3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
khoward
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Question

I'm about to do my first oil change on my truck and go to synthetic oil. I was just browsing through the forum and in one of the how-to's, the person said to fill the new oil filter with oil before you put it on. I've been changing my own oil for years and have never done this, nor heard of it being done. Do you do this before screwing on the new filter?

Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 PM
fd3sxiong
Default RE: Oil Change Question

ORIGINAL: khoward

I'm about to do my first oil change on my truck and go to synthetic oil. I was just browsing through the forum and in one of the how-to's, the person said to fill the new oil filter with oil before you put it on. I've been changing my own oil for years and have never done this, nor heard of it being done. Do you do this before screwing on the new filter?

No, that's just stupid to fill the new oil filter with new oil. Or he might meant to lubed the filter thread before you screw it on.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:44 PM
khoward

I'm glad I'm not crazy. I always lube the filter gasket before screwing it on. He specifically said to fill the filter with oil.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
HEMINATE

What weight oil are you guys using in the Hemi? 5W-30? What brand? Thanks

Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
nathanp
Captain

we do this with our desiel engines because the filters are so large and take so much oil, but the filter on a gas engine isnt that big, i wouldnt worry about doing it.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:23 PM
ala650le

What weight oil are you guys using in the Hemi? 5W-30? What brand? Thanks

In the HEMI with MDS got to use 5W 20 motor oil. If you don't the MDS won't work right. The dealer done my first oil change @ 3000 miles free of charge. They use Mopar oil 5W 20.

I always fill my new oil filter with oil before putting it on if I can. Builds oil pressure quicker on start up, just makes me feel better.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:55 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Filling the new filter with new oil is hardly "stupid." Required? No. Good idea? Yes.
Sure, it "only" takes a second to fill up the new filter when you put it in dry, but that "just a second"' is not good on the engine, and is 100% preventable wear.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:53 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

Filling the new filter with new oil is hardly "stupid." Required? No. Good idea? Yes.
Sure, it "only" takes a second to fill up the new filter when you put it in dry, but that "just a second"' is not good on the engine, and is 100% preventable wear.
Exactly! The rule I use is if you can fill the filter and install it without spilling the oil out then you should. This is absolutley not a stupid idea.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:32 AM
reiderr
Professional

I run an oversized M1-301 filter on a 6k mi OCI. Since the filter is 2x bigger than the stock sized M1-204, I fill the filter with oil before putting it on. Since the filter mount is vertical, there's no spilling anything. When I didn't fill the filter first, I had several seconds of 2000 rpm operation with zero oil pressure. I heard the bearings tapping "loudly." After that experience, filling the filter is definitely in book as a best practice. OTOH, my Toyota (horizontal) and Caravan (angled) just get the gasket lubed, too much spillage to make filling the filter practical.

Roger...

Old 10-03-2006, 03:22 AM
arrowman
Professional

OMG?!?!
It never occurred to me that there are people out there that actually change their own oil that DON'T fill up the filter before installation.
I thought that was one of those official Miller Lite Man Laws... or did I see the wrong commercial? [8D]

I'd never do that way (dry filter).

Lord only knows what kind of bad things could happen in those few(split?) seconds where oil isn't flowing while the filter is filling (remember, it holds 2/3rds of a qt!!!!)
If you can reduce the "dry time" by filling up the filter, you should... it's cheap/free protection, and makes a lot of sense when you're working on a $30-$40,000 vehicle.

Heck, the filters on my boat, which is powered by twin 3196 Caterpillars, hold 5 quarts each. Each engine holds 8 gallons, and costs $75,000 to replace, NOT including labor....
You better believe those filters get pre-filled at each oil change.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Question