3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

limmited slip ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:06 PM
schmedly
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: limmited slip ?

That visco lock is similar to the All Wheel Drive systems in many SUV. My wife's Accura MDX works very close to this concept.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Stroker
Veteran

Every one needs their ***** busted everyonce in a while....though there probably was a little rum involved.

Schmedly, if what your telling my is correct then I may need to take my truck in to the shop. I swear it acts like a locker and not a posi. Dry, wet, sand, clean, hot, cold it just don't matter. I can take off like grampa or like me and either way if I am giving it ANY throttle the tires chirp, it is not letting them spin at different speeds. Is it posible for the LSD to malfunction like this or am I just nuts?....CAN IT HH.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:24 PM
frogslinger
Captain

well I guess it is theoretically possible that this could happen but usually when a LSD goes bad it is because the clutch packs wear out and then you go back to what is essentially an open diff. The only reason that this could happen to my knowledge is if they did not put enough FM in your rear end when they put the fluid in it.... this will prevent the rear unlocking, howev er it also tends to chatter and clatter.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 PM
schmedly
Rookie

You betcha that can happen. My guess is that the last time your differential had the gear oil change, the friction modifier was not put in. I don't know the exact quantity of modifier, but it's something like 6 ounces. Without the friction modifier added, the rear does not want to release. Change out the gear oil and after replacing the cover, add the gear lube and some of the friction modifier. go to a parking lot and do low speed figure eights about four times. You want it to feel tight, but not chirping. Add the modifier to loosen it up and top off with gear lube. If the mechanic that did the last changeout was not aware that it was a LSD or that the modifier was required, it likely was left out. There are some gear lubes that already have modifier in it and that can make it tough to adjust the quantity of each. Many of the synthetics don't "require" it.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Stroker
Veteran

I searviced it myself and I used the high dollar mopar synthetic and the addative but it has been acting this way since it was new. At some point I managed to loose most of my service receipts so I bet that one was lost too.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was my guess too. I changed the rear diff fluid in my 93 dak without the modifier and the same thing happened. Added the modifier and viola, and the chirp was gone.

ORIGINAL: schmedly

You betcha that can happen. My guess is that the last time your differential had the gear oil change, the friction modifier was not put in. I don't know the exact quantity of modifier, but it's something like 6 ounces. Without the friction modifier added, the rear does not want to release. Change out the gear oil and after replacing the cover, add the gear lube and some of the friction modifier. go to a parking lot and do low speed figure eights about four times. You want it to feel tight, but not chirping. Add the modifier to loosen it up and top off with gear lube. If the mechanic that did the last changeout was not aware that it was a LSD or that the modifier was required, it likely was left out. There are some gear lubes that already have modifier in it and that can make it tough to adjust the quantity of each. Many of the synthetics don't "require" it.

Quick Reply: limmited slip ?