3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips on 87 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:56 AM
HemiMan4451
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips on 87 octane?

Is it worth it to get the Superchips tuner if youre going to run 87 octane? Will there be any difference? What all does it do?

Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 AM
03SPRAYINHEMI
Default RE: Superchips on 87 octane?

I believe if u tune for 87, the superchip just help with fuel economy mostly....tune with 93 for performance.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:57 AM
SiZzOuRcE

87 tune gives best performance results with 89 octane fuel.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:24 PM
boyd98
Veteran

Here is an email that I sent superchips and their response -

I am considering purchasing your programmer for my Dodge Ram 05 QC 2WD Hemi.

My concerns are this -

I know little about this subject and throwing 600$ at something that i can't phyically see or test, makes me self leary. I also do not want to have to fill up with high octane fuel; too expensive.

Are the gains worth it if I don't use the high octane fuel? Will I still be able to tell a difference.

How easy is your 30 day guarantee? Is there a restocking fee - if not it sounds too good to be true.

Is there a link to a user manually so i can get familar with the product, so I know I could manage using it.

Is this product intented for the average joe, or is tis something that only the die-hards who want to squeeze every bit of performance out of their vehicle. I guess what I am asking is once i install this product will I be like OMG this ROCKS! or will it be slight gains hardly noticeable, but are there.

Thanks in advance - and I appreciate your help - there is a lot of positive feedback out there on your product, but i am only concerned because i have a limited budget; and there are so many mods to do

Their response -

Boyd,

In order to build HP and TQ in your vehicle we have to increase timing, spark, and fuel pressure which requires the need for High octane fuel to be added to keep the vehicle from knocking and pinging due to those increases.

We do not have a program that can increase HP and TQ with 87 octane fuel.

What you need to do a to find out more about the 30 day money back guarantee is to use this link to find a dealer in your area where they can give you the details about that: http://superchips.idealerquik.com/custinfo.asp . Just type in your phone number at the bottom and hit enter to get a dealer list.

We require our dealers to give you back your money or credit towards something else in their ship. That decision is theirs and we do not have any control over which one they choose to give you. That is why you will need to inquire with the dealer you choose to purchase from before you do indeed buy the tuner.

Here also is a link to a downloadable owner’s manual: http://www.superchips.com/installation.phtml

Our products are made for anyone to use. You do not have to have a degree in astro physics to use our product.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:46 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

If you set it to the 87 octane your truck will get improved gas mileage and will run alot smoother and more cleanly with small gains in horse power and torque (if you read through all of the information on thier site you would see the 6pg+/- list on what each of the 3 does for your truck) and if you get in the mood for a race or just wanna feel the full power and performance just reprogram the thing and fill up with 91. Its a good investment no matter what way you look at it

Old 06-15-2006, 01:33 PM
20brewcity02
Professional

honestly, i felt more of a gain on the 87 octane tune... when i stepped on it, i felt the torque, when i reprogrammed with the 91 oct. and stepped on it, it didnt feel much different than stock. the hwy you feel a slight increase in passing power. the towing perf didnt feel much different than the regular performance. this is on an 02 4.7 though which is the same tuner as the earlier hemi's from what i gather. either way you definately should have better flowing intake and exhaust system to take full advantage of the gains.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:00 PM
alienyzf
Professional

87 program gives better throttle responce and makes truck shift better. Its changes your truck into a new animal. Stipper performance has the cheapest price on new ones. I bought mine used. I have yet to regret it. Quite whinning and do it already!

Old 06-16-2006, 07:06 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

how much do they run used?

Old 06-16-2006, 08:35 PM
nos4fuel
Veteran

ORIGINAL: truckin151

i too would like to know

Old 06-17-2006, 10:58 AM
alienyzf
Professional

As cheap as you can find them. I got mine for $325 shipped, but it was used once. A friend of mine got it for $260. Just make sure they put the stock program back into their truck before you buy it. Look in the classifieds on dodge forum, hemi truck club, or on ebay. I was skeptical until I borrowed my buddies for a week. It was all over then.

ORIGINAL: nos4fuel

ORIGINAL: truckin151

i too would like to know

Quick Reply: Superchips on 87 octane?