3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Diagnostic Guide
Print Wikipost

transmission flush, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 05:25 PM
T Man
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission flush, is it worth it?

I was going to have my dealer do a transmission service, which of course includes dropping the pan and changing the fluid and filters. He suggested that they do a transmission flush, which he described as hooking up some machine and flushing out all of the fluid from the transmission. They want $300 to do this, is it worth it?

Old 05-24-2006, 05:32 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: transmission flush, is it worth it?

Is the service worth it, I think so. Are they raping you with the price, definitely. Go find another shop. My dealer only charges like $130-$150 for the service. Make sure they change the filters, too. Most places just swap out the fluid and don't bother with the filters.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:22 PM
MR YOON

just a friendly reminder. most tranny flushes don't include pulling existing fluid from the torque converter.
btw it should be in the $100-$150 range... how many miles do you have on your truck and do you haul or tow?

Old 05-24-2006, 11:00 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MR YOON

just a friendly reminder. most tranny flushes don't include pulling existing fluid from the torque converter.
btw it should be in the $100-$150 range... how many miles do you have on your truck and do you haul or tow?
Many of the power flushes do that exact thing. It hooks up to the existing plumbing and takes the old fluid out while it puts the new fluid in. Pretty cool process. Gotta watch though as most places don't drop the pan anymore.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:49 PM
mazz
Veteran

There are two filters in the transmission. One is a sump filter the other a spin-on filter. The spin-on filter has a check valve, so it cannot be backflushed. Think about the process. They push fluid through the transmission in the opposite direction of its normal flow. They push dirt through the sump filter, don't do anything with the spin-on filter, and they leave all that sludge buildup in the pan. Aside from that, if the pressure of their system runs up a bit too high, there's a risk of shearing a seal within the transmission.

The local dealer wanted $195 for a flush. I asked them if they would drop the pan and change the filters. No, they would not do that. When I pushed the issue, they said it would cost me another $125 to $150. So, I did it myself and saved a bundle.

I just finished changing the fluid in my transmission a few weeks ago. Dropped the pan, changed the filters, and put all fresh fluid in. Also drained the torque converter. It's a messy process, but not that difficult.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:26 AM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: mazz

There are two filters in the transmission. One is a sump filter the other a spin-on filter. The spin-on filter has a check valve, so it cannot be backflushed. Think about the process. They push fluid through the transmission in the opposite direction of its normal flow. They push dirt through the sump filter, don't do anything with the spin-on filter, and they leave all that sludge buildup in the pan. Aside from that, if the pressure of their system runs up a bit too high, there's a risk of shearing a seal within the transmission.

The local dealer wanted $195 for a flush. I asked them if they would drop the pan and change the filters. No, they would not do that. When I pushed the issue, they said it would cost me another $125 to $150. So, I did it myself and saved a bundle.

I just finished changing the fluid in my transmission a few weeks ago. Dropped the pan, changed the filters, and put all fresh fluid in. Also drained the torque converter. It's a messy process, but not that difficult.
How did you flush the converter?
Did you hire a machine or something?
I wish to do this to my 03 Hemi soon.
Any help on the flush would be and is appreciated.
Al.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:08 PM
T Man
Rookie

ORIGINAL: MR YOON

I have 40,000 miles on the truck, and yes I tow a camper. I just got the truck a couple of months ago and to my knowledge it has never had a fluid change in the transmission.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:29 PM
MR YOON

heh, then i'd recommend you do a flush.. total amount of 12 quarts for a full flush. 5 quarts if you don't flush the torque converter

Old 05-25-2006, 04:58 PM
T Man
Rookie

I double checked with my dealer and for $329 they flush the system (they said they use 14 quarts of fluid instead of just 8 doing a regular service,) as well as drop the pan and change both filters. $228 to just drop the pan and change the 8 quarts and the two filters. They also told me the spin on filter doesn't need to be changed as often as the sump. I may just do a regular service myself.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
DakaDan
Professional

I am also looking to flush my tranny. Should I stick with OEM dodge trans fluid or is aftermarket safe. Car manual says to only use dodge fluid, go fiqure.

Quick Reply: transmission flush, is it worth it?