3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Belt Alert?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Belt Alert?????

ORIGINAL: arrowman

I'm sorry if my comments offend, BUT.....

There are some of us that actually USE A TRUCK AS A TRUCK.

For example, if I'm out on the property replacing the insulators on the electric fence, hopping out every 20' on private property, I don't need that damned "DING DING DING DING DING" going off the whole time....

If I'm positioning the trailer to launch my boat, I don't need that "DING DING DING DING DING DING DING" going off...

If I'm creeping down a street in "the badlands" trying to vin a dozen cars while on the job at 2 AM, that "DING DING DING DING DING DING DING" could get me shot.

I disable it.... If I could, I'd disable the warning lamp too!!! (It interferes with night vision)

That being said, unless I'm doing one of the activities mentioned above, I'm wearing that belt... Even if it's to drive 400' around the corner for some smokes.... I'm a long-time believer in seatbelts....

Folks (and manufacturers!!!) need to realize there are times/places/activities/occupations where the touchy-feely warning bells and lights can become at least a nuisance, and at worst, a LIABILITY.

I wish there was a program option to turn the overhead lights off when a door is open, that would be really sweet in my line of work..
Yeah I know what you mean about warnings and signage and labels on everything.
It boarders on insulting our intelligence................
I know, I know, most of it if not all, is to stop people sueing manufacturers etc.
Claim culture has ruined our society.
Wow, I'll get off my soap box.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 AM
sumncguy
Veteran

You know I worked with guys for ten years who where firemen in West Sayville, Islip and Bayshore back on Long Island and I have a few friends here in NC that are firemen for Durham. Most have made the comment at one time or the other that if they had to make a determination about whether seat belts helped or hurt. They would say that the odds are 50 / 50 and that most successes are related to child saftety.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Ramairhemi

I took off my alarm long time ago.... I always use my seat belt( and I mean always) I just hate that ding ding ding... someties you're doing things where the seatbelt gets in the way and dont need to wear it such as speeds under 5mph.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 AM
mckibbenmd

The only accident in which I had any type of injury was in a Ply. Champ, riding shotgun, going less than 10mph. We were cruising downtown and I thought I would be cool like everyone else and took the belt off. We ended up rear-ending a car that stopped unexpectedly and I ate windshield, putting a nice spider web in the glass and giving me a concussion. Lesson learned.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:23 AM
sweebs

The odds of an accident, logically, are corelated to where one does most of one's driving - usually close to home, not say 100 miles away from home,,, and coming from a guy who always wears his belt BUT took my belt off as I approached my house (about 50ft or less away) WHEN I was hit head on, and sent flying into the windshield (pre air bag car) I would highly encourage everyone under normal driving situations, to just where your belt. And who wants to have the air bag go off at point blank range to the face?

Old 06-26-2006, 01:43 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

below >>===>

Old 06-26-2006, 01:45 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

You know I worked with guys for ten years who where firemen in West Sayville, Islip and Bayshore back on Long Island and I have a few friends here in NC that are firemen for Durham. Most have made the comment at one time or the other that if they had to make a determination about whether seat belts helped or hurt. They would say that the odds are 50 / 50 and that most successes are related to child saftety.

This is why they are firemen, not cops. How many firemen actually INVESTIGATED a crash? none.....

Now adays the seatbelt is wired into the aribag module. The signal (buckled or unbuckled) determines exactly when the airbag and seatbelt pretensioners are to deploy. Not weaing the belt could cause the driver to impale the steering wheel at a relatively low change in velocity (delta V).

I do agree that wearing your belt is kind of stupid is you are out on the ranch stretching fence wire. BUT if you are just going to the store, WEAR IT, I still need advise on gettin my Ram souped up!

Old 06-26-2006, 09:47 PM
QUADCABHEMI
Professional

I wear mine all the time but just moving the truck around, loading/unloading, hooking up trailers it SUCKS to have that thing constantly going off. Our delivery truck (Ford Ranger) would do it but if you hooked the belt and then unhooked it it would on come back on until you shut the key back off. Had the truck last Tuesday shut it off this morning. But by all means wear your belt!

Old 07-09-2006, 09:49 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

I found the annoying buzzer under the dash and cut the wire to it on my Ford Ranger. Then I could listen to the radio with the doors open.
I lost the key in ignition, and headlight on warnings though.

{I always wear a seatbelt while driving}

Quick Reply: Belt Alert?????