3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:46 AM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Change Question

I have always filled my filters with oil before installing them. I don't like the idea of my engine running for any amount of time withoil. Its just good practice and good peace of mind.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:25 PM
ram2005hemi

On the flip side of the coin, it has never occured to me to pre-fill the filter with oil. I have never done it in 25 years of changing my oil. I am curious about what Dodge recommends. I will have to find out.
Just curious. The ones of you who do this; Do you torque the oil drain plug also when reinstalling?

Old 10-03-2006, 04:45 PM
electrofuzz

I run Castrol Syntec 5W20 and I always fill my filter.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Penzoil 5w-30 synthetic,and always,without fail,fill the oil filter. Dry start up causes premature wear on the bearing surfaces. No,I dont torque the drain plug,but I do use the right size wrench and clean the gasket each time,I have bought used vehicles where some jackass has used a cresant or pipe wrench and buggered up the plug,When I see this I replace the plug.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:53 PM
silverram99
Captain

I have never torqued my oil drain plug, that could be regarded as rediculous along with torquing spark plugs. Filling the oil filter is just good practice but all in all it is your engine treat it how you want.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:53 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I'm not going to reiterate the benefits of filling the filter. Be like Nike and "Just Do It" (if possible). It only takes a few seconds and is super easy.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
JJMHEMI

Like they said, if possible do fill the filter first. Not a huge deal...

My question is this - How do you remove the filter without getting oil everywhere??? !!! Love my Ram, Love my Hemi, but they should have positioned the filter so that it doesn't drip oil all over the chassis and steering parts when you change the oil!

My method involves paper towels and a small funnel that I slip up there to guide the dripping oil into the drainpan after I remove the filter. It helps, but is still messy. Mine's an 05 2wd QC.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 PM
reiderr
Professional

I have a simple solution to avoiding oil spilling out onto the frame and steering mechanism when removing the existing filter. I use a small disposable plastic bowl that we get Chinese carry-out food in. It black plastic, about 6 inches in diameter and about 2 inches tall. It easily fits right under the filter. I first loosen the filter with the wrench. Then, I put the bowl underneath the filter--right up against the filter not down low. The cross member supports the bowl a bit. Then I unscrew the filter with one hand while holding the bowl with the other. Oil spills out and runs down the side of the filter into the bowl. Once the filter is off, I just slide the whole thing forward (to the front of the vehicle) and vola! No spillage anywhere.

Roger...

Old 10-04-2006, 12:57 AM
arrowman
Professional

For the poster that asked, NO, I don't torque my pan plug. I use a hex socket and get it snug... that's all.

In my 03, the filter was mounted at a 30-45 degree angle... it got filled to about 1/2" below the threads, the gasket got smeared with some silicone grease, and installed.

My 06 (THANKFULLY!!!!) has a vertical mount for the filter, so it gets filled to the threads.. Same grease, hand snugged.

I always use the remnants of the quart used to pre-fill the filter as the FIRST bottle I pour into the oil tube... Habit...

I can't honestly make any claims that this makes a difference, but the way I see it, when I first start the motor, I have 3/4ths (minimum!) of a quart WAY CLOSER to the valves than those that start with a DRY filter... And if you've ever filled a filter, you know how long it can take for the medium to soak up oil... I can only believe that filling the filter CANNOT hurt, and PROBABLY helps, prevent wear.... A dry filter will DEFINITELY take longer to pass oil, and MIGHT hurt (by restricting flow) but that difference COULD be negligible....

It all boils down to "Is 1 extra step that CAN'T hurt worth the 'effort' when it COULD HELP"???

Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
khoward

Wow, looks like I hit a few nerves here. I know it only takes an extra minute or two, I had just never heard of anyone doing it. I'll do it from now on. Arrowman, I'm really happy that you have such an expensive boat.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Question