3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

For those of you with CAI's

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you with CAI's

I've been looking into a few CAI's and I have my eye set on one from AFE. Its their Stage 2 High Breather that mounts under the hood where the old air box would be. The setup looks really nice and the numbers coming out from the tests/Dynos are really impressive too. The only thing that is semi raising a red flag on this system is that the setup connects to the intake's resonator under the hood. How will this affect the sound, Power, and Performance if any?

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/afepic/afehb10.jpg

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/afepic/afehb13.jpg

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/afehigh.htm

Old 10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
cupcake
Professional
Default RE: For those of you with CAI's

$400 is alot of money for an intake. I might consider it if I wasn't getting the functional MOpar srt-10 hood intake. They are going to have a hard time selling those for that price the higest i've seen was 280$ but this blows it out of the water.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:46 PM
king beer

I had a 1998 Intrepid ES and bought a K&N CAI for it.. it seemed to help some.. so, when i got rid of that for my dakota V-8, i went ahead and bought one for that.. I can't believe the change in intake sound... It's unbelievable.. it sounds like an actual truck now! Since i've had good luck with K&N, i will recommend them to anyone.

beers.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:06 PM
silverram99
Captain

AFE makes great stuff, I have installed alot of their Stage 1 and 2 intakes on 3rd Gen diesels at work. I would side with the other guy and say that $400 is alot for an intake. Especially no more than there is to that one. I would keep looking for a K&N and check out sbfilters.com. I have one of their kits on my truck now and I like the way it is put together.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:31 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

tHE price Im getting it for is around $275 not the $400 - $500 price the actual company sells them for. Mainly though Im more interested on how the truck is going to sound if the CAI is ran through the intakes resonator. Obviously it should be less noisey but I dont want it to quiet. Does anyone have their CAI ran through their Resonator?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:13 PM
nathanp
Captain

in my opinion i wouldnt buy that. Even if you are getting it for around $280 you can buy a full intake that goes rgiht to the throttle body for that price and get a way better improvement and sound. Plus that isnt a CAI either, a cold air intake goes down to inside the fender not just to the stock air box location.

For the sound, it will be a little louder from stock but not much, i doubt u will hear it alot.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I relize that this system doesn't go down the fender like most CAI's do however not All CAI's go down the fender well. The reason why Im more interested in this one wrather than their other Stage 2 CAI that drops down the side of the fender is because I dont want any water or dirt to go up into my intake when I take my truck up camping or if it ever rains. The only difference between this one and the other one is obviously the location, its ran throught the resonator and not directly mounted to the intake, and there is maybe 3-4HP difference. The box on it is also setup so that it takes the air coming straight in from your front end/grill as well as the fender well. Plus the heat sheilds on 5 of the 6 sides make a big difference too.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:56 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

I've got the Ebay CAI on mine and I love it. Cheap, loud, and functional. Only $75 shipped for the Stage III.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:12 AM
mmorgan78

I'm with you, Dirty.
I wouldn't worry about water getting in there, as long as you have a hood and your wheel-well liners are in place. I immagine if you were really swimming through deap stuff you'd be looking for a snorkel.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22316/094785CBE74041F99D0CB5533783180C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-03-2006, 03:39 AM
arrowman
Professional

Great picture, Morgan!!!!
I'm still pissed that I didn't have my camera or cell phone on me when I pulled my cousin's F350 Super Duty out last hunting season!
It was priceless to see my rig with stock, slick as hell, rubber bail him out of a drift after he burried his truck to the axels.
He had his camera phone on him, but refused to let me grab a picture... and he still bashes Dodge every chance he gets.... [:@] Some folks never learn.