3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MP3 Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:54 PM
RedSS454
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 Wiring

Anyone know if there is a wire in the back of the radio that I could hook up an MP3 player too? Like a female on the radio side, and can get a male plug to fit into it?

Chris

Old 05-30-2006, 09:08 PM
TheRedMonkey
Professional
Default RE: MP3 Wiring

Not possible.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
lukeca
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of radio do you have? There are auxillary input adapters available for the radios in our trucks, but not if you have the navigation or in dash cd changer. For the regular radio with cd changer controls though, these devices plug into the 10pin connector where the external cd changer would connect to. It actually allows you to control some things of the ipod through your radio.

This is a link to the device by P.I.E., other people do make these too, PIE makes good stuff though,
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry02pcpod.html

I use the auxillary input adapter by pie, which simply gives the radio an aux input with the red and white rca jacks, this ipod one takes it a step further with the ipod dock connector, so it charges it and everything.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:13 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm looking at the same thing. Monster cable has a system called icruze which allows you to play mp3 through your cd player. I think it costs about $50 or so and with that I'm thinking "why not pay another $50 and get a upgraded head unit that is designed for mp3?"
I've talked to tech support at numerous car electronics shops and all say there's no way to just splice wires for this, you need an adapter.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:52 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: jrsick

I'm looking at the same thing. Monster cable has a system called icruze which allows you to play mp3 through your cd player. I think it costs about $50 or so and with that I'm thinking "why not pay another $50 and get a upgraded head unit that is designed for mp3?"
I've talked to tech support at numerous car electronics shops and all say there's no way to just splice wires for this, you need an adapter.

You can jimmy rig just about anything, but having said that, there is no way to just hook it up via two wires and it works completely. You would need an adapter to fully utilize the iPod or various mp3 players full features. In all honesty, hooking up mp3 players to a radio is just a waste of time. Yeah, mp3 players are great to have, but the fact is...it brings unnecessary attention to your car. It's easier to buy a mp3 playing head unit then it is to deal with the hassle of trying to make mp3 players work in your car/truck.

That being said, alot of new vehicles are coming with this option already installed/available for purchase from dealer.....so that is making it alot better for customers options...

Old 06-01-2006, 03:22 PM
TheRedMonkey
Professional

Dodge makes one for the factory deck that sells for about 140 or so. The icruze is trash. Most of the adapters require small playlists since the radios do not have enough memory onboard to process a large playlist, you will have to check the manufacturer for the full details.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:07 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

thanks for the info on icruze, I'll cross it off the list.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
TheRedMonkey
Professional

For some background I did a ton of research and I work IT during the day and at Best Buy on the weekends as part of geek squad so its not all out of my ****. The icruize from the installers said it was not very good and its costly right now. I can't get any info really on the dodge one but its not that expensive. Personally I have been using an FM modulator and powering unit and its ok, just ok but at least I can hit random on all the music. I don't think the icruize has been updated yet so I am sure its still junk. The only good interfaces are with new head units over the stock.

Quick Reply: MP3 Wiring