3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

limmited slip ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Stroker
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limmited slip ?

So just how agresive are these saposed to be? I can give very little throttled even on good clean roads and I can hear tire chirp from the LSD. Is this more like a locker or is it saposed to allow one tire to free wheel when turning. Don't even get me to talking about driving it on snow or ice because it can't be done. Oh yea this is bad enough that after 24000 mile my back tires are bald.... oh wait that might be because of the Hemi...

OK my spelling still suck but get over it!

Old 08-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: limmited slip ?

You are right, it does take a little finess to drive an LSD on ice and snow. Actually, I drive a lot on Ice and Snow during the winter here in Northern IN and MI. I think the biggest factor is weight in the bed, and seriously finessing the throttle during and comlpleting a turn. I use about 800 lbs of sand bags in the bed of mine during winter months. Plus I have a fiberglass cap also. Once you have the weight, the truck is an animal. Just really gotta watch the turns.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Yellow Runner
All Star

i hate LSD up until now all my trucks had been possi track all the time lot more fun when it does spin but yeah LSD sucks really does trying to come up a hill turning.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
arrowman
Professional

I've never had a problem with LSD in mud or snow.
I live in PA and spent a fair amount of time in sand in southern NJ as well.
I actually prefer it to posi as I can modulate the throttle and use some minor slip to my advantage.
I've driven thru blizzards where there was more than 18" on the road, hard pack snow because my township won't plow the residential areas, and a ton of black ice on Route 80 in my time... LSD to me is the best of both worlds... Locks up when you don't want both to spin, but lets you break them free when you need to whip it around.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:17 AM
HoustonHEMI
Professional

How about once more, only in English this time?

H.H.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:22 AM
arrowman
Professional

Come on, HH...
We're a phonix compatible group, aren't we?
Besides, 3 of us figured out what he was asking....

Old 08-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Stroker
Veteran

I hate fu#$ing wireless keyboards! I guess I should do a better job proofing my stuff, I'll edit that post and fix it but actually no one has answered my question yet. My truck acts like it has a Detroit locker, is that good? I grew up a Chevy fan before I got wise and in the Chevy world Limited Slip is saposed to be less agressive than posi which is less agressive than a locker. Is Dodge different?

Old 08-14-2006, 02:44 AM
schmedly
Rookie

Posi traction is the name that GM uses to describe thier "Limited slip" differential. Ford I believe uses a Trac lock unit and Dodge uses a Trac Rite unit that is called an anti-spin differential. They are all the same type unit made by three different manufacturers. They are all torque biassing units that transfer some of the torque from the spinning wheel to the non spinning wheel. They all require some traction at both wheels to work. If you have a wheel up in the air or on ice, nothing will transfer to the other wheel. These units will allow for the rear wheels to turn at different speeds as is required around turns. A locker, on the other hand, will lock the axle so that both rear wheels will turn the same speed. This does not allow for turning on dry pavement without causing damage. They are used primarily for off road trucks.

Some people will have a little difficulty getting used to a LSD on slippery pavement. The back end has a tendency to break loose. This is something that a person gets used to and adapts thier driving accordingly. I hope that helped.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:54 AM
HoustonHEMI
Professional

~chuckling~ Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up. I mean, it was just to easy. When someone dangles a smart-*** carrot in front of me like that I have to bite...HA!

I've read many Stroker threads and this was the first one I saw in that shape. I figured either he had computer problems or perhaps, just maybe, he was visiting the forum after a late night on the town and had one too many.

Sorry Stroker, just busting your ***** a little...LOL!

H.H.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:14 PM
raidermike67
Veteran

Ok, this th read helped me understand a couple of things. I swore the dealer told me it was called soemthing differently but also explained that without it the tires would wear terribly.

I had a 4WD ATV that had a system called Visco-Loc, which senses slippage and sends enough power to the slipping wheel to even it out, if the tire slips enough it will automatically lock, the best part of this is you never feel it engage or disengage, it only kicks in when needed the rider does nothing.

Quick Reply: limmited slip ?