think swapping mufflers or getting a catback makes a difference according to the law.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:36 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MR YOON
i don't think swapping mufflers or getting a catback makes a difference according to the law.

As long as you don't tamper with the cats and you don't break any sound rules you'll be good to go. Most places don't have exhaust SPL or dB restrictions. I know Cali does, but most cops don't have the correct equipment to test when pulled over.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Rizzo20
Rookie

I have a Flowmaster -17397 kit that uses a 50 series H.D. muffler. You have the option of running the tips straight out the back or to 45 deg them out just behind the rear tire on both sides. I've heard the 50 series HD isnt as loud as the 40 series and other 50 series as well. At first when I heard mine I thought it was too loud, after a friend of mine did a few drive by's with it, I realized it was perfect. It's so hard to judge what people think are too loud or not loud enough. I love my system and have no regrets, came with some awesome stainless tips that have "Flowmaster" embedded on the ends.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:01 PM
MR YOON

ORIGINAL: Rizzo20

I have a Flowmaster -17397 kit that uses a 50 series H.D. muffler. You have the option of running the tips straight out the back or to 45 deg them out just behind the rear tire on both sides. I've heard the 50 series HD isnt as loud as the 40 series and other 50 series as well. At first when I heard mine I thought it was too loud, after a friend of mine did a few drive by's with it, I realized it was perfect. It's so hard to judge what people think are too loud or not loud enough. I love my system and have no regrets, came with some awesome stainless tips that have "Flowmaster" embedded the ends.
nice a soundclip would be nice..
maybe i'll post a video of me with my cutout open and burnout.. lol

Old 05-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Rizzo20
Rookie

nice a soundclip would be nice..
I have no way of recording it yet, but I have plans to soon. It pretty much sounds like the clip on the Flowmaster site found here It really doesn't do it justice but it'll give you a good idea what to expect. BTW I would love to see a clip of that burnout!

Old 05-24-2006, 11:06 PM
MR YOON

here you go.
http://media.putfile.com/Kappa-Burnout63

Old 05-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Rizzo20
Rookie

[sm=gears.gif]
That was pretty sweet, and a fine looking RAM you have there too.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:39 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

Wow, this has never been asked before.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 AM
MR YOON

ORIGINAL: Rizzo20

[sm=gears.gif]
That was pretty sweet, and a fine looking RAM you have there too.
haha like that?

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Cat-back