3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Awful mpg's for Power Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:01 AM
DCXgageman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Awful mpg's for Power Wagon

OUCH!! My overhead said I was getting 13.4mpg, so I guessed/assumed around 13mpg. Well, I filled up this morning and just did a manual calculation, it was 12.4 mpg, unloaded. I guess I shouldn't have guessed![8D]
I tried using 87 octane...it didn't seem to run as well and mileage dropped 1 mpg. I always use 89 octane now.
I found the same thing.
...how they justify spending money on performance to their wives!
Lol, I have a buddy who does that constantly with his non-turbo pt cruiser. My tired neon still owns him in performance and mileage. So does my heavy pt, with a stick.
I have crunched the numbers
Yeah, I just did the same crunchin' myself. If I spent $2000 for enhancements and could get 2 mpg (which, how I drive, I absolutely doubt) from 12.4 to 14.4 it would take 85,000 miles, unloaded. Naw, can't justify for mileage either.

Two other points; I hit two large puddles this morning, just driving to work, on the right side. It would have soaked a CAI and I personally don't like my engines ingesting anything but air and fuel. I've also heard issues with transmission shifts and torque converter lock up while using a programmer while towing. I don't know if these were isolated incidents, but I don't want to take the chance.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 PM
motorhead426
All Star

ORIGINAL: DCXgageman

Thanks for bringing up the fan again. I would have to guess that this is the cheapest way to get mpg improvements. You said before you bought a kit from summit. Did it include everything, including belt?
Yes it included everything. But there is no need to change the belt. All you do is unbolt your mechanical fan, and mount up the electric fan on the back of the radiator. I bought FLX-180. Its Flex-a-lite's Extreme 180 model, and it pushes 3300cfm, more than anything in its size that will fit the Ram radiator.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am getting 2-4mpg better than you. You have two things that are getting you worse than my 2006 HD 2500q 4x4 truck. You have 33" tires and 4:56 gearing to account for. You are driving a truck that was designed for rock-crawling and off-road duty exclusively. Its the nature of the beast.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:59 PM
nos4fuel
Veteran

some ways to gain mpg are 1) use 89 fuel (which you are already doing). 2) switch to full synthetics (this will save your motor too). 3) KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT 4) run fuel injector cleaner every third or fourth oil change 5) headers 6) overdrive pulley 7) electric fan. 8) K&N drop-in filter 9) IF HEMI...try a 6.1L cam swap and some valve springs.

I mentioned the drop-in because you dont want a CAI. Well I have the drop-in and I gained 1 mpg. Also, i noticed a little more top-end but not much. It just makes the truck move better and it LOVES cold weather.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 AM
robert5662

I just drove from augusta ga to vero fl which is about 452 mi and made it on a little over 3/4 tank, 70 mph cruise controll. The tuner cai and banks cat back all added up to better mileage. I have 31500 mi and it has leveled off now i also run full synthetic and 35" mt's. My next upgrade will be headers and a torque converter but i cant make up my mind on which first jba cat4ward or aps converter. 37's will be next too once i get my rancho lift installed its sitting in the garage waiting till i can afford 4 more bfg mt's

[IMG]local://upfiles/28431/523CA09AEABE40B6B99D4B5AC1D193BC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2006, 01:14 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

It is a massive truck. Don't expect good mpg. Why would you buy a power wagon and even think about your mpg?

Don't believe the sticker either. Consumer Reports did a story last year saying sticker mpg was way off. Some by 20% when compared to real world driving.
I have a massive truck and I get 17's on the hiway [sm=alcoholic.gif] sorry couldnt resist.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:56 PM
cmoschip
Rookie

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

ORIGINAL: DCXgageman

Thanks for bringing up the fan again. I would have to guess that this is the cheapest way to get mpg improvements. You said before you bought a kit from summit. Did it include everything, including belt?
Yes it included everything. But there is no need to change the belt. All you do is unbolt your mechanical fan, and mount up the electric fan on the back of the radiator. I bought FLX-180. Its Flex-a-lite's Extreme 180 model, and it pushes 3300cfm, more than anything in its size that will fit the Ram radiator.
How did that install go for the FLX-180? Does it mount well or have to be "made to fit"? I'm worried about fans that come with those installation tie-wraps that go through the radiator itself - those bother me.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:47 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cmoschip

How did that install go for the FLX-180? Does it mount well or have to be "made to fit"? I'm worried about fans that come with those installation tie-wraps that go through the radiator itself - those bother me.
I installed one of those once. The vibration transferred to the radiator caused it to crack/leak.
Never again...

Old 10-19-2006, 02:53 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

Did you guy's know that you can reset the MPG computer at any time and get "real time" averaging. I didn't know this until a friend told me. I just assumed it averaged over the whole tank of fuel, and had to be reset on fill-up only.
So- like coasting downhill... I get nearly 40mpg!!! [sm=happybounce.gif]

Re: drift. Mine has none.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:36 AM
DCXgageman
Veteran

So- like coasting downhill... I get nearly 40mpg!!!
LMFAO, yeah I knew you can do that. I like to reset before I drive like A$$ [sm=icon_rock.gif] and see how poor my mileage.[8D]

Quick Reply: Awful mpg's for Power Wagon