3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RAM vs F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 AM
starik
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM vs F150

Ok this being a Dodge forum but still..I'm hoping to get objective answers How do the two trucks compare?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 AM
IchWarriorMkII
Default RE: RAM vs F150

My Uncle tried to pass me in his 04 F150 four door the other morning...

Not gonna happen! My 04 Dodge four door (Hemi, duh!) put him away.

In terms of cab size, I think the Ford has a larger rear seat, and shorter bed.

Not so sure on mileage on the Ford...

(On second thought, Im not so sure his is an 04... Ill check on that tomarrow)

Old 09-22-2006, 03:17 AM
arrowman
Professional

There's a reason why Ford is a 4 letter word....

Old 09-22-2006, 06:37 AM
silver06

I did alot of research befor i bought my 06 quad cab hemi, tow package, limited slip, 3.92, and some other options. I think what you should do, and what I did is I went to msn autos searched owner reviews for each model and make of truck I was considering in order of lowest ranked, and from what I saw ford had alot more bad reviews than dodge did, alot of mechanical for ford. most of the dodge remarks were about interior cosmetics. I think this helped me alot seeing owner reviews are from people that actually drive the truck day to day, forums are ok but bias. plus the people that take the time to write the reviews are most likley older and more concerned with quality, and real ownership problems. I know the ford has a bigger payload, and towing capacity than a dodge, but they are so close it really didnt matter to me. The maintence is higher on a dodge than a ford, but there are more things I didnt like about the ford, the bed is small an their quad cab, to deep cant reach in from the side. The ford does have a bigger back seat, but the only people that sit in the back of my dodge are kids and my dog. I could go on and on comparing the two but I will stop.
I picked the dodge based on the reviews, test drive, and from talking to people that owned both, plus the dodge looks alot meaner, has better horse power, and for what you get for the money beats ford. Plus my wife likes the dodge better than ford as far as looks, hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I bought my ram for 3 reasons, 1. I hate fords. Every Ford Ive ever seen is ugly and very very slow (not including the SVT Lightning, Those things are fast). There may be a few semi good looking ones out there but those are the ones that are lifted with big alterain radials and are basically customised everywhere else, not stock in other words. 2. At the time time Dodge was quite a bit cheaper than the new Chevy's, plus from what Ive heard from people who own them the guages stick after a few thousand miles. Now wether or not its a well known problem or not I couldn't tell you but when you ask around and talk to about 10 people and they all say the same thing it kind of hard to ignore. And 3. The power. For a stock pick up under $30,000 the power of the Hemi is by far one of the best most powerful trucks out there. It has an agressive look and the handling on it is alot nicer and firmer than chevy or ford. Mileage wise I think chevy and ford has us beat by like a mile or two but I didnt care to much about that, if I wanted mileage I would have got a 4 banger and called it good. Also the amount of room the driver has in the ram is wonderfull! Im 6'3" and let me tell you it is very comfortable and has alot of leg room and this is in a Reg. Cab 1500! In my opinion dodge is overall a better truck than the others. Its faster, handles better, has plenty of comfort features, and ist more agressively designed than any other stock truck on the road, Wether you go with a bone stock 4.7 to the 5.7L HEMI to the Deisel all the way up to the SRT-10 its just a better all around brand of truck. Also if you want a nice big back seat get the mega cab from what I hear the back seats on those are really nice with plenty of leg room to boot. Again this is just my opinion and Im sure Chevy guys and Ford guys all have their own opinions on their trucks so sure listen to the testimonials and read the reveiws but my advise would be to narrow your choice to 2-3 trucks and then go test drive them all and decide for yourself.....

Old 09-22-2006, 03:38 PM
motorider228
Champion

picked my 06 hemi up yesterday and i LOVE it. i don't have any brand biases or what not, i would own a ford if they made a product i liked but they havent. do a little research and test drive both truck and make sure to get on the hemi when you test drive it. that will make your decision for you.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:18 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(Without being biased) The Ram is more of an in your face truck than the ford, boasting far better power and acceleration. Not to mention its designed to BE used as a truck. Buy the ford if you want modest power (despite their high towing capacity) and acceleration, don't really haul anything, and don't plan on ever ventureing too far off the pavement roads.......for subtleties are its only strong point. I think you would be happier in the dodge but that's just my 2 cents.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:28 PM
fd3sxiong

Now how would you guys compare the 02' with Ford?

Not the Hemi engine...

Old 09-22-2006, 10:12 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a long time F-150 owner. My last Ford was a 04 F-150, prior to that I had a 02, F-150, a 97 F-150 and I had a 95 F-150, all bought new. the 95 and 97 were excellant trucks, never ever had a issue. the 02 and up were garbage and I gave up on the 04 and went to dodge, for the first time.

I will never look at any Ford product again. Dodge still has a nasty reputation, but I strongly beleave dodge has turned up thier quality in comparison to ford, and is better than Ford.

On paper the F-150 is the best truck going, but something really goes amiss out on the assembly line, and Ford dealers are no good for any thing, lousy service and the 5.4 3v is worse on flue than the non mds 5.7 ( axel ratios make a differance + or - )

Ford also puts P rated Hancook tires on thier trucks P275 70 17 and the trucks are fat and heavy and but for low end torque.

The Ford super crew has a bigger back seat and you can get a six and a half foot box on it, the 4.6 is the best engine for the F-150 in ternms of longevity but is last in the Hp race betwean chevy and dodge, 4.8, 4.7

I still hang out at www.f150online.com check out the Ford boys for thier opion on Ford, ( cyclone vampire )

In the ned you will have to drive booth trucks, do your reserch and make a educated dession, as a long time ex Ford guy, I will never ever again support Ford, They have lost me as a customer for life, THe verdict is still out on my 06 Ram, but I have nothing at this time to complain abought...

here's a pic of the 04 Ford and the the 06 2500...

04 F-150 4x4 xlt reg cab 5.4 3v 355 ltd slip
06 2500 ram slt reg cab 5.7 6sp man 373 ltd slip
The 2500 gets a little better mileage than the Ford and has lots of power/torque, the Ford is quicker 0 to 60, due to the gearing of the six sp, but on the high way the hemi is way faster in accleration from 60 mph +

Old 09-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dodge Ram is a real hard core truck owners truck. It is big and built for the demands a pickup truck owner expects. The Ford and Chevy seem to be made for the SUV crowd. The are softer and more PC. Dodge doesnt make any excuses for what it is intended for. Does the Ram's mpg suck?...sure it does. Does it ride abit firmer than the other SUV type trucks?...sure does. I hate the idea that dodge did'nt keep a solid axle in the 1500.
If you want a truck to really use then buy a Dodge. If you want a truck to looks like you might go off roading and want somthing abit tougher looking than your last SUV, then get a Chevy or Ford.

Quick Reply: RAM vs F150