3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 1500 "newbie" brake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 03:23 PM
LogJam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 1500 "newbie" brake question

New member greetings!!!
Heres's my deal. Replacing four wheel disc warped rotors on a 03 5.7 4x4 quad . Going to try replacing them with bendix performance rotors and titani?? pads. Total price $288.00. Never did a brake job before and got a couple questions. Any good illustrated instructions on the intranet anyone knows of? What tools do I need(have a compressor, but no tools for it yet, what would I need)? How long should I dedicate for the job. Also ordered the Haynes manual delivered with the parts and brake cleaner for the new rotors as recommended. Starting to enjoy working on my trucks more these days and saving the money feed it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And again, Nice to meet everyone.

LogJam.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 03 1500 "newbie" brake question

Welcome to the forum.
The factory service manual for your truck is available as a free download here on the site.
Please visit the vendor list---I would link you, but can't remember who. Probably the biggest problem you'll have is breaking the wheels and rotors free initially. After that---piece of cake. Just make sure you clean the rotors right after you remove them from the box, and wipe them down again before you slip the calipers with the new pads in the back on. You should also find a LARGE (12") C-clamp to compress the calipers before you unbolt them to remove the old pads. Also, buy a can of brake grease for the caliper pins to lubricate them after they are cleaned and before you re-insert them to bolt down the calipers. Some soft safety wire (long tie wraps work too) is handy to tie up the calipers to a suspension component so they don't hang by the hose. These are simple things that make the job go a lot easier, but you rarely get told about. If you have a can of Kroil rust buster around, spray the hubs now, and a couple of times before you start the job, it should make the wheel and rotor removal go a little easier. Beyond this it pretty staight forward.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:03 PM
LogJam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 03 1500 "newbie" brake question

Thanks for the tips. I got to the rears and can't get the rototrs off. I got a brake spoon but not to sure how to use it. Could not make that adjustment make the rotor stick?

Thanks again

LogJam

Quick Reply: 03 1500 "newbie" brake question