3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Coldness

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:25 PM
gsjacksontum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Coldness

I'm curious. We have a 2006 1500 Megacab with just barely 2000 miles on it. I would have thought that the AC coming out would just be blowing me away - in both how cold it should be and the strength (for a lack of a better word). Our 1999 Saturn pushes out colder air with more force then my new truck.

My husband says it is a larger cab to cool off. That, I understand. But the air coming out is no where near as cold as the Saturn. Usually, on a trip, we usually end up turning the AC down because we've gotten too cold. this has never happened. We've taken several longer trips in the truck.

Is this typical? Is this something that can be adjusted?

The Jackson's

Old 06-28-2006, 07:41 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Default RE: AC Coldness

Ive heard of this happening in an 04' 2500, you should check the freon and make sure its under the right pressure and there's enough in it, also have them check the condencer(?) to see if its freezing on you. The one I encountered on the 2500 was freezing and unfreezing and this was just like 2 weeks ago here in AZ. Also this is just a "duh" question but I thought the same thing was happening with my 05' 1500 when I first bought it but after playing with the ac controls inside the cab that day I noticed that it there was only 2 settings that actually recirculated the air and made it blow colder and harder that was made for the A/C than with the ones that dont recirculate the air. So check that too..... otherwise take it in and have it checked its gotta be under warranty still.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Make sure it is on recirc and it should blow nice and cold. I've noticed on mine that it likes to be about 1000+rpms for it to really cool. I guess the compresser is happier above that. On long trips I usually end up turning the temp up as it cools too well and I like it COLD, but it does take a while.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:41 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC condensors typically can only drop the temp across the coil around 18-22 degrees. So;

If your cooling the cab air only, not the outside air, the cooler air will be 20 degrees cooler and cooling down the cab air. As the cab air get cooler, the ac air gets cooler.

Like was said, make sure you have it recirculating inside air, not constantly trying to cool the hot outside air.

Put a thermometer right on the output of the vent. It should be at least 20 degrees colder than the inside of the cab.

Keep your windows closed too, otherwise you are letting in hot/humid air and defeating the purpose.

Yes, the area is much larger than a little car, so it takes much longer.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM
NYPANAMA
Rookie

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram QC 1500, and i know the feeling, only with mine the air is a lot colder on the drivers side, than it is on the passenger side. And it takes a while for it to really cool the inside of the cab, don't know why, but it does.
And with a new truck, why should you have to have them check various parts of the AC system. The TRUCK IS BRAND NEW.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 PM
hemiram05

I think thats the way it is on these trucks, I have a 03 reg. cab with 4.7 and it blows colder than my 05 hemi quad cab, of course its a larger cab to cool down but you can feel a big diffrence by putting your hand by the vents, not shure but they might be diffrent compressor or condenser, my wifes 96 cougar a/c outperforms both by far, I love Rams but hate their a/c.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:41 AM
jager

yup, I already noticed the A/C and Im a brand new '06 2500 owner... Been driving fords forever, and everyone of my other trucks has had better air than this thing, but Im lovin' the HEMI![8D]

Old 06-29-2006, 01:46 AM
HoustonHEMI
Professional

First off it doesn't matter what year truck you people have. The problem is simple, it's a Dodge. I know some of you don't like to hear that but it's true.

I like Dodge as much as the rest of you but face it, all makers have their weaknesses and for Dodge it's definitely the a/c.

I traded a 2004 Dodge Ram for my 06 Dodge Ram. Purchased both trucks new. Bottom line, both trucks = air conditioner's suck!

My Chevy 3/4 ton X-tra cab and Ford's had great a/c's. The coldest was by far my Ford Super Crew Cab 4X4, that thing would give you frost bite!

Sorry folks but this is one area that Dodge could improve and take it from me, I know what I'm talking about. I live in the air condition capital of the world, Houston Texas. It's a rain forest here 10 months a year...LOL!

H.H.[:-]

Old 06-29-2006, 07:01 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran

I had wondered the same thing about my a/c. I am in AZ and it is 107 degrees and I was really hoping my a/c would have been a little cooler. I am taking my ram in to get a shock fixed (squeaking) and I am going to have them take a look at the a/c just in case.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:10 AM
abarmby
Champion

Yep, recirculate the air, there are two positions for the on the control for this, and keep it above 1000rpm.
There is a noticable difference when you do both of these things.
Al.

Quick Reply: AC Coldness