3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MAJOR PAINT EMERGENCY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:37 AM
nos4fuel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAJOR PAINT EMERGENCY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

okay, so I was helping a friend de-badge his car and somehow the goo-be-gone managed to get worked into the paint. We washed it and it lightened a little and then we used Turtle wax and some of it came up but all in all, it's still there. What do I do? Is there any way I can get that **** out of the paint? This blows guys and I need major help to fix this ****.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:56 AM
djr04
All Star
Default RE: MAJOR PAINT EMERGENCY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Best suggestion I can give is to try the standard three step clear coat repair. First, using a medium to heavy aggresive compound and a buffer with a wool pad, buff over the area.(NOTE: Don't let the area get too hot, as you will burn your paint). This should remove the lightness, but will also leave a cloudy, swirled appearance. Next use a glaze with a finishing foam pad to get rid of all of the swirls and cloudiness. Finally finish off with a coat of wax to protect it.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:59 AM
nos4fuel
Veteran

any other ideas guys?

Old 08-13-2006, 05:15 AM
djr04
All Star

Two more ideas for you. (Worked 3 years in a detail shop so I'm full of this kind of info). One, try using a claybar with spray wax as the lubricant; those claybars can be quite impressive at times. And two, if you feel uncomfortable buffing, rubbing a light or medium duty finishing compound or polish with a damp cloth and some elbow grease could also get you the results you want.

Quick FYI:
Heavy compounds: cut into the clearcoat layer, blending and filling scratches, but leaves swirls or a cloudy appearance.
Polishes/Glazes: Fill in the swirly or cloudy appearance left from compounds, also fill most of the small "spiderweb" scratches from dust and leaves a shiny appearance that lasts for ~3 months

Hope one of my ideas gets you the results you need. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:47 AM
nos4fuel
Veteran

ORIGINAL: djr04

Two more ideas for you. (Worked 3 years in a detail shop so I'm full of this kind of info). One, try using a claybar with spray wax as the lubricant; those claybars can be quite impressive at times. And two, if you feel uncomfortable buffing, rubbing a light or medium duty finishing compound or polish with a damp cloth and some elbow grease could also get you the results you want.

Quick FYI:
Heavy compounds: cut into the clearcoat layer, blending and filling scratches, but leaves swirls or a cloudy appearance.
Polishes/Glazes: Fill in the swirly or cloudy appearance left from compounds, also fill most of the small "spiderweb" scratches from dust and leaves a shiny appearance that lasts for ~3 months

Hope one of my ideas gets you the results you need. Good luck.
Worked in a bodyshop eh? I guess I'll be talking to you a lot. I also need an estimate for getting a dent pulled. Where do you live man?

Old 08-13-2006, 12:03 PM
oldVOR

This is one of the pitfalls of using go-be-gone, goof-off or similar products. They are petroleum based and can (will) have a softening effect on painted surfaces.

Let the areas dry over the next few days and the paint will re-harden. If you can press lightly with you finger nail and it leaves an impression, it needs more time to harden. If you don't leave an impression, the methods described by DJR04 are acceptable for refinishing the surface to "like new".

Now, the best approach to removing any adhesive residue left on the paint from taking off the badges is to make a ball from the double-sided foam tape and press the ball onto the residual adhesive left on the paint. The ball of double sided tape will lift the adhesive right off the paint and leave a perfectly clean surface that can then be cleaned and waxed.

Hope this helps for this and future projects!

Old 08-13-2006, 02:20 PM
New2Durango
Professional

I 2nd the Claybar.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:45 PM
djr04
All Star

South east South Dakota. But depending on where that dent is, that could get rather spendy. Seen estimates of 1200 bucks for large dents surrounding door handles. Probably will be pretty cheap if its in the box. My moment of stupidity with that trailer earlier needed to be pounded out, bondo'ed and repainted, cost ~300.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:13 PM
collisiondaddy
Rookie

yea i would try the clay bar b4 anything we always used it at the body shop worked for overspray nicely

Old 08-14-2006, 12:42 AM
nos4fuel
Veteran

ORIGINAL: djr04

South east South Dakota. But depending on where that dent is, that could get rather spendy. Seen estimates of 1200 bucks for large dents surrounding door handles. Probably will be pretty cheap if its in the box. My moment of stupidity with that trailer earlier needed to be pounded out, bondo'ed and repainted, cost ~300.
The dent's on the Hemi badge by the passenger size light. The impact was on the badge and its about the size of your palm. What do you think?

Quick Reply: MAJOR PAINT EMERGENCY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!