3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Coldness

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:24 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AC Coldness

Just last Friday I had a thermocouple in my truck and decided to check the AC temp. I always leave the truck on 'Recirc' (MAX). The temp coming from the center dash vents was 42°F-44°F. For me, in Michigan with 80° to 90° temps in the summer, this is adequate. Just my $.02

Old 06-29-2006, 12:41 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

It also has to do with the new type of freon thats being used in the newer vehicles as well. In my old 76' with the old $40 a can freon in it you could litteraly see your breath in the damn thing at 1pm in the middle of june in Arizona! it was flippin COLD!!!! It has been by far the coldest truck Ive been in. My 05' Ram isnt that bad and cools off quickly so Im happy with it but it still doesnt compare to that old chevy though in the A/C department. But seriously if one side is colder than the other or both side are warm then I would definately have someone be it the dealer or an A/C shop check the condencer cause its probably freezing and un freezing (litteraly) giving you warmer air blowing out.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:22 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HoustonHEMI

First off it doesn't matter what year truck you people have. The problem is simple, it's a Dodge. I know some of you don't like to hear that but it's true.

I like Dodge as much as the rest of you but face it, all makers have their weaknesses and for Dodge it's definitely the a/c.

I traded a 2004 Dodge Ram for my 06 Dodge Ram. Purchased both trucks new. Bottom line, both trucks = air conditioner's suck!

My Chevy 3/4 ton X-tra cab and Ford's had great a/c's. The coldest was by far my Ford Super Crew Cab 4X4, that thing would give you frost bite!

Sorry folks but this is one area that Dodge could improve and take it from me, I know what I'm talking about. I live in the air condition capital of the world, Houston Texas. It's a rain forest here 10 months a year...LOL!

H.H.[:-]
[sm=youreright.gif]

Old 07-19-2006, 02:08 AM
silverbullet06

I took my truck to dealer #3 for the same faulty air conditioning problem (4 times in two months). Now the fan blows but no air comes out of the vents on any selector position.

I demanded a conference call with D.Chrysler warranty department when the truck was checked out. They looked at me like I was crazy, so... I called D.Chrysler and asked to speak to a manager or supv. After 5 minutes on hold they said they were all in meetings and would return my call.... well, it never happened.

Towards the end of the day I got a call from the dealer and they said the Recirc. door came apart!! Guess what? There is a nationwide back order for the part. Sounds fishy. Can you spell recall? I told the dealer.

I work for a large corporation that is an OEM parts supplier to the major auto manufacturers, so I know how the system works. Auto manufacturers DO NOT want quality problems to go public!! It can start a very expensive recall program.

2006 Mega Cab 1500, 4X4, Hemi

Old 07-19-2006, 02:47 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

My AC blows 41 degrees F.. That's about as cool as A/C gets.. Dont know of any fault in my system. Works great, and my quad cab is cooled off by the time I get to the end of my street. Way better than my mustang GT's A/C..

Old 07-19-2006, 02:55 AM
raidermike67
Veteran

Recalls are only on safety related issues usually prompted by NHTSA. Manufacturers may send bulletins to dealers alerting them of reoccuring problems and how to deal with them.

My Ram only has 1,000 miles and the only time it takes a while to cool down is if it's been baking in the sun, if I start my AC before I pull out of the garage I turn it from hi to med/low within a few minutes. Keeping a window visor up when parked in the sun helps too. We've been in the 100's all week and I haven't noticed any problems with a/c temps.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:33 AM
warp6

40 degrees colder than outside air

Old 07-19-2006, 07:21 AM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: silverbullet06

I took my truck to dealer #3 for the same faulty air conditioning problem (4 times in two months). Now the fan blows but no air comes out of the vents on any selector position.

I demanded a conference call with D.Chrysler warranty department when the truck was checked out. They looked at me like I was crazy, so... I called D.Chrysler and asked to speak to a manager or supv. After 5 minutes on hold they said they were all in meetings and would return my call.... well, it never happened.

Towards the end of the day I got a call from the dealer and they said the Recirc. door came apart!! Guess what? There is a nationwide back order for the part. Sounds fishy. Can you spell recall? I told the dealer.

I work for a large corporation that is an OEM parts supplier to the major auto manufacturers, so I know how the system works. Auto manufacturers DO NOT want quality problems to go public!! It can start a very expensive recall program.

2006 Mega Cab 1500, 4X4, Hemi
Off topic ....................but maybe we should get the Dodge owning public, to start something about the LSD C Clip issues.......[:@]
Maybe the NHTSA could get a hold of that, for us loooong suffering Dodge 9.25 rear end owners raidermike67.[sm=confused06.gif]
The LSD C Clip issue is DEFINATELY a serious safety issue. It's a bomb waiting to go off in these rear ends [sm=bomb.gif]
Sorry bout' the rant, just my 2p worth on what I think of manufacturers issuing recalls.
Al.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
speeddemon145
Professional

My 04 1500 is not that cold in city driving but on the hiway it will freez you out of the truck.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:40 PM
PyRoHAvoC
Professional

while we're on the subject ... do our trucks have an in cabin filter for the air?

Quick Reply: AC Coldness