3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Respect

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:08 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Respect

I just got back from my vacation in Vegas over the weekend and I gotta say for all of you motor heads out there that love cars and trucks and like going fast you have to go try "The Drive" at the Sahara!!!!! For just $10 a person my girlfriend and I were able to take out a 2006 Corvette C6, a 2006 GTO, and a 2006 Turbo Charged Cadilac CTS on a performance test drive course with all the straight aways and hair pin turns you could ask for with NO SPEED LIMIT!!!!!!! And I was also able to take out a H2 on an off road course specifically designed for the hummer.

The night before we left my cusin also brought over his new 350z which I am completely unimpressed by. It has nothing as far as torque or horse power really. Not once was I thrown back in the seat. Its shifts were terrible. I honestly think my truck has more ***** than this thing. Now back to vegas......Im not to enthused about the Turbo Cady CTS it was a smooth ride but lacked adrenaline rush I was hoping for from a turbo charged vehicle. The handling was about par but over all definately not for me. The GTO was very quick and came stock with a nice loud exhaust and stuck you to the back of your seat. The handling was alright but couldnt take the turns on the course as fast as what I would've liked it to and wasn't as roomy as what I would've liked but with 400hp its kind of hard to talk bad about it. Now the C6 on the other hand has put EVERYTHING I have ever driven to shame. It has to be the nicest, quickest, best handling, quietest performance car I have ever driven. I have nothing bad to say about it. 0-80mph like it was nothing, I could take "S" turns on the track right at 55mph with no tire slip, stops on a dime it just has everything you could possibly want. It puts the Viper to shame in my opinion.

Now for the H2 which completely impressed me beyond anything I possibly could imagine. The off road course they had made strictly for the Hummer made me a fan. You start out with a Stock H2 and hop in and go straight to a 2' block to get up on the course and with a push of a button you can make it up it like it was nothing but a small curb! Next you go through a series of 60 degree (minimum) banks that litterally feels like you are driving on your side. At one point I swear I could have rolled down a window and touched the ground cause the thing was on its side so much. Then you go up this steep 60+ degree hill at a crawl (maybe 3-5mph) and go back down the same angle at the same speed and I swear the thing was gonna go and hit the front bumper on the ground but it didnt! Next you go through a bunch of logs and you can barely feel them as you go over them and then you go back out on the road and it handles beautifuly! Nothing like what a 4x4 moded to pass through that course should feel like. I am completely impressed by it.

Anyways I strongly suggest anyone who is over 21 go do this course whenever you get the chance. I could have spent alot more money and possibly my whole week there just driving all the different cars and trucks the had there........

Old 07-31-2006, 02:52 PM
BgBluRam
Captain
Default RE: New Respect

Definately sounds like a good time. I will be going to Vegas for a business meeting in about 4 months, I should stop by there and check it out!

Old 07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
onlyone
Rookie

I would love to drive the Vette. Sounds like you had a great time. As far as the H2 is concerned, try a real trail with a Wrangler Rubicon (even a regular wrangler)bone stock and it will make the H2 designers go back to the drawing board. I think it would be amazing to run the vette around a road course. You lucky devil you![sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-31-2006, 05:05 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I was just impressed by the stock H2's off road capabilities I would have never expected it to be able to do that. But yeah its a great place they have quite a few fast cars back there but man that Vette just makes me wanna go out and get one. Like I said I could deffinately have spent a day there just driving the cars around. And with $10 for 2 cars you can definately have some fun there with very little money......

Oh and just as a precaution they do take all your information down and drivers licence info cause basically if you wreck one it goes on your insurance which sucks but I guess its just a way for them to cover thier asses. Also before you can even fill out the forms for it you have to pass a breathalizer test so no drinking before you head over there.......

Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

That GTO is something else. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a Caviler then I noticed the 6.0 on the back. Talk about a sleeper car. It hit 100mph like nothing and got there VERY quickly. I was impressed enough I would have seriously considered buying one had I been sports car shopping......

Old 07-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Specialz232

eh the new gtos are POS!
sure they have a nice fancey engie insdie but the new mustang cobra can take it with out a problume, and it looks sooo ugly. Thoes who say its all about whats under the hood shut up, if your car looks like **** there no point in fixing ur engine up real nice. They should of given it a new frame, and new front head, just adding too air scoops in the 06 and 07 models doesnt do it. **** it looks like they took a camry and put a 6.0 engie, now dodge man the new changller thats somthing worth talking about but thats in a whole other topic so were not gonna get in to it. Even Chevy with the Camero SS did somthing differnt, but that car looks super ugly it sitll is differnt.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:08 AM
20brewcity02
Professional

wait, was the 350 auto?

Old 08-01-2006, 03:37 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: truckin151

It puts the Viper to shame in my opinion.
just out of curiousity... exactly how many Vipers have you driven to make this comparison?

Old 08-01-2006, 12:54 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

just out of curiousity... exactly how many Vipers have you driven to make this comparison?

I've driven the 02' - 05' Vipers, and while yes the Viper is more powerful I'll admit, overall the C6 Vette is just a better all around car. It handles better than the Viper and really sticks to the road around corners at higher speeds, its quieter inside, has a much more comfortable ride for the driver, it produces over 500hp and 470ft-lb of torque in a small block V8 for at least 20-30 grand less than the Viper, and gets between 20-25mpg. Now I dont know about you but I haven't seen a Viper yet that can get that kind of gas mileage or is an actual and practical daily driver like the C6 Vette is. Now dont get me wrong I'm not saying the Viper is the worst car out there or that it doesn't accel in other areas or that its not fun as hell to drive, or that its not fast as hell either cause they are a blast to drive and really throw you to the back of your seat with all that torque but still

Old 08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: 20brewcity02

wait, was the 350 auto?

No it was a manual. Now the poor shifts could be driver error but he's also had a few mustangs, a LS1 Camaro (?), and at one point a 1970 (+/-) Stingray all of which had a manual tranny and shifted very smooth while he was driving them. But as far as power went it was a real disapointment and wasnt at all what I thought it would be. And it was terribly noisy inside and not from the exhaust but from the road. You could hear everything inside it, for a moment I alsmost thought I was driving in my girlfriends Cavilere!

Quick Reply: New Respect