3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ticking on hemi and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM
2004dodgehemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking on hemi and other issues

So i believe this is normal but when the hemi is runningat idle you hear a ticking noise. the dealer said that is normal.. any one else have this? get it fixed??
also the hemi looks like crap almost like it is pitting not rusting just like the forged steel looks bad.

Also I am looking to do some mods to my stock truck. don't want to spend a fortune so which should I start with the intake or exhaust?

and what brand see lots of you have volant theyclaim pretty decent increases are these accurate or a one time number?

Old 10-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ticking on hemi and other issues

I have an '04 and it ticks a bit,nothing bad enough to worry about.The pitting and graying on your engine is the aluminum reacting to moisture,causes gray corrosion,clean with a good brass brush and something like Dawn dishwashing detergent,then wax,or polish with Mothers if its a shiney part use a toothbrush.This will afford a small degree of protection for a couple of months.If it really bothers you,remove the offending part,remove corrosion and clear coat with a good spray paint like Krylon,their clear coat works well,I use it on aluminum parts on my Demon,lasts for years without chipping or peeling,just make sure the surface is clean and oil free.Acetone works well to remove any residual oil.Use rubber gloves when handleing acetone as it will remove tour skin oils also,this is very uncomfortable

As far as mods go,I would put a Flowmaster or Borla muffler on first,I like hearing mine! but thats all subjective,what ever makes you happy is whats best for you!.You cant go wrong with a good CAI either,I have the K&N and I love it,but there are many to choose from,you will get lots of differing opinions on which is best,but as far as I can tell,any reputible brand will suffice!

Old 10-12-2006, 03:15 PM
2004dodgehemi

If i leave alone will it make a difference or should I polish the engine? Rather not and don't really care what it looks like just don't want it to cause the engine to fail or be short lived.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

It wont hurt it,it would take a lifetime of exposier to do any serious damage to the engine.The gray coating acts like petina on Copper or Brass,after a while it actually protects the metal from furthrt corrosion.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Hemitough

my hemi ticks and i took it in to the dealer and they said its normal but when i get on it i can hear it especially up next to cars.. just another dodge flaw!!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 06:04 PM
GreyHemi

My truck ticks also.... I just havent thought about getting it looked at

Mods.... all i have is and air raid cold intake system, flowmaster, hypertech, fixing to add headers

Old 10-14-2006, 10:18 AM
ryno347

i have a 2003 2500 ram with the hemi and at 38000 miles the front shocks and steering dampner had to be replace and I asked the dealer about the same ticking noice and I was told it is because of the shape of the exhaust manifolds, they are square instead of rounded so when the exhaust exits into the manifold it bounces off the manifold and makes that ticking noice. He said the is what dodge told him because he had a number of complaints on that. I would like to upgrade to the mopar headers and I would think the would get rid of the noise if what he said is true. Has anyone put headers on there hemi and still have that noise. I hate it.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

My tick changed slightly with the addition of headers,it is more of a "ting"sound that I associate with headers on my other cars and cars of the past,it does not bother me ,Alittle more or less gas seems like it goes away. Just a quirk of the engine I guess. I still have another noise like an exhaust leak,but its not,never heard it untill I installed the CAI. I put the stock air box back on and it went away.K&N told me the CAI acts like a speaker,magnifying any engine noise and that it was normal.So I just live with the noises,I have gotten used to them now and it doesnt bother me anymore

Old 10-14-2006, 05:50 PM
silentblinder9502
Professional

Here you go, I got this from DT and it is concerning the HEMI TICK

This just in. I finally got sick of all the talk and speculation about the hemi tick. i got it on my truck and i have worked on a dozen of these at the dealership. I called the STAR engineers at chrysler. they have come up with an answer. On many of the hemi engines the ticking noise is none other than the exhaust valves. according to chrysler engineers the tick is caused by excessive valve stem to valve guide clearence. MOPAR has now revised the exhaust valves with fatter (29 microns) stems. the part number for the valves is : 53021551AB

according to chrysler the valves should be isolated and replaced as necessary. I am going to replaced the exhaust valves in my bee next week. i'll let you know if it works

Old 10-20-2006, 02:48 AM
eds2003ram
Professional

hey guys I just posted Another tread on this same issue and basicly got the same bull from my dealer. Silentblinder your explanation was the latest I've heard . Please keep us informed, and if this solves the problem, I hope your conections set up a recall.

Quick Reply: ticking on hemi and other issues